1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Motherhood - Gowrie In Trimester

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Thyagarajan, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Thanks
    Regards.
    God Bless.

Star25 likes this.
  2. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Beautiful narration. We had around 4 cows and calves in our house for nearly 20 years.
    It is wonderful miraculous scene to see cows giving birth to calves with tears in their eyes.
    Milking of cows is a rare experience.There is lot of work for women at home in connection with maintenance of cow sheds, cleaning of cow dungs, preparation of cow dung cakes mixing cow dung with hay and rice bran.Within minutes of birth the calf will stand and run after the mother.Within three to four years the calf will be ready for yield and mothering.A four year old human kid will be just clinging to the mother.Nature is miraculous.
    When the cow is ready for delivery, many will be eager to get the first milk yield ,as it is highly nutricious,Neighbour mothers with baby-in-arms throng the cow owner's house to get at least 100ml of the first milk(Seem paal in Tamil)

My husband was in Advances Dept of Agricultural banking division of SBI.He has lot of experience in assessing how much milk the cow can yield.The shape and size of the udders matter a lot.Mostly in Salem ,in a shandy, cows and buffaloes are congregated for selling.Since bank advances loans depending on the milk yield, the borrowers would like to show that milk volume is high. Many sellers would give harmone injection to the cows to increse the milk for two days in order to get a higher price. The harmones will have effect for two days only. Bank officers assemble in a big shed along with veterinary doctors , stay there for three full days and nights to ensure that the cattle are not given harmone injection.My husband knows a lot about teeth of cows ,udders and milk yield.

jayasala 42

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. Thyagarajan

:hello:I believe Gowrie had brought you wonderful nostalgia and by way of your feedback to readers too. Thank you very much for education and illumination as to how remained cows were part of one.’s household in and before sixties I.e. pre - aavin days.
    2. When shifted family from Mysore to chennai in 1952, we were housed closed to a cowshed in Triplicane, Chennai then Madras where dozen cows were well maintained by the landlord . Your description of cowshed reminded me our consrant exposure to dung, disc, and hard brooming sounds Plus estruss sounds kept neighbourhoods awake. The landlady would spend almost an hour on Fridays with cows applying turmeric on their forehead and even burn camphor Aarathi with hand metal bell tolling etc.
    3. It was always cows milk coffee for us.
    4. Madam Sister is a walking university: many subjects are just at her fingertips as do parallel fables from her life replete with solid experience. YourFBs on threads invariably comes with interesting not only episodes but morals and education for the young who have just stepped into family life.
    I consider to be fortunate on landing on this site by accident and productive association with like minded contemporaries.
    Thanks
    Regards.
    God grant us the Godspeed in our earnest endeavour.

4. Rajeni

Rajeni Moderator Platinum IL'ite

Loved it @Thyagarajan sir! Gowri had made me nostalgic too!
    My maternal grantparent's house had large a cowshed too and I have heard from my Mom that we used to always have six or more.All I remember as I grew up, was seeing two in the shed, one rusty brown one and a black and white one. As time went by, I remember we having only the black and white one, not sure what happened to the rusty. But this black and white one was the one I would go near, of course only occasionally, given my fear for animals (now I wonder why was I even scared of those beautiful creatures, I wish I wasn't) but there was an exception, it was our last cow's daughter!

She delivered 'Azhagi' (that's how I named her) when I was at our Granny's for summer vacations. I still remember how the entire household including the servants were restless with anticipation and excitement. After dusk, I was sent in and all the elders were in the cowshed. I could hear the to-be-mother’s pain-striken ‘Maa’s and suddenly there was a tension. There was some complications in her delivery which I don’t remember what it was now. After a few hours of continued tension, she was born! Then, I was called to see her. There she was - mostly black with some white in her neck and from her nose to forehead. She laid on the straw bed, looking so small and fragile, with huge black eyes! I remember asking my Mom whether it’s a he or she. Then confirming her gender, I called her ‘Azhagi’. Then, I learnt that she was hurt during the delivery and that’s why she didn’t move. For the next three days, no one had proper food and someone or the other hovered near the cowshed worried about the little one.

On the third day, when all of us were sitting at the backyard of the house, there was a movement and azhagi was standing near the well, which was midway between the house and the cowshed. It was truly a moment! Tears in my granny’s and my Mom’s eyes and me jumping in joy. I still remember Azhagi running around the well and the entire backyard, me running around trying to catch her and Azhagi’s Mom’s ecstatic cries!

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. Thyagarajan

:hello:I am glad that you could enjoy the narration and delighted with your nostalgia. You were transported to your teens and remained with AZHAGI the divine calf.
    Another delightful feedback in this thread from madam sister @jayasala42 which I trust you might have enjoyed reading.
    Thanks
    Regards.
    God grant Godspeed in our earnest endeavour.