1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Moving to newjersey, US for first time with kids. Pl help me !

Discussion in 'Indians in New Jersey' started by ChitraAravind, Apr 2, 2013.

1. ChitraAravind

ChitraAravind New IL'ite

Hi ,
    I m moving to newjersey by june end. This is first time to US. Taking one 5yr old and one 5 months old kids with me. My husband went there in march. I m scared. Pl help me to know about life there. Do's and dont 's there. Rules etc. what should i pack for kids and what not. Should i drive car there. What will i get thr and what not. My husband could nt answer all these. He too new thr and just looking for a rental home for us in piscataway.
    Pllllll plll help somebody :hide:

2. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

3. kirru

kirru Silver IL'ite

Hi chitra,
    Don't worry. For ur 5 year old kid every thing will b fine. If ur 5 months old is on breast feed then no need to worry.if he is on formula bring some extra formula containers with you because baby might take few days to get transistion from one formula to other.coming to cereal for ur baby fine no need to pack extra packets u can get them here.
    And its better to carry stroller with u to carry ur baby.
    They will allow the stroller till the flight.and u can even carry food stuff for ur kid and baby to feed in flight.
    It's better to carry general medicines like for fever, cold , pain killers for u and for kids...
    Coming to life style here, it will take a couple of weeks to adjust because of jetlag and all
    And we have many Indian groceries here so u can get almost every thing .
    U can also bring pressure cooker and extra gaskets and washers ofcorse u will find them in few Indian stores here too but it's expensive.
    U can drive the car if u have NJ's license if not u have to take license test.
    If u have further queries pls let me know

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  4. ChitraAravind

ChitraAravind New IL'ite

Thank u so much kirru for taking time to answer me. Do u know anything about school timings? And is there any playgroup for my younger one. My kid speaks only tamil. Can he manage his school. Is there any holiday club for kids so that i can put him there to start speak in english. I m really worried in that part.

5. ChitraAravind

ChitraAravind New IL'ite

Thank u dinny. That post helped me as well.

6. bong

bong Bronze IL'ite

Handy guide indeed!!

7. TheBeliever

TheBeliever Silver IL'ite

Hey thr!

Dnt worry..I am in Edison near Piscataway only...Here thr r lots of Indians...u dnt even feel u r in the US..and regarding school timing they have 2 batches(shifts )...my kid is in a spl prog in public school...u need to call n talk to the school board of education n its not tough...they r very friendly...u have lots of communities here...i think in school if u mention abt language difficulties they will put him up in english fluency classes b4 admission...i will chk with some parents here n let u know...U will get everything here as in India...But vessels r too costly here...so bring Idli cooker,tava,basic vessels,cooker with safety valves,gaskets(extra) and Mixer with a tool kit...It will be very useful...Hope this info will help u...feel free to contact me wen u come here...:thumbsup

8. laavy

laavy New IL'ite

Hi TheBeliever,

I will be moving to NJ this month. I am looking for apartments in Edison/Piscataway. Do you have any idea about Tanglewood Terrace apartments. Could you please suggest some apartments where there are Indians.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Laavy