1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Moving to New Jersey - Discussion Lounge

Discussion in 'Indians in Edison' started by AnjuMahendran, Apr 6, 2007.

1. mbhatt

mbhatt New IL'ite

I am glad that you had hearty laugh that kept you rolling, unfortunately it didn't answer my question. IL is one of the means to research on internet and thats what I have started with.
    My question are - Does Oxford arms area offer good schooling? are there any Indian families with kids of same age group 8-14 years? I am asking these questions since I felt IL is here to help each other irrespective of geographical boundaries.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
  2. writeme

writeme Silver IL'ite

HI NJ Ladies,

We are relocating to NJ soon and the place is totaly new for us. My husband's work location is near to Exchange Place in Jersey City. Can anyone help us in finding an apartment? Our prefer a calm and quiet area, with good indian community. I have heard of edison, but wonder if the commutng time will be more. Can you please suggest some nearby residential areas? I also would like to know about the modes of public transportation available. Tried checking few sites, but for me, all looked so confusing..Sorry abt that :idea

We are looking for a 1 BHK, what are the possible rent rates? Heard that rents are cheaper than in San Francisco Bay Area.

Thank You!!

Indu

3. Amitha

Amitha Senior IL'ite

Thanks ladies for already having this thread and giving some wonderful suggestions to others.

My DH will get transferred to NYC for work sometime during next month. I am currently in India and planning to come during next month. We are confused whether to live in NYC OR in NJ. We have 2 children - one 4 years 7 months and the other is 1 year 3 months. I am more concerned about my DS1's schooling. So whatever be the place where we move, we are looking at areas which are having good schools. So if you ladies could tell me: -

(1) Places in NJ which are having good schools
    (2) How far these places are from NYC - how much time my DH will have to be spending to travel to & from office
    (3) What could be the rent in these areas

Please help me :help

4. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Amitha,

Welcome to States and to IL. There are lot of discussions, actually in depth analyzed, try to search the forums in NJ section. You will get loads of information.

Unless you are earning quite handsomely, renting in NY city in a good area is not easy and affordable. studio would cost somewhere around $1500 - $2000. My friend is renting in upper west side for $3000, for a one bedroom. Other places like queens, brooklyn, bronx, long island is bit cheaper, but could to find the right place as its a mixed neighborhood both racially and financially ;-)

5. Amitha

Amitha Senior IL'ite

thanks nandhu for reply. We cannot afford to live in NYC looking at the rent rates you are telling. So NJ would be a better idea. Can you ladies please tell me which areas have good elementary schools in NJ and what would be the rent for these areas. Thanks in advance.

6. amritak

amritak New IL'ite

Hi Everyone,
    We are moving to NJ from Boston. My husband's office will be at Wall Street, NYC. Please suggest me a decent location where we can find indians and easy to commute. We don't have kids. Please help me as we don't have any idea about NJ locations.

I heard about Blueberry villege and Oxford arm, Edison...Is anyone residing there...Your inputs will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ami

7. himyths

himyths New IL'ite

Hi Amrita,

Check out Jersey City around Newport/Pavonia PATH (Port Authority of New Jersey and New York trans Hudson) station or around the Journal Square PATH station. The two areas have a sizeable Indian population. Newark Avenue in the Journal Square area has the Mahatma Gandhi Square with many Indian grocery shops and restaurants among other things. But the Newport area is well-maintained as it is part of downtown Jersey City. It also has a beautiful view of the Hudson river, the Atlantic ocean, and the Manhattan skyline.

Another advantage is the wonderful public transport system in the two areas. I have lived in both these areas. If you live in Newport, you could take the PATH train to World Trade Center or the ferry to Wall Street. If you live in Journal Square, you could take the PATH train to World Trade Center or NJ Transit/private bus to 42nd street and 8th Avenue.

If you are in Edison, you need to drive yourself to the closest station (Metropark/Iselin or Edison or Metuchen) and take the NJ Transit train to Penn Station at NYC.

We moved to Edison as it is a better school district than Jersey City. In your case, it doesn't matter because you don't have kids as yet. You could always take a train to Edison or even drive to Edison from Jersey City if you want to. It will be only about 30 minutes. Blueberry Village and Oxford Arm that you mentioned in your message are gated communities in Edison.

Edison is a nice town to raise a family. But if you are a working couple with no kids as yet, Jersey City would be a better bet. Technically, Jersey City is part of the New York Metropolitan Area. Its proximity to New York City, especially downtown, is its best advantage.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
    Mythili

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  8. himyths

himyths New IL'ite

Hi Amitha,

Welcome to US and NJ/NY....:)

I would suggest Jersey City for you too just as I did for Amrita in the same thread...

Three reasons:
    Proximity to NYC: Your husband will take about 30 min to and 30 min from workplace and will be able to spend more time with you and the kids and waste less time and energy on travel.
    Abbott program for your older son at a public school: As your older son is only 4 years and 7 months old and not yet 5, he can't go to Kindergarten this year. But he can join the 4-year old pre-K program in select public schools in Jersey City, which is one of the Abbott districts in NJ.
    Good Public Transport System: You won't have to depend on a car. Your husband could use the public transport system to work at NYC (see my mail to Amrita for more info). When he is away, you could take your sons to enrichment programs and just walk or take the bus, train or lightrail.

By the way, you could even take the lightrail to Hoboken YMCA for enrichment programs for both of your sons or the Little Gym of Jersey City on Grand Street or Music Together at Newport and Kindermusik on Jersey Avenue and the five public libraries among other places.

Check out rentals in Jersey City in Craigslist. For all practical reasons, Jersey City is the NJ suburb of NYC:) Newport Area and its surrounding areas could be pricey but Journal Square and its neighboring Jersey City Heights are less expensive. Everything is relative. Check out the rentals at Craigslist again.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
    Mythili

9. amritak

amritak New IL'ite

Thanks a lot Mythili !!!!! But I heard Journal square and Jersy city are not safe areas....Please let me know if it is true.....
    Where do you reside at Edison? We would also prefer a safe area with decent rent.
    Your suggestion in this regard will be really helpful for us.

Thanks & Regards,

Amrita

10. himyths

himyths New IL'ite

Well....Amrita, I would say that is a common misconception that Journal Square and Jersey City in general is not a safe area. It is safe. A couple of decades back, the profile was different. Now, with increasing influx of highly skilled labor from India and rest of the world, the profile has undergone a significant change. That is the analysis given by locals who have been here for a really long time.

If you want 'safer' havens, you could check out any part of Edison, if you are particular about living in a predominantly Indian neighborhood. Otherwise, you could check any part of NJ that is convenient to you from a commute perspective for your husband. As for 'decent' rent, it is all relative. You could check out craigslist for a wide range. Jersey City is a little pricier because of its proximity to NYC. The suburbs that are at a little distance but not too far could give you more attractive options. Again, it is for you to check and decide. As for me, I live in South Edison.

All the best for your move,

Regards,
    Mythili