1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Moving to New jersey from Delhi (India)...Need urgent help !!

Discussion in 'Indians in New Jersey' started by charuatdelhi, Sep 10, 2011.

1. charuatdelhi

charuatdelhi New IL'ite

Hello everyone,

My husband an i are moving to NJ for 1 year, and i needed some help on the same.

Since he would be working in NY (Madison avenue), need to know about good neighbourhoods in NJ for housing. We dont have kids, and would want to rent a 1BHK. I have been researching and have come across Newark, jersey city, New milford as good options, though i am not sure. can you please suggest areas we can look for a house in , in a rental range of 800 to 1100 $ ?

Also we just started packing and need advice on what all to carry. Amongst utensils i have heard a Tawa, belan (Chapatti rolling pin), Pressure cooker is a must however they are also very space consuming. Hence kindly advice me on the space, esp on utensils and kitchen stuff (masalas etc.)

I am also packing couple of woollens and plan to buy rest of the clothes from there.

Please let me know if i am missing onto anything.

Thanks in advance :)

Regards

2. writeme

writeme Silver IL'ite

Dear Charu,

Welcome to NJ! Hope you'll enjoy your stay here. Please go through the forum Housing in NJ - IndusLadies, you'll get lots of inputs. You may want to avoid Newark, it is not a very safe place for family. Jersey City is expensive, so not sure if you'll find 1BHK in your budget. But JC has lots of Indians, and all kinds of Indian grocery and other stuff are available. You'll find all those you mentioned in NJ, but can be a lil more expensive. You'll also need a mixie/blender; you can bring 110V mixie if you wish. The indian mixers here are expensive or you may choose less expensive US blenders too.

Please go through various sub-forums in NJ forum, you'll find lots of useful information.

Good Luck,
    Indu

3. Meenaraman

Meenaraman New IL'ite

You guys would be here for the first. I stay @ newport,NJ came to US, 4 months back.The best part with this area is that you don't need a car to commute. All the shopping places are @ walking distance even Path, NJ Transit train station are just 4-5 minutes walk.

My husband work in NY. For him it takes only 35-40 minutes from Newport, NJ to office. But the thing is here rent is high. You can find rented houses at Grove, Journal Sq at cheaper rent.

4. karunya56

karunya56 New IL'ite

It depends onmany things.
    Onavg travel to city for NJ commuter is 30-60 min. But I guess you live in Delhi so i am sure you can understand this.
    The closer you live to NYC (Manhattan) the price shall be higher for 1BR.
    And all the Neighborhoods are not the same, From your List Newark is not livable, Jersey city is crowded.
    If it comes to me i prefer a calmer and nice neighborhood, so go farther on the PATH track. look on the train track and see what towns are on the track and look for the apartments. BOL.

5. charuatdelhi

charuatdelhi New IL'ite

Thank you so much for the advie people :)

There has been an update, my husband will be reporting to his office in paramus and not NYC. So we have completely altered our search and started looking more in Bergen county mainly Fair lawn, bergenfield, richfield, new milford, lodi, hackensack etc.

I was going through the posts and i realized we have a sizeable indian community living there. Hopefully we can find a good home nearby in our rent budget. Please pour in more advices !! :)

Thanks !

6. charuatdelhi

charuatdelhi New IL'ite

Hey,

We have finally shortlisted 2-3 houses in hackensack, will be finalized by this weekend. Though facing a lot of problems on commuting front till the time we dont get a car.

Regards

7. Navreet

Navreet New IL'ite

Hi welcome to Bergen county, one of the best place in nj. calm quite high scale and best malls... but with all this there is lack of public transport, as people do afford cars...If you have finalised, its good, there are other descent places like New Milford, River edge, see the njtransit.com , time tables so that your husband has less of walking distance from home to bus stop and then to office. i think couple of bus numbers,,756, etc. Right tawa, belan, pressure cooker are main, chooper /mixie you can buy very cheap here for say $10-15, don't get any electronics, beacuse they won't work here, voltage difference.. also don't get alot of woolens , beacuse indoore are warm and outside you have to have a big jacket , which is better if u buy from here.. good luck with the move.