1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mother Tongue vs English

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by radsahana, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Ranise

Ranise Junior IL'ite

Nice topic ! I have a friend who has a 4 year old son, these people were in the US till the kid was 3 years old and they always talk to him in English. One occasion when they came to my house, my mom ( who likes kids a lot and doesn't know English ) was trying to converse with this kid and he couldn't connect with her. I wonder how he manages with his own grand parents who are uneducated and are from a remote village. I feel sad when I see such kids, they will get several opportunities to learn English but mother tongue has to start at home.. some parents never realize this.

My DD is 3 years old and can converse very well in Telugu... infact thats the only language she knows now. She is going to nursery and has difficulty with English, but I am sure soon she will be fine.

Regards
    Rani

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  2. radsahana

radsahana Silver IL'ite

hiish333

yeah you are right, parent themselves dont take trouble to talk in mother tongue, and then they fashionably say, my kids cant speak mother tongue.

thanks for the fb :)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  3. radsahana

radsahana Silver IL'ite

Dear Jpatma,

Thanks for the encouraging feedback. Truly said, even i feel, mother tongue can be taught only at home and nowhere else.

Other languages we picks up as we grow

4. radsahana

radsahana Silver IL'ite

Dear natpudan

I liked your kids name very much, "Yazhini" and Yezhil. I sometime try to tell my daughter to pronunce zha, sometimes she say correct sometime, not, hope she will pick up soon.

Only we parents can do that, instill in children our roots, importance of mother tongue.

thanks for the fb.

5. radsahana

radsahana Silver IL'ite

hi narra

thanks for the fb. dont bother about grammar, you wrote from heart, that is more important.

Same thing happend with my sils kid, younger one dont speak much tamil. But i think, you can still keep conversing with her in Telugu, let her reply in english, doesnt mind. That way she will not forget it entirely.

yes in india itself the situation is bad, since schools dont provide choice of mother tongue as second language. Atleast kids learn to speak fluent in mother tongue, to some extent that is better. :)

6. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Radhika,
    Nice to know that your kids speak Tamizh..and you had given them a strong foundation.
    Even in our house, my DH made it clear that they should learn Tamil and Sanskrit during the weekends.
    Due to this, they now know how to speak, read and sometimes write (you know there is always confusion in some letters), eventhough they got up with English after pre-school.

sriniketan

7. radsahana

radsahana Silver IL'ite

Dear Akilamani

Hats of to your parents, who made sure you learnt mother tongue.

Hats of to you also, since you are also so keen to teach your daughter tamil, not only speaking but also writing:thumbsup

even i cant undstd the thirukural without help.

yeah i am also proud to be tamizhhachi.

8. radsahana

radsahana Silver IL'ite

hey ranise.

i am really proud that your 3 yr old only know telugu.

Even my 3 yr old son knew only Tamil and to some extent marathi (since we were stayin in pune)

Believe me after going to playschool for 1 month here, he picked up english.

me and my dh never v bothered to teach him english even now. Kids learnt fast when they go out.

but keep speaking in telugu with her at home, no english at home.:thumbsup