1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Moving to Chicago.. Need help

Discussion in 'Indians in Chicago' started by roopa16, Oct 8, 2007.

1. roopa16

roopa16 New IL'ite

Hi,
    I am writing from chennai, India. I will be travelling to chicago next month with my spouse and 18 month old son.. I am actually kinda worried abt the weather there.. since we are not used to the harsh weather.. Can you gimme some tips regarding that on wht to buy?

I want to know whether indian foods and groceries are easily available there.. or i need to carry anything from India. Since we are vegetarians and i shud not face any problem esp. for my son..

Tnx,
    Roopa.

2. ssubhasr

ssubhasr Silver IL'ite

Hi roopa,

Welcome!!!

First let me know the type of apartment which your husband had chosen ? So far as i knw all the rental apartments have both cooler and warmer. And even most of the houses will have carpets. So you dont need to worry abt the whether.

The next thing is - it better u bring only one thick swetter kind of cloth for u people and especially for your son. Because the winter is on its way! And you wil feel so cool as soon as u enter the chicago airport. But dont buy any leather or fur coats in India. You wil get everything here at cheaper cost if u buy next month before a proper winter starts.

Finally about the food - We Indians are always worried about this. For your child you will get lot of healthy and hygenic baby food. And we have lot of Indian stores here in US, where you will get all type of Indian Cereals (like Thoor dhal, moong dhal, urad dhal, asafodida, fenugreek etc.).

My sincere advise would be "Dont bring soo may clothings either for you or ur family" Espeacially costly clothes. Because the washing machines here are very poweful and your costly clothes wil be destroyed in 3 or 4 washes. You can purchase as many clothes here after December 25th (i.e. the day after christmas - a big discount sale - discount sale means "A real discount sale" not like our country)

Trust this helps you!!!:wave

Warm Regards,

3. beulahland

beulahland New IL'ite

yeah I would agree with the shopping advice ... However I would recommend shopping the day after Thanksgiving in November ... because thats when the sale is AMAZING!!!

Also there are stores around in most cities ... and if you can't find nothing, you can always shop online ( I have never tried it though)

bon voyage!

4. ssubhasr

ssubhasr Silver IL'ite

Yeah! you are rite...i forgot the thanks giving day....you are 100% correct

warm regards:clap

5. roopa16

roopa16 New IL'ite

Hi,
    Tnx a lot. Coz i thought of shopping for woollens this weekend. Actually it is quite expensive here. No idea abt the accomodation, but i think we may stay in the apartment provided by the company...Bye.

Thnx & Regs
    Roopa.

6. shree

shree Silver IL'ite

hi roopa,

welcome to chicago. u need not worry as the whether here will worsen only in dec and in jan. nov not much cold but still u have wear some jackets and gloves, u will get used to that. once if jan comes u will say nov is much much better

if u can say the place where u guys might come in chicago i can suggest u the items u can bring with u. but where ever u r planning to come in chicago u get most of the stuff here. me too vege so odn't worry, u can find even the veg hotel here. also there is palce called devon ave u get everything there if u don't see the $ then definetely u get everything

just let me know if u need any info about anything

7. shree

shree Silver IL'ite

hi roopa,

get some basic wollen to manage from the airport to the hotel or apt. though it is not much cold u will definetely need them. also get some gloves if possible. fcheck the gloves, when my inlaws came they gave the gloves both for the same hand,

8. sunithareddy

sunithareddy New IL'ite

Hey Gals, Where do you all stay here...I stay in Schaumburg.

9. shree

shree Silver IL'ite

hi sunitha,

i live in westmont which is a suburb.

10. Anusuresh

Anusuresh New IL'ite

HI Sunitha, which is the apartment that you live in Schaumburg?