"Mother's Words of Wisdom" - Contest for the Month of May,2008

Discussion in 'Topic of the Month - Contest' started by Kamla, May 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

“God could not be everywhere, and therefore he made mothers.” Jewish proverb

Hello all....It is May, the month which celebrates the most important person in all our lives--Mother:

Many do not approve this custom of picking one day and celebrate it as Mother's Day. True, we should celebrate our mothers everyday. That being so, it is still nice to have a day to commemorate the importance of a Mother. Human psychology is such that everyone will pay a special attention to this embodiment of love, no matter how busy or how hassled he/she may be on a Mother's Day.
    Here in IL, we also dedicate this month's contest to - Mother!

So here I go....
    The theme of the contest being "Mother's Words of Wisdom", I ask you:

"What is the Best Advice that you have ever received from your mother?"

We would like to hear from all of you. Please pour in your contributions telling us about it. Let us know why you consider the particular advice to be the most important for you and how it guided and helped you.

Looking forward to an enthusiastic participation!

Please note---- send in your entries ONLY by email to contest@indusladies.com.
    Kindly include the contest title in the subject of your email and also your IL username in your entry.

Do NOT post your entries in this thread. Thank you.

Best of Luck !
    L, Kamla

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2008

2. Sruthu

Sruthu New IL'ite

hello everyone,
    My mom is no more,but her voice still rings in my ears.I loved and adored her a lot.She used to always tell me that a woman needs to stand on her own feet and never depend on a man financially.I still havent yet achieved what she expected of me but her words of encouragement keep me going and i am sure very soon i will live upto her expectations.

3. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sruthu,

Those are very nice thoughts about your mother.
    Sruthu, this is a contest and we would like to hear more graphically as to how she advised you and how you plan to make use of it in your life and if you already have followed her advice, how it helped you.
    But all this, please write and send your entry to the email given here. We collect all the entries for the month of May and will pronounce the best entry as the winner.
    I am giving the email that you have to write to here below once again for you...Please note and do write more about this and send it in.
    Best of Luck.
    L, Kamla

Please send your entry to---
    contest@indusladies.com

4. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Hey ILites........

Where are you all??

Come on gals, May has started and is rolling by.... May contest was open promptly and is waiting to see eager participants. Apart from a couple of entries, May looks a bit sleepy!!

What's up gals ? Surely, all of you must have received great advise from your moms?? Even if they sounded like a matter of fact comment at the time, your mother's words must have meant something in the long run.

So, in this month of Mother's Day celebrations, gather your thoughts and share them with us.

A lovely present awaits the best entry at the end of the month, remember!

L, Kamla

5. Preethi Patnaik

Preethi Patnaik New IL'ite

Dear Kamala

What a lovely way to celebrate Mother's day by remembering Mum's Advice. Really if only we all would just listen more to our mothers :). I always tell all the young girls i meet that a girls best friend is her Mother.

Thats what my mum would always advice me when i was young. She would say " a girls best friend is her mother" and i really do have the best of friends in my mother. When i was growing up mum would say let me not be the last one to know when something has gone wrong - i would rather be the first. Don't be scared that i would shout or get angry. Just be confident that no matter how bad it is come and let us know (parents) . Its one advice that i have relied on through the years and have never been let down. No matter what good or bad mum has always been there to share in my joys, cry in my sorrows and encouage me from the dumps. I was so happy to have my mum and my husband when i delivered my baby one side i had my mum and the other side my husband and i could not have asked for anything else in such a great moment in my life.
    I have been through many situations and there have been times when my decisions ended in me going thru some very testing times but i have always had the confidence of my parents standing by me even if they did not approve of my choice /decision at the time.

The other real solid gold advice my mum gave me was "look after yourself and never neglect yourself -its only when you are fine will you be able to care for your life/ family" This advice has taken so many diff meanings thru the years but it has always helped not be stuck in any situation helplessly. No matter how bad things get i am always able to take care of myself and do things independently and that confidence is priceless. Which brings me to another priceless gem "If you need to do something do it yourself or learn to do it -never depend on someone else for your success". That is a gem and today i can never say i can;t do something if i want to do it and don't know i just get more info or learn about it and do it. And yes the best of all " being financially independent ". From this its just not holding down a job but being capable of generating an income as and when required. For that you have to have skills and honing those skills is the best gift a mother can give her daughter. Today i can choose to work either full time part time or just when ever i want. I have the ability to make the choice.
    I think it fostered a life long learner in me. Today i look to do the same and be the same role model to my daughter.

We share a love for cooking scrabble games needlework travelling reading gardening and so much more. I love her to bits and yes she is my best best friend. The one i call first with all the good news and the one i call when its not so good too. The shoulder i cry on when i am down and the palm i take to lead me on. What better way to say Thank you to such a lovely person.

Thank you Mum darling you are the best and i love you.

Happy Mothers Day to all the mums and mums to be and everyone who has a maternal instinct and has cared for another.

Best wishes
    Preethi

6. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Preethi,

So glad to see you participate here with your very lovely write up.
    As this is a contest, we want you to send your pieces to the email ad:

contest@indusladies.com

Thanks for participating.

L, Kamla

Last edited: May 10, 2008
  7. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear ILites,

We have been reading various beautiful tributes to Mom this month mostly under the Snippets forum. All of have enjoyed them going by the number of nominations they have and are still receiving for the FP of the Month.

Hey, you fine writers out there.....What's keeping you away from sending entries to this contest of the month??

Well, I am addressing ALL of you ILites........Come on people, do hurry up and send in your entries for this contest. One need not be an accomplished writer to send in their thoughts. It is the thought and the memory of an incident that counts. All of us have a very special place for our mothers in our hearts. No one can take that place! All of us will remember one or many of her advices as a guiding light which helps us in our own life. So do come up with those and share them here.

Only, do not post it here and please send it to the following email:
    contest@indusladies.com

After the winning entry has been selected, you can post it here or we can do that for you if you wish us to.

Thanks for reading this and hope to hear from you all very very soon :)

L, Kamla

Last edited: May 10, 2008
  8. Preethi Patnaik

Preethi Patnaik New IL'ite

Dear Kamla

Thanks a ton for saving it as my entry as thats the only copy. I wrote it in directly. If you could forward it to me by PM then i could resend it as an email.

Reading thru the first post now i see the email - sorry to have missed that ,i just got quite carried away with my thoughts and started penning them in. bonk

best wishes
    preethi

9. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

You are welcome Preethi! No problem.

Such mistakes happen easily and I am a great one for not noticing or observing things around me! So I can more than understand:)

L, Kamla

10. nokia6681

nokia6681 New IL'ite

i too thought of sharing but being newbie can i......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.