1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mother In Law Wants To Come To Us To Babysit!

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by EagerForInfo, Mar 6, 2021.

1. EagerForInfo

EagerForInfo Gold IL'ite

Hello,

I have been married for 10 years .. when I was married 4 years she came to the US to "help me" when I was workign.. she started selling curries and babysitting occasionally..

Now due to covid my neighbhors are asking for help with babysitting their kids. Hearing that my husband wants to bring my mother in law who is very dominating with regards to me to earn money babysitting the 10 kids in my street.! Mind it they are friends kids who love to play with my kids!

How to solve this plight! Please help!

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Is your MIL licensed to watch kids in the US? Is she able to legally work in the US? If not you are setting yourself up for a world of liability.

3. Flyhigher

Flyhigher Gold IL'ite

I totally agree with @MalStrom .Most of the states need licensing, certifications, first aid certifications, background checks and other things if you’re are providing childcare for more than one or two or the kid is not from your family. So check your state’s law on child care regulations.

You may be babysitting just your friends/neighbours kids, suppose one of the parents you babysit claim your babysitting services as a child expense on their taxes then there are high chances of you getting into trouble with authorities.

If you are in a rented property then the owner has the authority to evict you for running a business without his/her consent. Also if it’s your own property most HOA/COA does allow to run any business within their community, HOA’s consider this as illegal and they can notify the authorities.

Let’s say hypothetically even if you do everything legally, things seems ok in the beginning but slowly it feels too much of 10 kids responsibility for one person, also slowly one or the other issues starts to come up from parents.

Thyagarajan and satchitananda like this.
  4. Roar

Roar Gold IL'ite

Your husband wants to bring someone ( albeit mother she is no exception to law)in on a tourist visa to a foreign country and then let her go ahead on baby sitting kids just like that without any qualifications.

Its a joke ...until its not. Unbelivable really how people strech their luck for money.

5. EagerForInfo

EagerForInfo Gold IL'ite

I forgot to add my husband is planning on getting her a green card.. since he is a green card holder (which he got through me (green card via marriage !).. what a lucky lady!..:(

6. Flyhigher

Flyhigher Gold IL'ite

Even if he wants to bring her in green card, till she gets her green card she will be in visitor visa. You cannot earn on visitor visa.

Suppose if your mil have green card but without the proper license,certifications , and other safety and security measures you cannot run baby sitting for non family members/not more than 1-2 kids. It all takes just one of your neighbour or minor issues with kids health or your homeowners association or a angry parent to complain to authorities. You will have to pay hefty fines for not only just not having license also for not following safety measures proper safety equipments in case of emergency and you have to go through other legal issues.
    This country is very strict when it comes to child issues.

New Haven baby sitter to serve 14 years in toddler's death

I am not discouraging you. All I am trying to say is if you want to do it do in a proper legal way.

7. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

Ideas to send MIL to the pokey for 14 yrs is discouraging ? :roflmao::roflmao:

Thyagarajan, Ruby2019 and chanchitra like this.
  8. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

Are you a citizen. Green card holders to the best of my knowledge cannot sponsor.

I am guessing your are from india, getting green cards in family visa, does not work as sooner as you are imagining .

taking care of 10 kids, lol. :BangHead: . not going to say anytihng

i guess you are got the responses from others ILs here.

Flyhigher likes this.
  9. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Yeah, somethings not adding up here. Green card holders cannot sponsor their parents for green card. Only US citizens can. Strange story.

Thyagarajan, Angela123 and Flyhigher like this.
  10. EagerForInfo

EagerForInfo Gold IL'ite