1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Monickers and Namesakes...

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by twinsmom, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Gem

Gem New IL'ite

I had a tickling time reading Twinsmom’s article and a another ball of a time reading all the other feedbacks. Thank you guys! Twinsmom, keep writing. You have a way with words. You inspire me.

I couldn’t help remembering how RK Narayan – Malgudi’s Days fame – got his name. His full name is Rasipuram Krishnaswami Ayyar Narayanaswami.

Graham Greene, a well known British writer who helped to edit and publish RK’s first book, could not pronounce his name, so shortened it to RK Narayan for his convenience. And that name stuck for life. Maybe the moniker brought RK Narayan a lot of luck.

:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

Gem

2. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Twinsmom
    Thanks for writing another interesting topic and popular one too. In recent years the names parents give children are unique many claiming inspirations from purana stories etc. nice and interesting names i think. btw my father is from chittor in kerala. since i saw your name i was reminded of it. that ofcourse reminded me of all the summers we spent at our chitoor house.and the replies are ofcourse hilarious. cannot forget gas mani. my husband the humourous one int he family has a great stock of such names which he sometimes reminscences in good company (not me..!!) and i always roll with laughter. so your thread reminded me of all this. thanks

3. krish22

krish22 Senior IL'ite

Hi All,

I was LOL after reading the article and the feedbacks.It's really tickling...

Krish.

4. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Viju,

HA HA Ha. you are too much.Super duper blog.havnt laughed so much recently.Who said india dosnt have good wrriters.We have u, Sri, Sunkan and so many others here.God bless u all.

My daughters are named Radhika and Sita ,my nephew and neice are called Gopal and Meera.

My dad was the boss, and we did not object.When i told him what if i have a son, what nam,e will u pull out from the Shastras.Lets see .Kans is a nice name.Unique.So is Ravan,Ghatotkach.One of its kind on this planet.:smile: He would only smile.

Regards.kamal

5. maya08

maya08 Senior IL'ite

wow...
    this is really interesting...
    and i used to think that my name was really long.

the name was given by my grandfather.the extra 'a's in my name was said to be for numeralogical reasons.

thinking of all the other examples given by you vijaya ji,it makes me realise mine is not too bad after all.that is of course when i was in malaysia.but now that im here in australia, its even worse.
    the white's here already have a hard time pronouncing my name correctly,what more spelling it.they end up letting me write my name for them.:2thumbsup:

cheers

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2020