1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

MOR KUZHAMBU Vs MAJJIGE HULI

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by twinsmom, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Very interesting topic. I love morkuzhambu a lot. Glad to note the variations. I am going to try out the majjige huli. Also everyone's choice of veg denotes whats available.
    I never knew that elavan is called ash gourd. thanks to twinsmom. I am trying to grow elavan which I am very fond of and will search for seeds under this name.
    Kadi also has its variation whether made in punjab or delhi or rajasthan. I am aware of this because of friends from those areas. but they all provide a nice alternative.
    My grandmother used to also have a pinch of rock salt served in the corner of her banana leaf(her plate) on days when morkuzhambu was served. it was made in white color in my home and there was always red chilies used in temper. she used to take the red chili and turn (mash) it in the rock salt and eat mixed in rice. I always remember her when i make morkuzhambu. Dont do it frequently bec hubby and son are not big fans of it. Ofcourse when my husband travels this is the staple for me.:2thumbsup:
    glad abha mentioned chembu, which is important ofcourse.
    regards
    anandchitra:)

2. raginiprakash

raginiprakash Senior IL'ite

Hey Twinsmom,

Unlike others here, my vote goes to Mor Kozhambu's 'cousin across the border', Majjige Huli!!

Well, i have never tasted Kozhambu, majjige Huli in our families is called 'Majjige Paldya' & we do it differently from what u mentioned. We just grind besan, grated coconut, dhania, jeera, green chillies & pepper. next step is to temper with mustard, add the vegetable, once it's cooked, we add the ground paste, haldi, salt & curds.

That's it, it's ready in a jiffy & another thing is we use only pumpkin or cucumber. With pumpkin, it tastes absolutely divine!!!

Cheers!
    Ragini.

3. twinsmom

twinsmom Silver IL'ite

Hi Friends,
    Thank you for your appreciation... Do tell me if I am supposed to individually reply to comments... I value all comments... but at times I don't have the luxury of time to sit and reply to all...later on, it all piles up. I Am sorry. But believe me, every word in response, whether in favour or in criticism shall be read with sincerity and cherished for its value... Than you, friends.:mrgreen:

4. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

Dear Twinsmom,

A very Good post indeed.
    You've a huge company of gluttons here - infact, it's nearly 10 or more days since I actually read any posts here and today I clik on new posts and your title just took my attention.
    Frankly, I've never tried majjige huli. from Gran parents to Gran children all of us in our family relish morkuzhambu.
    From all the comparisons that I read, I think It's like comparing a hot romantic scene from a beautiful romantic english movie to ..... you guys know what -----:mrgreen:
    My vote, our vote is also to the most tastiest MK.
    Your post made an interesting reading. do come back with more such hot, hot comparisons...

Love,

5. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Hi

Great one.The choices part was too good.

Have u tried Sindhi Curry.If not try it,even we dont make it very often these days and kids prefer the burgers and other delights.

Thanks and regards.kamal

Is that u Verbose Viju ?IIf so Hi.

6. twinsmom

twinsmom Silver IL'ite

Hi Kamalji,
    Yes....It is verboseviju... Kaise Pehchaane? Sunkan told me you have joined this forum... Great! Be seeing you...
    Regards.

7. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Twinsmom,

I enjoyed reading your analysis on the kuzhambu/huli. As a matter of fact, they are all siblings and related and I enjoy it as long as it is well prepared! A great way to use up your left over yoghurt and veggies and so quick to prepare. Long live the morkozhambu, majjigehuli and the kadi :))

L, Kamla

8. twinsmom

twinsmom Silver IL'ite

Dear meena and Kamla,
    Thank you...for the kind words... There seem to be quite a lot of MorKuzhambu/ Majjige huli fans here... Gives a sens eof belonging!

9. meenu

meenu Bronze IL'ite

Dear twinsmom,
    Yes, you are bringing memories back.I like pachapuliseri best without vegetables.Mymother serves this with molakashyam which is such a divine combination. All other buttermilk recipes are second to MK.Your posts are veryinteresting.Keep bringing life to IL.
    Regards,
    Meenu

10. corallux

corallux Bronze IL'ite

HI Twinsmom,

this post reminds me of a popular saying- One man's meat is another man's poison"

This is my honest opinion_ Comming from Mumbai, I have tasted both types of dishes mentioned here- I prefer the Majjige Huli

My mom makes it spicy & on a hot summer's Sunday afternoon, it makes a yumm combo with the Papads & the Sandiges Dad got frm his frequent trips to Bangalore:2thumbsup:

On an Onam day my Keralite neighbours( We live in a Govt of India Colony) gave us the Mor Kuzhambu & it did not go well with us..It left a bad taste in our mouth......That was the first & last time I tasted that dish & it still haunts me

I you ask me: MAJJIGE HULI rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers,

Corallux