1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Moving to Burlington/Oakville area

Discussion in 'Indians in Toronto & vicinity' started by subin, Aug 25, 2011.

1. subin

subin New IL'ite

Hi ALL
    We will be moving from India to Canada by mid of Oct.we will be staying in Burlington / Oakville area as that will be the closest for my husbands office....Please advice which will be the good friendly area with Indians around.....Will it be adviceable to go for furnished apts or unfurnished apts

I have two kids age 6 and 4, i would like to know about schools ....R all schools good or should we go on rating basis....

I would be happy to hear from you all...
    Thanks in advance..

Regds
    Subin

2. anmolhai

anmolhai Platinum IL'ite

Hi Subin
    I live in burlington and we like it. Between Oakville and Burlington we liked Burlington better as the property prices are not SO high for the same size. I would say the schools are all good in this area. Depending on which appartment/condo you choose the closest school will be your kids school. SO if you want a specific school then look for apts near that.Are you coming for a short time ? as you are considering furnished app???
    Let me know if you need to know anything else :) always happy to help.

3. subin

subin New IL'ite

Hi Anmolhai

Thanks a lot for the reply.....we r coming there for 3 yrs as of now...so we r not sure if to go for furnished or unfurnished apartment...we r looking for options but i find furnished apts very expensive in the rental sites..Could you pls advice me any rental sites ....Could you also pls tell me the diff bet condo and apt and town house and which will be better option for a family size like mine.. ..i don't feel comfortable abt this common laundry system..i guess apts have this..

Schools I have gone thru this Fraser institute rating and just saw the school names but i don't know if these schools with higher rating are good and moreover i need a school where i can put both my kids together...Do you have any specific school that i should look for..

4. anmolhai

anmolhai Platinum IL'ite

Hi Subin
    All appartments have common laundry mostly in basement which you are to use. When we were in appartment we needed quaters(25cent) coins to opperate them I am sure its the same now too.
    If you are coming for 3 yrs then may be furnished appartment is the way to go. Or if your company is willing to ship your goods then get your furnishings and get unfurnished appt. I am nt sure if there are Condos here but usually they have more facalities like pool/gym etc.Town houses are houses with 2-3 levels and attached.
    As fr schools I would say most elementry schools are good . Elementry schools start frm prep sr till 8th grade so I think both ur kids will be in same school.
    Here is the Halton district school website ( Burlingtons comes under Haton district) incase you want to look around.
    Schools

all the best. When r u moving? as the school year starts 6th sept. but I am sure you can get admission later too.

5. subin

subin New IL'ite

Thanks a lot Anmolhai for the reply...sorry for the delay...been busy with some things...

We will be moving only by oct end i guess .as the process for workpermit is still going on..I am not able to get convinced seeing the aprtments here on the website..We are planing to come there and then search for schools and houses as i feel it will be easier for us to decide...

regds

subin

6. Disheartened

Disheartened New IL'ite

Hi Sabin

How did your move go ??

I amin a similar situation to you, except im from the UK & don now anythin about Burlington Oakville or the ppeople. Hubby maybe coming tru wrk. Therefore my biggest concern is schooloing - how did u get on.