Money, And How Did The Corona Lockdown Affect Yours ?

Discussion in 'Money Matters' started by Hopikrishnan, Mar 17, 2021.

1. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

When March comes about each year, we gather all our money related documents, and tell the country's Revenue Service (Income Tax) people the facts.

In America the savings-rate has gone up, from about 7% of after-tax Income to about 17% during the year 2020. In spite of a whole lot of people ignoring health warnings, and following the President's advice to go out there, and spend the money. For the desi-Americans and their families, already somewhat conservative when it comes to spending, and quite gung-ho in savings and investments, the year 2020 was verging on the extreme ecstasy, while bordering on the onset of agony for the inability to spend any money. No travel, no eating out, no shopping, and no parties at home. Life may have lost all meaning in households that lacked an in-law or two, either in person or delivered on the video.

My savings has gone up, although my income has stayed the same. The summary-reports from credit-card companies that we can easily generate at their websites, are quite different for 2020 compared to other years. My biggest drops were in the expenses for staying at hotels, travel, and eating out. Pretty close to a 95% drop. Utilities (water, electricity, gas) and home-entertainment expenses have gone up a little. I had not bought any new clothes in over a year; and I had not even used all the clothes in the closets. And I bought no other manner of textile goods -- towels, bed-linens, etc.-- either. The year had been a hibernation, with limited outings from the den, and scant options to spend the money.

For the non-retired adults (aka working population) in America, the repercussions of the year of Corona virus infestation would be long time coming:
    [​IMG]
    source

• How has 2020 affected your money (what currency/country)?
    • Gone up or down or stayed about the same ?
    • What is the cause of the most change ?

2. Nedefrel

Nedefrel New IL'ite