1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Moving To Chicago

Discussion in 'Indians in Chicago' started by violetsnroses, Jun 1, 2016.

1. violetsnroses

violetsnroses New IL'ite

Hello Ladies,
    Its such a relief to see a forum dedicated to Chicago! Guess, I shall get many answers!
    We are planning to move to Chicago in end of July/early August from India. My husband's office will be in downtown near to Union station. Have 2 daughters in 2nd and 5th. Looking for appts. So ladies, please give your suggestions. Being new, we are open to locations, criteria being good schools and appt near to metro stop so that my husband can travel conveniently. Heard that Naperville has v good schools!
    Looking forward to answers from you all. Thanks in advance!

2. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Welcome to Indusladies and to Chicago!

Plenty of suburbs in Chicago have great schools. One does not have to go as far as Naperville to access good schools. In fact Chicago itself has good schools. The suburbs closest to Chicago offering an easy commute and a good school system are Evanston, Wilmette to the North and Oakpark to the west. If you would like to go further, Arlington heights, Mount Prospect also have good metra access and great schools. These suburbs have cheaper apartments too. Naperville is very large, most often you would need a car ride to access the metra. You will find more metra stops and plenty of apartments within walking distance of the Metra as well as the CTA in suburbs like Evanston and Oak park. Devon with plenty of Indian stores is a 10 minute drive from Evanston.

Question to you is : How long of a commute does your husband prefer?

3. violetsnroses

violetsnroses New IL'ite

Hey thanks! Shall definitely look into areas you have suggested. Will search out appts in suburbs you have suggested. Pl suggest names of appt and school in suburbs you have suggested which would help to narrow down on search.
    Husband would be fine with 40-45 mins of travel. And prefer appts walkable to Metra so that winters are manageable and saves time too.
    Thanks a lot again!

4. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Not sure if you understand how huge Chicago and its suburbs are!

You will have to visit these places and decide which one you are most comfortable living in. Then choose apartments and school. Each of these school districts have more than 10 schools at the minimum. Also most places will not have many apartments within walking distance to the metra. The exception is Evanston. Once you decide on the suburb, I might be able to tell you about schools. However I am not a realtor, so I can point you to resources but cannot give you a list of apartments in every suburb.

Naperville is further than 45 min commute to downtown. Good luck deciding.