1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Morning Prayer II

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by RamyaVaradharajan, Aug 15, 2008.

1. RamyaVaradharajan

RamyaVaradharajan Bronze IL'ite

"Samudhra Vasane Devi" :bowdown

This prayer should be recited after Karaagre Vasathe. As soon as we place our feet on the floor we should dedicate this prayer to “Bhooma Devi”. We step on her, we run, play, walk, do all our activities only because of the fact that she is holding the earth beneath tight. Can she take rest like we do? Can she ease herself just for a second if pain irks her? It’s a plain NO. Hence we consider her duty the prime most and respect and thank her early in the morning for all our activities that follow.

Samudhra Vasane Devi
    Parvadha sthana Mandale
    Vishnu Pathni Namasthubyam
    Paadha sparsa Kshamaaswame

Meaning:

Samudhra: denoting the sea (Samudhirathai)
    Vasane: worn like a garment
    Devi: Boo Devi (Bhooma Devi)
    Parvadha: mountains
    Sthana: maarbu
    Mandale: kondaval (to keep)
    Nama: Namasthe
    Thubyam: to you (thangalukku)
    Paadha: foot
    Sparsa: to touch
    Kshmaaswame: mannippaai (please excuse)

Significance:

We should consider Bhooma Devi as our own mother. The uniqueness that they bear is that of the supreme most quality called “patience”. Will we disrespect our own mother by running over her or by spitting on her? We should always respect her for what she is. We should admire and revere her for her patience like our own mother.

We should be like the ants which are ever active and do everything in groups. Ants are always known for their activeness especially when it comes to picking up a grain for their daily survival. Likewise we have to be ever-active in order to lead a contented and happy life. To develop patience, we need to keep a drop of water on the floor, rotate with fingers on the ground (as we mix for sanndhanam), think Bhooma Devi for a second and keep the water droplet on your forehead. As we do this regularly, our emotional imbalances can be brought under control. It works if done with confidence and spirit. The same can be taught to kids and they really like to follow the same. But be cautious that they do not spill water all over the place. Big LaughBig Laugh(believe me, kids did that in my Balavikas class)

Regards with Love
    RamyaVaradharajan

2. deeyash

deeyash New IL'ite

Hi Ramya

Thanks for sharing such a thoughtful story. Will definitely make a habit of telling this prayer in the morning

Regards
    Deeyash

3. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Ramya,
    This prayer, my children and myself recite everyday...but the drop of water information is new...I am going to do that and make my children do the same..because it is the need of the hour, what say!

sriniketan
    sriniketan

4. sshantha

sshantha New IL'ite

Dear Ramya,

Even though we all know these Prayers, It is nice to know the related story to it. Could you pls post some more of these, as it will be helpful for me to teach children these short slokas.

Thanks
    SShantha

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Ramya dear,

Just was thinking about stories related to slokas, as you know sri will not learn any sloka without knowing the meaning and the story behind. so have been reading on them. nice to know of your interest and hope balwikas is going fine.

6. Arti Goudar

Arti Goudar New IL'ite

Hi Ramya

Thank you so much for such a nice information. I want to teach my 3.5 year old son...all this........................thanks a lot....

Regards
    Arti

7. Sudha Kailas

Sudha Kailas IL Hall of Fame

Hi Ramya,

Thanks for sharing the beautiful shlokam.

Cheers,
    Sudha