1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mother's-in-law Day!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Nivedi,
    Let us guess what will happen the next day!! :hide:

Rant :crazy :spin [​IMG] shakehead

Mr "caught-in-between" cannot have :coffee in peace.
    He will have to
    Witsend
    & will feel drowned in samsara-sagaram!
    Drowning

Love,
    Chithra.

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  2. MrignayniBansal

MrignayniBansal Senior IL'ite

Wow !

It is great to hear that mother's in law day is 10/28/07.I was not knowing that.

I wish to celebrate it.Atleast It is a day when you can win your MIL's heart.

3. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

The mother in law v/s Daughter in law fights in most homes can be the result of mere puppetery. Its because both sides have their preconceived notions about the other.Grossly untrue and a figment of everyone else imagination. Before the real drama unfurls there are words of caution ,deeply etched.Entering the new home is more like entering a ring for a bout of wrestling match....

We spend approx 25 years with our Mother ,and we need to spend the rest of our life maybe the next 40-50 years with MIL. The relation can be smooth sailing provided there is a lot of maturity from both sides to understand that this is not a game of tug of war where each tries to show that the poor guy solely involved in this is on their side. Many a times I have seen that though there are no problems yet to an outsider they try to feign a lot of disparity, maybe because its the so called 'in thing'

I agree that a MIL day would help. Sometimes a small gesture goes a long way in paving a road to a happy home! Mother In laws are those who have spent their lives taking care of the man you love so much and being a mother is one of the most blissful difficulty , so a little show of appreciation , a small gesture will help reinstate her faith in herself, her son and her DIL that all is not lost there is still hope for happiness!!

Love,
    Your Mol

Last edited: May 12, 2008
    sindmani likes this.
  4. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya sir,

A real eye opener post for me.

I was just thinking why we should not celebrte MIL's day.....then my thought went to my MIL whatever said & done, she is really a very nice person who is ruling our household at the age of 75 and that is the reason I can relax and work without any thought of home. As any person, she also has her weakness but try to see them also with eyes and minds full of love......they can also be the best of friends.

5. corallux

corallux Bronze IL'ite

Dear Cheeniyaji,

Tell you the truth, I find them (dragons) very fascinating. Got myself a Dragon Ganeshji in Bangkok...

Oh yes, if a book series called "How to learn ........in 30 days" can be a best seller, I am sure your book on " How to conquer your MIL in 30 days" will become a best seller. I am sure, instead of re cycled steel plates/trays etc, your book will be the No. 1 choice for all marriages...

Overnight you will be a celebrity & a multimillionaire.....

Will you have time to talk to the small fry like me then?

Regards,

Corallux

6. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Corallux,
    Have a doubt about Sr's credibility?
    He will give "The devil(s) its(theirs) due" without fail!!
    Love,
    Chithra.

7. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Nivedi
    A wonderful idea! The more I think about it, the more I love it!
    Besides, there are plenty of benefits too in observing MIL's Day as a day of Silence.
    They are:
    1. Mouna Vrat is good for health
    2. Since eyes will have to take over the mouth's role as a communicator, there will be no profanities uttered!(assuming of course that eyes can not communicate profanities!)
    3.Eyes will become more expressive and flashing
    4.The mind will get some time to plan better strategies for combating the hostilities for the ensuing year
    5. Body language will improve by leaps and bounds
    6. Some wizkid will find a way to use the eyes as an effective weapon to subdue the opponent
    There is, of course, a risk factor that the mouth suddenly rendered jobless for most part of the day might try to occpy itself in some insane eating resulting possibly in a collapse of the digestive system!

The next day can be designated as DIL's Day which will be a day of chaotic din! I have seen the elders becoming needlessly garrulous on the day following the day of Mouna Vrat!
    Sri

8. Cheeniya

Dear Sri
    From what you say, I guess that the following day will be used for settling scores for the atrocities committed on the MIL's Day!
    Sri

9. Cheeniya

Dear Mriganayni
    From what Sriniketan says, you can either win MIL's heart or lose it through an iadequate gift! But seriously, I do agree that celebrating a MIL's Day might warm her heart and bring her closer to you! Just a chance but worth taking!
    Sri

10. Cheeniya

Dear MOL
    My DW got married to me when she was 19 and she is now 60. She has thus spent twice as much time with her MIL as she did with her mum! Both my mum and MIL are alive and have become like own sisters through sheer eflux of time. Even if my MIL has some grouse against her daughter or me, she tells only my mum and no one else! "I have grown accustomed to her face" is a famous song from "My Fair Lady"! Passage of time smoothens out all the wrinkles in relationships.

The MIL-DIL stand-offs are usually the outcome of a feeling of insecurity. This feeling of insecurity will be more in a MIL because of her perceived fear that her dil being much younger and a fresh addtion to her son's life will have greater clout with the son! To overcome this fear, she starts making her presence felt through combative methods than through friendly efforts. The DIL is driven to defend her position in the family through equally strong methods and the tug of war starts! In fact, if this problem is analysed deeply, it can be seen that there is no tangible reason for such hostilities except assumed fears.

Then there are the outside catalysts who provoke both the MIL and the DIL to develop a feeling of animosity towards each other.
    Sri