1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Motherhood - Gowrie In Trimester

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Thyagarajan, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello: Motherhood - Gowrie in trimester :hello:

It was always in the early morning. Gowrie as usual entered with her children and friends into the narrow street to amble near the greener pastures. Her kids were often rubbing their cheeks on Gowrie’s tummy. It was tad huge for her stature, size and age.

She was offered food invariably previous nights’ left over. Some offered her plenty of puddings, curd rice packed in banana leaves or on paper dish and water to drink.

It must have been heaven sent feast to them; and they all converged in the open ground under an umbrageous neem tree adjacent that was south of my house. I used to watch them from my open balcony. They seem to enjoy music that I play from my balcony. Gowrie, in particular seem to dwell in the rhythmic music that was wafting through the thin air; the way Gowrie was nodding her head vertically, was probably an indication that baby in her womb and she together were feeling transported to a different world.

They seemed to have seventh sense. They felt some disturbing thing approaching them. Something was disturbing the sylvan surrounding and the serene morning. Gowrie and her friends all stood together sharpened their ears and had some sort of communication. They all decided to run away.

A set of ferocious-looking stray dogs were approaching them with a light bark. After seeing Gowrie and her party running away from them, stray dogs started chasing them barking. In a second or two, Gowrie and her party were astray.

Gowrie was left out with her youngest. They managed to enter into a building complex in the opposite side of my hovel. As fear was gripping them, they both ran round the building in the complex. They entered into the narrow passage between the compound wall and the building. Up to some point in the narrow passage they could move and beyond that point there was an obstacle preventing their forward movement. In the narrow passage, mother Gowrie and her kid were one behind the other cowering, shivering, and quivering. The dogs were still behind them barking.

Dogs left after a while. But for some strange reason, Gowrie and her kid caught in the narrow passage could neither turn around nor move backwards. I was wondering, whether it could be due to shock.

From the road side, some were trying many tricks to make them move backwards. Some were shouting commands to them, showing bamboo stick to their face. Several men and women tried cajoling, guiding and goading. A few and I, tried with ropes but all efforts failed.

Several hours passed. Gowrie and her kid did not care to touch the food, fruits and water that were offered to them from time to time. But nothing worked to move them away from their predicament. It was nearing noon; almost six hours passed since Gowrie and her kid were standing trapped.

My wife with son was just returning from visit to a distant temple. As they entered our home, they were agog to know what was happening in front of our house. After listening to my narration of the plight of Gowrie and her kid, my son said “Dad - I have seen Lakshmi amma in the next street, sometimes feed this Gowrie. Please call her. She would help them to come out from here.

I sent for Lakshmi. She came with a bowl of rice mixed with buttermilk. From the rear of Gowrie, she called loudly in a coaxing tone with a slur on ‘r’- “hellos Gowrie - Gowrie kannu, come-come - your food is ready.”

No sooner, Gowrie and her junior heard the familiar voice of Lakshmi, with brimming confidence and glint in their wide eyes, slowly and steadily walked back and forth and soon in reverse; Gowrie carefully extricated herself from the narrow passage, and then took a u turn, began lapping the buttermilk soaked cooked rice from the large bowel.

Next day at just after sunrise, I heard repeated sounds of “amma”. I went upstairs, switched on the music system and played a song composed by Saint Thyagaraja in raga “dhanyasi” – that used to convey delectable joy, happiness/ecstasy.

As I opened the door of the south facing balcony, my wife with fresh brewed coffee in one hand and our son alongside came along. The soothing music was wafting along. We three went to open balcony. We were thrilled with wonderful view.

There, in the open ground under the long shadow of huge neem tree, Gowrie with her new ‘edition’ warming up in the morning sun rays; she had delivered a robust looking snow-white calf. Lifting her head slowly upwards, Gowrie looked at us. Glint in her eyes seemed voicing thanks to my son.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    kaniths, Star25, HazelPup and 6 others like this.

2. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

What a heartwarming incident narrated so beautifully in your typical style! I think animals also enjoy music and they do understand human emotions.:thumbup:

Star25, sindmani and Thyagarajan like this.
  3. Thyagarajan

:hello:U remain most of the times to visit my thread first and come out so soon with aesthetic view points.
    2. AS soon as I seen off my better half with daughter left to attend sathsangh, a row of cows seen ambling toward open plot adjacent to my home.
    3. Being left alone at home , I remembered this incident and attempted to write and
    post it.
    4. I am glad you could come out with befitting synopsis of the anecdote.
    Thanks and Regards.
    God grant us Godspeed in our earnest endeavour.

satchitananda and GeetaKashyap like this.
  4. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Beautiful narrative, sir. I had already guessed it was a cow. Our local cows are so beautiful and every time I see their eyes, I can see the meaning of the word 'lakshanam' used by our elders.

sindmani and Thyagarajan like this.
  5. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Tyagarajan sir,
    You have a unique way of creating a scene....you take us with you to the spot.
    Great presentation!
    Syamala

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. Thyagarajan

:hello:thank you madam sister. Trust u r on your way...to ---many.
    regards.

satchitananda likes this.
  7. Thyagarajan

:hello:Then I think I have achieved the purpose. Thank You and Regards.
    God bless us all always.

8. Star25

Star25 Gold IL'ite

Awesome narration sir, was so interesting to read..enjoyed reading your post :thumbup:

Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear @Thyagarajan sir,

Enjoyed the narration very much. It was quite gripping and animals I tell you! There are may videos floating around where animals respond to music and just last week I read a folktale I think from China about how cows responded to music emerging from a lake and when the music died how they went back into the lake, giving rise to what we know as waterlilies!

10. Thyagarajan

Sister @Srama
    :hello:Glad that you could attune to the central idea of the thread.
    2. One would like to see probably in Japan Dolphins dance to tunes indefatigably.
    3. Classical RaGAM PUNNAGAVARALI DRAWS OUT snakes from their hideouts.
    4. When Lord Krishna played music all animals including cows crowd around him and stood standstill.
    Thanks for prodding sweet memories.
    Regards
    God Bless Us All Always.