1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mourning Over Loss Of My Friend

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by blackbeauty84, Mar 13, 2018.

1. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

One of my close friend/colleague expired last week. She was of my age and mother of two beautiful children. I couldn't move over her the news. Whatever I do her memories come into my mind. I'm literally crying sitting at my workplace.
    Not sure what I'm expecting out of this thread here.But wanted to just post this.

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hugs bb84,
    some of us cannot move forward just like that even if they are not close. i have been part of a group even before they moved to fb and the loss of some good volunteers shook me a lot.

what i want to tell you is mourning over a close friend who meant more is ok and slowly cherish all the lovely memories you have.

when death is an uninvited sudden guest ,it shakes the belief of future we work so hard and makes you look at what if and what happens when they are of our age

sorry for your loss and hope you recover and look into possiblity of checking out for her kids on and off..

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  3. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Dear BB,

Sorry for your loss. Death of a young close friend/colleague can be very difficult to get over quickly. Crying is the natural process of grieving. With time, you will move on and the intensity of your grief settles down. As @Shanvy suggested, taking over the role of a responsible friend and adult, you may check on her kids and play an active role in helping them to accept the loss and move on will help you, in turn, to get over your own grief. All the best, dear.

Thyagarajan and Sandycandy like this.
  4. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

I am sorry over your loss.

Your feelings are normal n understandable. It's only been a week, no one expects you to accept n move on already. Additionally, everyone has their own grieving process n time. So don't force yourself to stop from grieving. Cry all you want, it may help you heal.

A death has the power to rattle our mind as it makes you question everything about life. I do remember deaths changing something inside me, both in a good n challenging way..

Challenge: what are we doing? What's the purpose of life ? Mind gets scared about how unpredictable our life can be. Have I really lived ? What will my family do without me ?

Good: it makes me want to be a better person n value what I have, live life, do things n love everyone around me.

It can be an overload of a lot of good, bad n mixed emotions, but it does get better with time, I mean the way we handle the loss. But the loss will be hard to accept no matter what. N even years later, when it hits our memory, it has the power to draw a tear.

Just value the time you have had with your friend n keep her alive in your memories, esp all the good, happy ones. It's our way to honor their life.

5. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Sorry for your loss B.B.! Please take care !

6. blackbeauty84

Thanks for your replies. I'm slowly accepting the fact and coming back to normalcy.We(close friends of her) are checking with the kids and being in touch with the husband.

Sandycandy and Shanvy like this.
  7. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:Madam Sister,
    demise of bosom friends will always cause the emotions that you are experiencing through but with passage of time you would realize that is inherent in Nature. I would suggest reading anecdotes such as
    Behind Every Successful Man ….. Every Sunset Follows A Sunrise.
    would help you to mitigate your loss though not to a great extent.
    Regards.
    God Bless Us all.

8. Rosey2018

Rosey2018 Bronze IL'ite

Hope you’re feeling better and it was kind of you to help her family out. What you were going through is part of the grieving process. Allow your heart to grieve and cry as much as it wants in times like this. Your heart will come to the acceptance stage soon..then you’ll remember the fond memories of her. I know it’s very hard... I’m sorry for your loss.

9. blackbeauty84

Almost two months since her demise and yes I have made peace with the fact that she is no more. Sometimes I do crazy stuff like dialing her number, waiting for her during lunch etc. But majorly moved on. Thanks for the replies

10. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

I was like you when my dad passed away a decade back. Couldn't move from there, and felt my dad was living with us all the time.
    My mind was elsewhere, and the feel was terrible.
    But talking with others about my dad's death and related incidents made me relieve from that pain and mental shock.
    As much as I talk, I got to hear others comments, which brought me back to reality. Slowly I have started to accept the fact that my dad is gone for ever.
    However hard it may sound, I could accept it and moved forward from that terrible experience to resume my life.
    That's the reality.

According to my psychology professor, if you could not move forward from the loss after 1 month, then it is a sign that you are affected my PTSD. Perhaps the early stages... But better you consult a medical professional on this.

The pain and the memories will be everlasting, and no one can replace the lost human being ever. But we still have to move on with life. That is the fact.

BerryPine and messedup like this.