1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mordern dresses sucks!!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by ish_nalini, Nov 1, 2007.

1. ish_nalini

ish_nalini Senior IL'ite

Vanakkam!!!

I would like to share a personal feel that pricking me daily.This is full and full related to our Indian wear. If any one is very much craze to wear modern dress please skip this thread...I feel very awkward when people wear modern dresses which show their structure to the society.I guess we wear dress only to cover our physical body and not to expose it..I wonder what for they wear such an exposing dress?fashion,if so what is fashion wearing those dresses?Wont they feel discomfort when other eyes go through them?I do agree that all the mistakes are on the views but though we tend to brought up in such a culture to wear only ethnic wear.Is the western culture spread through our country?:-(
    Anyone feeling same?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2007

2. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

count me in too, Ish_nalini.
    Too disgusted to see the effects of western culture penetrating through the cinemas and the 'citizens' following it without any sense!

sriniketan

3. Meeta

Meeta Bronze IL'ite

Hi nalini,
    Yeah, every odd is eye catching.........
    In India, we were used to see sarees/salwar etc........so anything little different from these seems odd and people look at it...........I am not saying anything in favour of cut-short dresses or minis......personally I don't like them too.........but dress pants/shirts are my favourite and these are also convenient to wear (in a hurry) and manage in office. And in many companies, they have a dress code...so wearing ethnic wear may back fire and some might have to loose the jobs.....so spreading tradition/culture can be done by development of our mind..........not by only wearing or following something very blindly.....
    But in my view, I feel we expose ourselves most in sarees........from sides...to backs.......to deep neck blouse........or stripped ones.........and sarees.....now they are so transparent.........:eek:mg:, sometimes feel that there should be some lining in sarees too............
    I think if we want to expose ourselves, we really don't need a dress code.......Rakhi (never put the pallu as it should be in the front) and Mandakini.......mallika.....ect.wearing white transparent sarees and taking bath in water springs.
    And, u won't believe that even in USA, people don't expose as some girls do even in India.........
    Regards.......

4. Huma

Huma Silver IL'ite

Meeta... i agree with you about the saree......

5. Shobanag

Shobanag Bronze IL'ite

Modern dresses sucks - seems to be way too generalized to me. Not all modern dresses are revealing and like Meeta says - the traditional ethnic saree can be worn to be very revealing. Whatever outfit one wears, you can wear it modestly - does not matter whether it is modern or ethnic. I do agree that the Indian movies are taking it to a whole new level - the way they wear their clothes is unbelievable!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  6. Blondie

Blondie Bronze IL'ite

Western dresses look good on people for whom they are ethnic wear (i.e westerners) take for example a red sleeveless low cut long tube dress with a slit either at the sides or in the back and imagine it on a our plump actresses....nine out of ten times it might elicit feelings of revulsion than a feeling of admiration. Now imagine it on Natalie Portman or Gwyneth Paltrow or jodie Foster ....now however revealing the dress might be they have the body and the grace to carry it well.

What ever out fit one is wearing western/eastern/ethnic/non ethnic, if it is in direct conflict with their body shape and cannot be worn with grace, will look odd even if it covers from head to toe.

The out fits worn most of the times in indian movies no sane person can wear them as street clothes. Even the hookers at dupont circle have better taste in clothes than these.

7. Meeta

Meeta Bronze IL'ite

Hi Blondie ma'am,
    I thought hookers are mostly around Atlantic city and Las Vegas but never thought they are in Dupont circle too..........but I do agree they have much better taste of clothes that some of our Indian actresses, but probably you have noticed that now these westeners are wearing Indian tops iwth lucknow or kashmiri stitches.......salwars etc in their parties too..........
    regards.

8. CharuKaur

CharuKaur Senior IL'ite

I would say dressing and interpreting the dressing of a person is all about one's "perspective". i remember my mom telling me that her father did not allow saree being worn by the women in the house as it was an incomplete dress and encouraged only salwar kameez to be worn.
    My own dad once asked me to wear stockings with a full length tunic
    Not only this, when I first came to the US, I observed that if a provocatively dressed woman passes by – not as many english men pay attention but Indian men have their eyes rolling all over and with her.
    :spin
    It’s the subjective interpretation of the observer in my opinion that actually makes a dress vulgar/decent.

Also there could be n number of reasons for how one dresses. People like wearing clothes that accentuate their special features like height, toned body etc.. Dressing could also be influenced by the work environment/atmosphere.

No offense meant, but I think its more about the ‘perspective’ than a right/wrong judgement!

9. rekhas

rekhas Senior IL'ite

Indian traditional sarees, salwars, and western outfits be it pants, dresses, skirts or capris can be worn modestly and elegantly. What we wear reflects our personality and taste. Skimpy and vulgar is what comes to mind watching females in Indian movies. Some do look good and not cheap. No wonder with females posing in minis, micros and see thru's club dancers Helen ilk are no more. Helen would probably be overdressed in front of our today's heroines. Most of them anyway.

10. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

dear friends,
    i feel no dress is indecent.it is the person who has the power to make it indecent.one may be wearing a full sleeved shirt but if one keeps the first three buttons it turns indecent.a salwar kameez can turn valgur if the salwar is of near transparent material & kameez with deep neck.then same with saree.if the saree is of thin material one should see that the blouse covers well.
    in the school i taught the girls were supposed to wear skirts below knee with socks till knees but senior girls used to fold their socks or make elastic loose so that it hangs near ankles & exposed legs ,to top it all used to drag skirt all the way up their waist to expose more legs.
    so in the end it all depends on the wearer how the choose to present themself.

1 person likes this.