1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mother is the first teacher of a child

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by arthimahalakshm, Jun 11, 2013.

1. arthimahalakshm

arthimahalakshm Gold IL'ite

when i was a student there used to be moral science class weekly once.during this period usually class teacher try to inculcate good moral values in the students through stories from epics or panchtantra.
    apart from our teachers at home these moral values are taught by grand parents and mothers. but today's educational system cannot provide a 45 min duration in the school time table for value education. moreover grannies are busy in tv serials where as mummy's are busy in sharing workload of fathers.so finally the losers are children and they try to lead the life in which way they observe the life.
    i always grab the chances to take up a moral science class to my kids,as the teacher in me is always ready to start her teachings(preachings).so here i would like to share a conversation between me and my kids.

i have two ordinary shoe stands of cost 200/=each which were kept unused in this new place.so one day i thought to give them to my maid as they might be useful for her.while i was cleaning them my kids asked what i was going to do with those stands.i replied as we were not using them would give it to maid.but my kids wanted the stands and i told them to show me how they had arranged things on those.after sometime they called me and i found the stands transformed in to their story books rack imitating the set up which is found in the library.

thereafter these stands become center of attraction in their room and even my younger dd went on to bring her friends to proudly show that.now the teacher in me woke up and started her value education class.the conversation goes as follows.

me:you people seem to be happy about your new addition in your room.
    DD2:yes mamma.we love this set up and looks like our study room has become a library.
    me:till yesterday it was a shoe stand.even you washed your hands after touching it.
    dd2:yeah.becos it was ugly.now it is a book rack.
    me:anyways they were racks only no?
    dd2:but now we have arranged books on it no? so it is beautiful.
    me:so you think that it has some value or importance now?
    dd2:yes.yes.it carries books now.
    me:becoz of the books only you like the stands.when it was a shoe stand you didnot give importance to it.now you find this as a valuable one.so what do you understand from this?
    dd2::hide:
    dd1:stands get importance by the things which are kept on them.like that we get importance by our character.
    me:very good.at the same time you have to learn one more thing also.when you kept pairs of shoe the stands did their job.now also they serve the same purpose.so rain or shine we have to maintain our character.becos we are known by the qualities which we possess.
    dd2:mamma you are really a teacher.i will tell this to my friends also that we shouldnot over pose anything becoz we are known by our character.
    that night i slept nicely with a satisfaction that i was able to teach a moral value.

dear ladies,
    please don't come to a conclusion that i am over projecting myself here.........but i would like to share a small incident which can prove the statement 'MOTHER IS THE FIRST TEACHER OF A CHILD'.becoz our duty does not end at feeding them or giving them a superb future.
    our religion also gives the top most place to us over father ,guru and GOD.is it not our duty to teach moral values to our children as v.ed class has not found a place in schools?
    SO IF WE NOT WHO ELSE THEN? :thumbsup

5 people like this.

2. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

hi Radha,
    you seem to being doing your job as mother & teacher very nicely...........each one of us has opportunity to teach valuable lessons to our kids & in a way in which they can understand & relate.well done...............

i smiled at your sentence where you said that Grandmothers are busy watching TV.

last time I went to India with my 2 kids aged 5 & 8 yrs ,my hubby proudly told them that his mother knows lots of punjabi folk songs & stories & she is going to tell them those to keep them busy & entertained.all the week we stayed there MIL spent time watching CID on Sony or something else & even encouraged the kids to watch with her.
    on last day my elder son wisphered loudly in my ear'mamma.we are going back tomorrow when is Dadi going to tell us stories & songs?"

when others asked me I told them what he was expecting & what he is whispering.MIL really felt bad & promised to tell him next time we visit which is after a year or so.

still elder people are no more custodians of tradition & teaching values to kids & its upto parents to try & inculcate good values in kids..........

1 person likes this.
  3. arthimahalakshm

thank you for sharing your views and agreeing with me by saying

4. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Arthi great thread :thumbsup:
    You are right when you said "mothers the first teacher".....and homes the first school
    Parents are the builder of children’s characters and minds.
    The home is a powerful center of learning for children. This is because the strong emotional bonds children have with family members strengthens the impact of experiences in the home. Also the family can be spontaneous and individualize experiences that focus a child's interest. For example, a child who is spoken to and read to has a good chance of developing strong language skills because so many neural connections have been laid in the part of the brain where language is handled.
    I have always wanted to be as good as my mom...though i dont think i have her kind of patience.And when i see my son getting impatient i know where exactly its coming from :)

1 person likes this.
  5. arthimahalakshm

thank you for your feedback.even me too having the feelings that i am not any match to my mom.but i try to inculcate those things which i learnt from her.

1 person likes this.