1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Moms guide me for some peaceful healthy meals for kids

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by SGBV, Apr 22, 2015.

1. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Dear mommies,

I have 2 kids (A preschooler and toddler). I am always concerned about the food they eat, the nutritional stuff and the quantity. They have no weight issues. They are also very active, and meeting their milestones, perhaps earlier/faster than the average kids. Even then, I feel there needs to be a lot of improvements with regards to their meal time.

I have the following queries,

How many meals do you offer to your kids?
    I give them 3 big meals (b'fast, lunch and dinner), and 2 snacks (fruits in the morning, and biscuits in the eve)
    They have at least 2 cups of milk in the morning and eve, with supplementary drinks such as horlicks, complan or milo mixed with their milk.
    The younger one consumes more milk, at least 4 cups, but yet to experiment with the energy drink.

I ensure there is at least 2 hr gap between each meal/drink.
    Sometimes, instead of fruits, they have fruit juices. And sometimes nuts as available as eve snacks.

In addition, my son takes cakes for school time snack.

Breakfast will be mostly grains, wheat or rice based stuff or noodles. I try my best to include lean meat and veggies, but they love only eggs.

Lunch will be always rice, with veggies and fish. I fry the fish mostly for the oil intakes. However, they like sausages and processed meat only.

Dinner will be mostly the traditional food like Puttu, or string hoppers. Mostly made of rice floor. They will have to eat it with curries. But they love it with banana and sugar.

As I read somewhere, I tried to make shapes of food, and served them in different colourful plates with fun games etc..etc.... It works only for that moment, then I will have to invent a new thing.

Moms here @guesshoo, @rakhii @ramyaramani @preethiitech @shanvy @yellowmango et all, please guide me for some peaceful meal times.

2. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

@SGBV your meal plan is awesome and I have nothing to add except that I would stay away from supplementary drinks. There is absolutely no need to add Horlicks or complan to the plain milk. Plain whole milk has all the nutrition you need. I know Moms get tempted to add those things in the name of flavoring it but I for one strongly advise against it as they have more harm than good. If you need you can soak some almonds at night and grind it to paste with some milk and boil it and give. This has more nutrition than those prepacked beverages.

2 people like this.
  3. breeze01

breeze01 Platinum IL'ite

hi, dont you think they drinking too much milk... my son drink 2 cups of milk. last month for his 3yr check up doctor check and said his height,weight are like 5 yr old... and said not to give him milk at bedtime... but i am used to giving him as he gets up around 9,10 in the morning...

so i reduce his milk intake.. morning 3/4 cup with cereal.. bed time one cup (size reduced)... but bed time milk not always when he feels he is hungry then i ask him and give him...

hi, this is good thread as i am getting in dilemma what to give him everyday... different varieties.only thing i give him is mixed veggie rice or pasta or bread with milk instead of rice.. he ends up eating rice two times a day so trying to reduce that...lets wait for other ladies what they say...

i add strawberry syrup for his milk.... but i been reducing that too..trying to stop it with this bottle...

1 person likes this.
  4. breeze01

breeze01 Platinum IL'ite

hi for the almond milk do we need to boil it... i tried it 3,4 times but i just make it paste and add it to warm milk and give him... if we eat the paste we feel like something.. so i just let him drink as much as he want and take the rest away... so does boiling makes it easy to drink it and take off the raw flavour.... if we need to boil how long we need to boil...?????

i do prefer to give him almond milk instead of syrup...

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@SGBV

Just go through this thread, that was a beautiful eye opening discussion for many..

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/baby-kids-foods/233423-beware-health-drinks-young-children.html

regarding meals, you need to talk about healthy eating, to your son who can understand a little better. and your dd will follow him atleast for the time being.

and i have a very strict discipline when it comes to food. no choices. what is on the table is what they get. it means that is what nature/god whatever you want to believe has given us..so i can't help on that...

3 people like this.
  6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

take good quality almonds. roast on a slow flame, so that you are not going to roast them to the extent of having crunchy roasted almonds..we are taking away the moisture out..

add some brown sugar/palm candy/ sugar candy and saffron/cardamom/vaniila as per your flavor preference.

run it in the mixie..you get a nice coarse or fine powder. add a tsp or more to your milk..

i prefer to make the badam mix at home because i believe storebought has some preservatives and groundnuts along with the almonds, and excess sugar.

you can flavor their milk using good quality vanilla/cardamom whichever flavor they like more..

And if you are trying to make the a badam milk using soaked almonds..then deskin, run in the mixie to a coarser texture and add it to the milk and boil without it getting stuck at the bottom or burning..then you can add sugar to taste..

2 people like this.
  7. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

For snacks, we usually go with cheese, fruits and raisins, yogurt (plain or with fruits), celery with peanut butter etc.

1 person likes this.
  8. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

@SGBV, your meal plan is good. You say your kids are the ideal weight. I am sorry I don't quite get "peaceful meal times". Do the kids throw tantrums to eat what's offered?

Like Shanvy, my kids have always been taught to respect the food offered to them. They either eat it or go hungry. Over the course of time, they have started eating what the adults eat. A firm "This is what you get because Amma/ Appa took a lot of time and effort in making this" is usually sufficient.

We do not do any special shapes or anything. I do such things once in a bluemoon as a special treat.

9. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Elder one is 4 year, and he consume 2 cups a day. Younger one is just 1 1/2 year, so more milk. Because she eats less quantity of other solid foods compared to her bro.
    Anyhow, their height and weight is just right as per their age. If they are over weight, then yes, we must consider reducing milk intakes. Thanks

10. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

I am a working mom. I get very limited time to feed my kids during their main 3 meals. Because, after the morning chores/cooking, I rush to the office before 8.30am. So, between 7.30-8.00am I try to finish both of their meals. But my kids are sometimes not willing to eat peacefully.
    Either they play, demand to switch the TV on or refuse to eat after a point. It is very rare that they eat everything peacefully sitting on their dining table. I understand that they are very young. So, mostly I tried so hard to cook alternative meals, shapes, and do other fun stuff to make their meal time fast and peaceful. So, thought of getting some tips to make their meal time special.

However, you and @shanvy made me to think otherwise. I am yet to be strong and firm with the kids in this regard. I know it is a good disciplining technique.

Yes, it may not go well at the beginning, but over the course of time, they will learn to eat like adults, as well this will help me in many ways. Thanks