1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

More on Rockstar- the album which is just beyond mere rock!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Sofea, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Sofea

Sofea IL Hall of Fame

[JUSTIFY]

I have been hooked to the album like a lizard is to a wall. The music is so good, the songs are magnificent and there’s just too many genres to listen to….there’s classic rock, hard rock, sufi, Punjabi folk number, Czech folk number with some salsa thrown in (gasp!), a tango instrumental, haunting melody and even a short poetry rendered by the amazingly adorable Ranbir Kapoor! Oh, did I tell you that I have a huge crush on him? More so when I got to know that he’s older than I am and still…wait for it…single?? Hehe, so much for small hopes.

Ok, back to the album. I must admit that I’m unable to choose which one of the tracks that I like most. I love Nadaan Parindey- With Sivamani’s prelude drum beats, the combination of A.R.Rahman’s and Mohit Chauhan’s super cool voices and the amazing guitar sounds by both Keba Jeremiah and Sanjeev Thomas, this track is to die for! I love the second part of the song where Mohit goes:-

Daagar kaagar mori itni araj tose chun chun khaiyo maans (2x)
    Arajyare khaiyo na tu naina more, khaiyo na tu naina mohe piya ke milan ki aas..
    khaiyo na tu naina more, khaiyo na tu naina mohe piya ke milan ki aas..

Translations:
    O crow, I have a request for you, you can eat my flesh away,
    but do not eat my eyes as I wish to see my lover..

How romantic and sad, isn’t it? Okay, before you think that I’m an expert in Hindi (which I’m not) let me confess that like many Tamilians, my Hindi is just on the level of “ek gaaon me ek kissan rehtha thaa”:mrgreen:. But I’m good at googling, so getting the translations are a small feat to me (patting myself on the back!)

A little trivia about the lines above (also got it from googling...I told you I was good, na?):

The original lines of the above were from a poem by Sufi Saint Hazrat Baba Farid Ganj Shakar with a rough translation "My path is not easy. Just one request to you:- You can eat my body's meat by picking and picking but don't eat my eyes as I have desire to see my beloved"
    He wrote this poem when he was in the jungle for several years, resulting in his body becoming weak and pale. In time, birds started to surround him to eat his flesh. In this poem he is requesting the birds to eat his whole body but to spare his eyes as he wants to see his beloved (God).

So touching right? And the poem is incorporated here in the song to reflect the protagonist’s desire to see his beloved for the last time. Only the beloved here is not God but is referring to his lover. Oh how I adore love stories! (sigh)</SPAN>

And yes, I also love Haawa Haawa. Yipee! What a fun song. I wish I can dance to Mohit’s crazy, cute voice and go “pa pa pa paon paon paon paon”! :party

Sheher Mein is jolly! Karthik sounding like Abhijeet and Mohit sounding like well, he’s Mohit alright! I love him!

Tango for Taj is spellbinding! No credits given for this number thus, it must be ARR’s own work!

Kathiya Karoon is cheeky and cute and Tum Ho is just so touching and lovely.

And did I forget about Sadda Haq?? Yes I did! My bad! :bonkThat is THE song to beat this time around. And the last time I checked, there’s just no competition! Sadda Haq! Aaithe Rakh! Wow just WOW!

I can go on and on about the songs. So much for my promise to stop listening after the first time around. This one is just so irresistible! And addictive!

Mohit Chauhan is the voice of the year, I say! So nonchalant, cheeky, crazy, cute, loving, haunting, rebellious…man where was the guy all these while? I liked him in Masakali but I just fell in love with him here. Of course, it’s not hard to imagine the current heart-throb Ranbir Kapoor crooning to this sexy voice. From the trailers, Ranbir just looks smoking hot! Okay, I’m blushing now! He’s still single right? Can I have a ticket straight to Mumbai please? Like NOW??

And A.R.Rahman?? You’re great man! What a phenomenal album. You did it again! Yeah Sadda Haq Aaithe Rakh! It’s my rightful cd and I want to listen it again now! Okay, whom am I kidding? Listening has to wait a little longer. I’m still in my office, pretending to work when I’m actually writing the blog…discreetly but excitedly. Arggh…why is the clock moving so slow today? I can’t wait to go back to my car and blast the stereo again with Rockstar! Hmm…so what are you waiting for people?? Get your copy of cd and lets go Haawa Haawa and Tinga linga linga Katiya Karun with me! :banana

[/JUSTIFY]

2. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Sofea, you are sooooo funny and witty :)

loved ur write up.... it seems like a must hear... of course i will get a copy :)

Akila

3. Sofea

Sofea IL Hall of Fame

Hey Akila,

Thanks for reading my blog!:) I actually love this album. Thought it would be all rock but ARR surprised me again. The songs do take some time to sink into you but once it's there, you will never want to hear to anything but rockstar again!

Hope you like it too. Just a small word:- try watching the trailers on youtube first and see if you like them. In that way, at least you wont blame me for making you purchase the cd that you didn't like. hehe

4. ILoveTulips

ILoveTulips IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sofea,

Very nice to know about your music interest and glad that you enjoyed your latest purchase.. :)

Other than ARR, I don't know anybody you mentioned here. I don't understand Hindi so don't listen to any Hindi songs. The hindi words won't register in my mind too. You see I have tried to memorised DDLJ full form so many times but still it comes as "Dillaaliye Dillaaliye Le Jaaliye.".. :(

The album must be really good, I could see that in your words and your excitement.. :) I haven't listened to pop songs.. I don't know why but I am sticking with tamil songs alone. Thats bad right, all are music, as long as I enjoy the tunes I shouldn't complain about the lyrics. For the past couple of weeks I keep hearing in radio "What makes you beautiful" from One Direction. Now I started humming it (in my thick tamil accent of course) and "ah-ah-ah-eyes" is a nice catch... :) Should start listen to some songs.. and see whether they make me as happy as it made you...

Now that your work started cool down, you should write more often before it peaks up again... :)

ilt

5. Sofea

Sofea IL Hall of Fame

Hi Ilt,

Thanks for your comments :)

And btw, my hindi like I said, is just on the "ek gaoen mein ek kissan" level. But I used to be exposed (though not actually a fan)to hindi music from my young age since both my parents love 60's/70's hindi albums a lot.

Nevertheless, it was only after ARR started composing for Hindi films, that I began to really take a liking towards hindi songs. His Rangeela was officially the first hindi cassette that I bought and since then, I never miss any his albums. Other composers started coming into the picture as well and that's how I got accustomed to SEL, Vishal Sekhar, Shantanu Moitra, Amit Trivedi and others. Nevertheless, I still don't quite like their music as much as I like ARR's.

And don't worry about "Dillaaliye Dillaaliye Le Jaaliye". I used to have that problem too until I found that hindi people love to use acronyms for long titles. So Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge is DDLJ, Hum Aapke Hain Koun is HAHK and Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi is RNBDJ. (God bless those who found this method:bowdown)

And Ilt, I love One direction too. :thumbsup I actually liked them even in the X Factor show and predicted that the boys will make it big. But still, never expected them to strike it this big. I also love humming "What makes you beautiful" as well as "Na na na" a lot. They are extremely catchy and addictive!

I do think about writing a lot as I'm a little less burdened with my current work loads but as always, I have a starting problem. I think about a topic, try to write few lines of it and all of a sudden I start losing interest in it. :hide:Ithu than writer's block-nu solluvangalo??