1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Montessori / private or normal (church based) preschool....plz need ur input urgently

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by jignasha27, Jan 22, 2013.

1. jignasha27

jignasha27 Bronze IL'ite

Hi all,
    Plz experienced moms in US need your help..... My son is 2 n half yrs old. Am hunting for schools. But really confused what type of school to choose from. I am stay at home mom. First of all I don't know much about the schooling here in US. There are church based preschools and then private schools and also Montessori. I heard that in normal preschools they don't stress much academically..... Am really confused here. Some of my friends kids went to normal preschool but they used to sit at home and study with their mom where as my kid just wants to play with me. I seriously prefer Indian style education where extra activities and studies are thought simultaneously at early stage.... Plz ladies help me in deciding.....

Thank you all

2. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

Re: Montessori / private or normal (church based) preschool....plz need ur input urge

Whichever school emphasizes play...

1 person likes this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Re: Montessori / private or normal (church based) preschool....plz need ur input urge

Jignasha,

There is a thread on how to choose a daycare. The tips there should apply to your situation too. http://www.indusladies.com/forums/infants/174261-tips-choosing-day-care-toddlers.html

Schooling as we know it in India doesn't start until KG in the U.S. Preschool is all about learning social skills, to follow instruction, lots of play, making friends, taking turns, motor skills, nursery rhymes, small performances on stage and so on. You heard it right, in "normal" preschools they don't stress much on the academics. But, that is for a good reason - the kids have many years to focus on academics. The years till 5 yrs are to develop other aspects of the kid's personality.

If you are still very keen about an academic focus preschool, then you need to think a little ahead too. What are the plans for KG and onward? If it is public schools, then a kid who goes to an academically focused preschool enters public school up to 2 years ahead of his peers. He will easily get distracted, bored and you will have to work with teacher to provide him more challenging work in class, and teachers do not always meet this request.

Enrolling kid in private elementary school with a SAHM does not make much sense, unless living in an area with really bad schools or have lots of money to burn. :)

Your son is only 2.5 yrs old. let him enjoy these years. I would suggest pick a preschool that has friendly office staff, low teacher turnover ratio, focus on play, teachers are caring/loving, school is open and airy, enclosed/fenced outdoor play area. I personally am not a big fan of Montessori style (or at least how it is done in the preschools I visited). The church ones, some are good, but in some quality could suffer due to low rates they charge. If a church based preschool comes recommended by a friend or neighbor, go for it. If not, pick a normal preschool based on factors mentioned above (friendly office staff.. etc).

A big thing with Indian kids is lunch. If you kid will be having lunch there, check if they allow home food, do they warm it up, and what if child is slow/picky eater.

Also, from experience,I would suggest not to over spend on preschool. For a SAHM, preschool only serves as a socializing/play venue for the kid away from mom and some kid free hours for the mom.

2 people like this.
  4. jignasha27

jignasha27 Bronze IL'ite

@teacher
    Thanks for reply. Infant I was expecting answer from you. Not to mention your name says everything:) I have seen many f your discussions and I like the way you understand kids psychology.... yeah now my thoughts are clear. We have godd church based preschool nearby and few of my friends recommended....but was little bit confused....thanks once again...

@ Rihana
    Thanks dear for nice elaborated explanation....U cleared all my doubts. We have good church based preschools near by....going for their open house this week. Thank you.

5. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

2 people like this.
  6. jignasha27

jignasha27 Bronze IL'ite

@teacher

Thanks for sharing.......really helpful :)