Moving To London In July - Please Help

Discussion in 'Indians in London' started by mithra1487, Jun 7, 2016.

1. mithra1487

mithra1487 New IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

My husband, my 3-year-old and I are moving to London in July. My husband would be working in Canary Wharf. I'm very confused as to where we can look for a house. People have suggested Eastham and Croydon. I would love it if you can give me suggestions for a place which has a good Indian population and a school where I can put my daughter in.

We are looking for a place for around 800-900 pounds. I'm not sure if I should go for a studio apartment or a 1 bedroom flat. All your suggestions will be greatly appreciated ladies.

TIA.

2. SWadhwa

SWadhwa New IL'ite

Hi.. As far as my experience goes with the house search around the area you have mentioned,you might have to increase the rental amount. To have a fair idea why not go online to get an idea for houses that should be accessible to your husband's office in canary wharf. You will have to keep another 100-200 pounds extra for monthly taxes etc...
    U might check airbnb uk site for some immediate check in ..in case you might need some time to search for a long term house.

3. Blissfulworld

Blissfulworld New IL'ite

HI there,
    No lady here :) . I wouldn't suggest East Ham. It isn't a good place to live as a family anymore. Try E14 (Island Gardens, Mudchute, CrossHarbour). 800-900 will fetch you only a single room in a shared house in these areas. For your budget you will have to look perhaps in Zone 4 and above. There are pockets of Indian population in Harrow ,Ilford. Education is free in primary schools. Your kid should be Ok now. Once your child goes to secondary you will have to decide if you can afford a grammar school. You can try staying a bit far(Your husband needs to commute some distance) by finding some place in Kent (Dartford perhaps) . Again Kent is a huge place. Studio will be too tiny.