1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

more observing? or just bored and not having anything else to do?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by swtsvn, May 31, 2008.

1. swtsvn

swtsvn New IL'ite

I just came back from my India trip. It was a short trip, for about 20 days. Within this short time, we had to go to trichy, chennai, and bangalore, excluding few temple visits. It was hectic enough for us. So we decided our 6 month old Sanjay would stay at home and not burn in agni natchatram which ironically ended on may 28th. The day we returned to USA.

Well, this trip has taught me a lot. quite particularly, to decipher people's reactions and body language. I am not joking people. Being with my in laws, and relatives for the past 20 days, I was able to understand the slightest hesitations, and the silence, and the manner of speech. I thought everyone knew these, until my friend said "why are u telling like that, she did not hesitate to do this.". Well I understood from her body language that she was hesitant to do that, and just because my friends were there, did not want to create a scene.

some of you might not understand my example. But i am sure some of you married gals, will get it quickly. you might say, because I am with that person long enough, I am able to know their gestures. But I was able to tell the difference between happy acceptance, and hesitant acceptance even with a person, i was not that familiar with. What is the big deal, you might think, these cues are very easy to find. yeah. thats what I thought too, but another person's husband did not understand this body language of her. He is with her for the past 30 yrs or so, and completely misunderstood, why I reacted like that, and took it in a different understanding. Which shocked me, because I thought everyone in that room, knew what she was talking about, and what I was replying.

Well all things put together, I realised I have started to understand more about body languages and their expressions. This serves as a boon as well as a curse. Because now I have started asking my husband. Why are u not smiling now, why are your eyebrows dancing in worries, why are you doing this, why are u doing that.. blah blah. which as u can quite clearly see, annoys anyone. So I guess I should go to the next step, understand the cues, and react accordingly, instead of asking stupid obvious questions. right? have you had this experience of understand a tad better than others? if so plz share your experience.

2. Ranchu

Ranchu Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

This is very much true in many instances. When i tell my hubby about such situations, he concludes saying i am very "sensitive" . Even i have had such experiences with my sister-in-law and mom-in-law. I am still wondering how to handle these petty things..

3. swtsvn

swtsvn New IL'ite

hi Ranchu,
    yes, they seem to be petty things, so petty that sometimes i wonder if they are worth thinking about. seriously, nobody else gets it, and hence no one understands our reaction. in the end we turn out to be the weirdos .. lol