Monthly Expenses In Usa And India

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by ProudIndian, Aug 27, 2022.

1. ProudIndian

ProudIndian Gold IL'ite

Hello

I want to know monthly expenses in USA and India for mid aged single person. I want to know all expenses other than rent/mortgage how much is needed. I understand rent/emi/mortgage/property taxes will be different in every city but food, utilities, car expenses should be same in any city of India and USA. Please advise.

2. needawayout

needawayout Silver IL'ite

well for me it starts with (India, rupees)
    electric bill - about 1000 regularly (with fridge, washing machine) , upto 5000 in summers
    grocery - about 3000
    gas cylinder - 1200
    tv - depends on your use, but about 500
    mobiles, internets, data - atleast 2000
    general maintenance, like cleaners, househelp, 3000
    your maintenance - like any parlors, beauticians etc, - minimum 3000

other than this, you need to include any doctor visits, health/gym, meds, fuel for commute, vehicle maintenance, or commute charges (like auto, taxi), entertainment (movie, eating out, etc)

This seems to be coming up to 12k-15k, apart from your house rent, maintenance.

If you are setting up a house first time, you have to keep aside for the setup also. BUt I think that can be done slwoly.

ProudIndian likes this.
  3. ProudIndian

ProudIndian Gold IL'ite

Thank you for your reply @needawayout but Groceries only 3000 rupees?

4. needawayout

ohh yea definitely.
    1 milk packet is about 29 - 1 pack for 2 days ... so 15 per month = 450
    curd - 45 per pack, 1 for 2 days - 45 * 15 = 700
    300 tea powder
    so 1000 already done, so might end up more, just toor dal averages 140 per kg
    veggies are so costly - avg 45 per kg, but since only 1 person, you might not need 1kg, but still veggies are expensive.

i mean this is for a simple indian meal

ProudIndian likes this.
  5. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

In Bangalore, if you look for help - Monthly: Maid - 3000-4000, Driver - 10000 (or cabs), Cook - 3000-5000
    (We have only maid, but just giving you an idea)

Vegetables & fruits we spend approx 500 per week, so 2000 per month (Family of 3 - all adults)
    Groceries - approx 10000-15000 per month (for a Family of 3)
    Electricity - Average 1800 - 2000 per month
    Maintenance apart from rent - could be 2500 - 4000 depending on your area (and water bill)

Yearly: Phone, data = approx 15000 per year for ACT, 2000 for jio (Might include TV also, I'm not sure as I dont use TV)

Occasional expenses:
    Eating out - approx 300 per meal
    Cabs - approx 500-1000 per trip OR if you hire a driver for the day and have your own vehicle, costs start from min 400 for 3 hours
    Doctor visit - 1000, any test they suggest - 2000-5000
    Beauty parlour - 2000+ for a visit

Mine is a bit more expensive city probably, but you can get the upper limit also if you plan to move to Bangalore or Delhi..
    Hyd, Mumbai, Chennai etc are much cheaper ! And tier 2 cities are even more cheaper..

Hope this helps !
    Keep smiling
    HR

Rihana and Anisu like this.
  6. needawayout

y
    you get a cook for 3k-5k in Bangalore? sooo nice
    My family in Hyderabad looked for one and she charged 13k per month. Morning and afternoon . The dinner will be the leftovers of Lunch. And no rotis. We need to keep batter ready if we want indli and dosa. Breakfasts are poha, upma, Tamarind rice, lemon rice. and ofcourse idli dosa
    Of course, they are not taking her services.

ProudIndian likes this.
  7. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Expenses for running a household and family with kids school going or college going varies widely around the globe and comparing expenses in $terms For the equivalent money spent in other parts of the world turns ridiculous.
    Expenses vary with altitude latitude geography life style and your tital family income.
    My friend’s wife was maintaining a journal of expenses. Every pie or penny spent is accounted in the journal. She was enquiring her young hubby at the end of each day the moneys he spent. Tired of answering her, he told her what is the use of writing day to day expenses and monthly expenses.
    He told her “Take my bank pass book at the end of the month. Look into numerous debits and very few credits the largest being my salary.. look at balance at the beginning and at end of the month . The difference between these two figures gives you our family expenses and this gives you an idea as to how costly it is for me to maintain a wife!”
    When my school mate and bachelor friend Seshamani on leave for a mobth returned from usa in 1975, i was shocked to see him with long hairs like that of ladies. I asked him why he gave up regular visit to hair cutting saloon, he said hair cut WAS very expensive in USA AND HE WAS just proceeding to saloon nearby in chennai.

ProudIndian likes this.
  8. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

If your earnings will be in dollars or its equivalent in rupees in India, then you can safely live on almost 1/3rd of your expenses in the USA. The average expenses on groceries and other household consumables for a single person can be around 10000 a month, depending upon your preferences.

Thyagarajan and ProudIndian like this.
  9. ProudIndian

ProudIndian Gold IL'ite

I want to hear expenses in USA for single mid aged person. Groceries, gas, insurance, maid, utilities for small house or 2 bed apartment. I understand house rent or mortgage plus tax will be different in every city but other expenses should be similar. Please advise.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  10. ProudIndian

ProudIndian Gold IL'ite

I didn’t understand this

HariLakhera likes this.