1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

More religious places than toilets in india..!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by asirthomas, Oct 9, 2012.

1. asirthomas

asirthomas New IL'ite

[JUSTIFY]Hon’ble Union Cabinet Minister for Rural Development, Mr. Jairam Ramesh is reported to be in soup. He created a storm by making a controversial comment playing with religious sentiments of the people. Let us know what he has commented first!

He commented,” India has more temples than toilets. And toilets should be maintained holier than temples.” In fact Jairam Ramesh has commented this while he was launching from Sewagram in Wardha district of Maharashtra the maiden, Nirmal Bharat Yatra (The Great Wash Yatra) to address sanitation crisis in India.

The Nirmal Bharat Yatra is a mega campaign on sanitation and hygiene in India. It is an initiative supported by the Government of India’s Nirmal Bharat Abhiyan (NBA) and Eawag, a Swiss research agency. The Yatra will visit various rural locations in India and will travel to five states where sanitation is vital. It will pass through six towns––Indore, Kota, Gwalior, Gorakhpur, Bettiah and villages on its way, and aim to reach around 90 million people.

The minister launched this Nirmal Yatra from the same town from where Mahatma Gandhi launched “Quit India Movement”. Emphasizing on the importance of toilets, Ramesh said that it is no less essential than temple. He stated further that he thinks that building a toilet is more pious (pavitra) a work than making a temple. The minister is reported to have expressed his concerns over Open Defecation during religious yatras

As a common man my question is, “ Why this religious Kolaveri da de doi.?” What the minister has said is ABSOLUTELY CORRECT. Why do the people think that he raped the religious sentiments of the people.

The minister has just expressed his concerns over SANITATION CRISIS like Open Defecation and worst maintenance of toilets. I do not feel that the minister has played down with emotions of any particular religion.

Ramesh is reported to have equated the Nirmal Bharat Yatra to make India ‘Open Defecation Free’ with ‘India’s Freedom Struggle.’..Ha ha ha

I appreciate the minister a lot for his daring to equate weirdly. If he had used RELIGIOUS PLACE instead of Temple, he would have not been in soup now. But no one can deny the hard reality, which he has pointed out. Let it be temple, Church or Mosque.. The sanitation crisis is same in all the places.. His usage of word 'Temple' must have irked majority.

Only the narrow minded and the absurd fundamentalists will make hue and cry. The minister needs to be applauded for voicing against open defecation, though his governing party at centre deserves to be damned for the revelations of new scams routinely.

India is of different people practicing different religions. There are umpteen religious places like temples, churches, Mosques, Gurdwara and Jain temples. But authorities controlling over these religious sites are not giving more importance to public sanitation than in collecting offerings from the devotees.

Let me share with you few events in my personal life. In recent past, I paid visit to St Antony’s Church at my native village, which has no toilet. The devotees, who come for seeking the blessings of the saint, are being resorted to defecate openly. The next day of the festival, one can find the Church being decorated around with human faeces. Neither the saint of the church nor the authorities of the Church take any innovative device so far for controlling devotees' indecent and impious attendance of natural call in public.

In an other incident, I attended a religious ritual, balding of an infant, born to US based daughter of my eldest brother. Though Catholics are Christians by import, it's common to them following all Hindu rituals, which show Religious Amalgamation. Hygiene and Sanitation of the holy shrine at Besant Nagar Velankanni Church, Chennai, where the infants and adults are being bald headed are the worst. For balding the head, a certain amount is collected by the Church authorities, which hardly been used for the welfare of the public.

When I went to Annai Velankanni Church in Tanjure district of Tamilnadu, a couple of years ago with my relatives, at height of devotion, I felt of attending an emergent natural call. There is a familiar proverb in my mother tongue. ஆத்திரத்தை அடக்கினாலும் மூத்திரத்தை அடக்க முடியாது ( One can control anger but not Peeing ) I had to give preference to SOS of my Urinary tank than Thinking and Devotion tanks.

I asked for the address of the public toilet to a knelt down devotee next to me. He scorned as if he were wolf and I were sheep. I came out of the Church and running across from one corner to the other only for peeing purpose. I wondered neither the Goddess nor the Church authorities came to my rescue. Ran across here and there in search of a toilet. Seeing my plight, a sweeper pointed me a distant building for doubling up. By god’s grace, the pants were not wet. If this is the case of Masculine in India, what about the fate of Feminine, who are restricted for the fear of social stigma? I hope that every Indian is aware of freedom of peeing in public by males here as dog peeing on poles. I do not understand why our Indian females are not enjoying this freedom.. Ha ha ha

In a next incident, on pilgrimage tour to Rameshwaram,I was relishing the art on stones in the famous temple for about an hour. The raw nudity of the statues was feast to my eyes. Testosterone which rushed in my body made me to forget about filling of my urinary bladder, which is a compulsive consequence of biological process. Came out of temple premise and ran for toilet. On being found no toilet, I went to a nearby restaurant and ordered a cup of coffee in the pretext for using toilet.

Frankly speaking, we need to ponder over the statement of the Minister and appreciate him for his concerns on Sanitation crisis, instead of waging war against him politically. I strongly feel a heathy society will always welcome such issue instead of mud slinging.

Let INTELLIGENCE triumph RELIGIOUS fundamentalism.

COPYRIGHT: ASIRTHOMAS[/JUSTIFY]

2. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

I am sorry, but I have a different opinion friend. While I appreciate the point you are making [yards better that that Jairam Ramesh whom I find as a cheap politician who uses the ruckus he creates by his poor choice of words to his own advantage], I can't but agree to the comparison at all. Don't we have a better vocabulary and a sense of mind to communicate our points across? And I don't even go to the extreme of relegious fanaticism. Once you start this kind of an argument, you will spend more time in explaining what you meant rather that whats important. Fine. Those are just my views. -rgs

3. vis2885

vis2885 New IL'ite

4. asirthomas

asirthomas New IL'ite

My dear RG Srinivasan,

Thanks for being on my blog space and leaving the comment. It's your right to differ with. I also concur with you in condemning the the Minister, whose folly created such storm in religious sectors. Comparing temple with toilet is his folly, but his statement on shortage of loos and sanitation crisis the bitter truth to accept..

I have due respect with your views.. :thumbsup

5. asirthomas

asirthomas New IL'ite

Vis,

Oh My God (OMG ) is the Title of new Hindi picture too... ha ha ha

Thanks for being here.

regards

asir

6. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Hi Asir, Thanks for accepting my point of view too in the right spirit. Happy to agree to disagree. -rgs

7. rnair

rnair Silver IL'ite

If the minister would have put his words wisely and diplomatically , who knows the govt would have already started working on the sanitation crisis ..
    as always , we are unlucky and everything ends up in a media melodrama.