1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Moved from CA to TX Schools issue

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by sudhirakumar, Aug 6, 2013.

1. sudhirakumar

sudhirakumar Senior IL'ite

Hi All,

I really need you all's support. I am feeling very depressed in this situation. Could you please give me your advice on what to do in this situation.

I have two kids who went to Kindergarden and Second Grade in California. We had to move to Texas on my husbands job 13 days before the school closes in CA. The schools in TX are closed on 6th of June. By the time we came here they said they cannot enroll my kids in the current year. So we applied for the next year here in TX. Now one of the carter school in TX says that they are not eligible for the next grades. They determined that by the papers sent by CA school. To talk to the CA school they are not open yet for us.

It is very tricky situation and no way until the schools open in CA we can talk with them. Why I am writing all this?

1- Have any one been in this situation?
    2- If my kids are not promoted to next grades and have to repeat the grades how to tell my kids about it.
    3- How should I cope up and gather myself in this situation and be strong.

I am totally lost and feel like crap about the kids education messing up with our jobs.

Thank you

2. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Oh Sudhira
    The situation indeed is tricky.
    I dont know about the policies in US so i wont comment on that. But you as mother should be brave enough in such situations.Our kids learn from us.They absorb whatever they observe.
    Right now all i can say is dont give up just keep trying, i am sure there will be a way out.

3. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Sudhi, I would think that the grading system would be uniform across the country. It came as a surprise when you said your kids need to repeat the past grade. Did they give you any reason? First, I would find that out.
    Next, wait until the school in CA reopens and really talk to them. See if there is any way at all they can push the kid to the next grade.

I am sorry, I havnet been in this situation and I cannot imagine how hard it is to tell them that they have to repeat the grades.

4. Mehana

Mehana Platinum IL'ite

I assume, the school office reopens sometime aug 19, please call them where you kids went to the school in CA..you should able to enroll them once you get proper paper work/info from the old school.

They usually allow to enroll sometime 1 or 2 weeks before school reopen, please try checking with them, they should be kind enough to help.