1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mommy, where do babies come from?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by DDC, Aug 22, 2010.

1. DDC

DDC Silver IL'ite

Let me start off by saying I am a mom & I am sure you all know what that entitles. I can handle work, home & homework, calls from the nurse’s office , day care dilemmas, car pool schedules & cupcake requests by the ton without batting an eye. But there are instances when Life throws such a curve ball that the world around you stops –you hear the wind rustling and the birds chirping while the question your little one just asked is pounding in your head.

I was driving home after having picked up my kids from school & all was well. The kids were happily chatting & I was just pulling into my drive when my son dropped the bomb. Believe me when I say I would have been able to handle the situation better if he had said a stinking cuss word. I was so NOT ready for the question he asked:

“Mommy where do babies come from?”

Ok, while I am trying hard to drive & breathe simultaneously, a million thoughts are racing in my head- “WTH are they teaching in school, why does he want to know, isn’t he too young to ask these kind of questions, DD never asked” etc etc.

In a serious effort to buy time I said “Baby let me park first, then I’ll answer your question”. Ok, I parked what now? I want to tell him to “go ask Daddy” but unfortunately DH will look even more like a lost child than I felt at that moment so I decided against it.

I didn’t want to lie to him & give him weird ideas; I don’t want to tell him the truth, the whole truth & nothing but the truth. Trust me, this is where Crisis Management courses from business school or PMP certifications or whatever else you are into comes in handy- calm down first and.. and ..aha, answer a question with a question. So I asked him “why do you want to know?” Alas, he is smarter than his mom so he counters with “Do they come from mommy’s tummy?”

This is easy, I think naively “Yes, they come from mommy’s tummy”. “Does it hurt a lot?” he asks & “Yes it does” I answer proudly.

He thinks for a bit & asks ”Do they come from daddy’s tummy too?” I start to wonder “Is this guy getting technical on me?” but decide to take it at face value & answer with “No, only from mommy’s tummy”. My little one goes “Whew, so you mean I won’t get fat or have to be in pain? Thank God. I’m good Ma” & starts to gather his stuff from the car.

He then turns to DD who has been patiently listening to all this & drops the second bomb for the day “YOU are in BIG trouble when you grow up” & happily walks away.

I was sitting in the car with my mouth hanging open, for a very long time that day.:bowdown

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010

2. iswaryadevi

iswaryadevi Platinum IL'ite

Wowwwwwww....could not stop laughing after reading your post :biglaugh:biglaugh:biglaugh

Your son is soooo cute...:)
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

3. mstrue

mstrue New IL'ite

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl OH DDC!!!!
    He is so smart yaar! I wish I were there to see it first hand! :)

Reminds me of a joke.
    A child asks, "Dad, what is s**?"
    He is frozen for a minute like you. :biglaugh
    But then unlike you, he decides to tell his son the truth and nothing but the truth.

When he is finished telling, the son looks even more puzzled.
    The boy shouts, "Geez!! How the hell am I going to write all of that in this small check box?" showing his school application form!

Get it?! :biglaugh

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  4. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello DDC
    To read such articles is hilarous but when the questions comes to you, it is like a blow on your face.
    Once I faced such a situation but a different one. usually out of india when a women is not happy with the man she leaves him and catch hold of another which is very common, My son was 10 and was playing with his friends outside with neighbours kids, that day those kid went off early as number 2 dad was coming to meet them. (that lady had 3 husbands with 4 kids). My son did not understand so he came and asked me mummy what is 2nd dad and 3 dad means I answered him as was not so difficult one.
    then the next one comes why I have only 1 dad and those kids have 3 dads:bonk at this point you just don't know what to answer.
    But no option have to be smarter then them na, I told him if X's mom doesn't like that man she will bring in another so X will have 2nd dad so it is like. where the questioning is going to stop pop comes another.
    Why I don't have another dad???:biglaugh
    Where the poor guy knows Indian's have only one dad:)
    I had to tell him I like your dad so will not change for another....hehehehe
    This incident was nearly 10 years back.......such funny things sometimes you don't forget.

5. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Dear DDC

Now a days children are very smart. I think they learn everything when they are in the womb only.Ya it is difficult to answer questions like this. Your son is so cute. Had a good laugh reading your post. Aruna nice to read about your son too

love
    viji

6. Raba

Raba Gold IL'ite

Dear DDC,

:biglaugh:biglaugh:biglaughSo your PMP cert helped you in tackling DS if not the project.

Good Good. Lovely Child.

I enjoyed it DDC:cheers

7. DDC

DDC Silver IL'ite

Ishwarya,T,Aruna & Raba: Thanks a ton for you lovely fbs. Yes, he is a handful but a joyful handful.

Viji ma: Special thanks for reading & giving me an fb. He is such a smart aleck.

8. gjaya

gjaya Silver IL'ite

DDC, your DS is one smart cookie, eh?? :rotflI am wondering what did your DD think when you DS commented about being in BIG trouble...:biglaugh I hope she did not ask you what did her brother meant by that haan??

Lovely write-up DDC, enjoyed it. :thumbsup

9. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

I really enjoyed the entire post DDC. Welcome to snippets section and a good start here :thumbsup

I especially enjoyed the "Is this guy getting technical on me?" :biglaugh Trust DDC to take a simple question and imagine it as a more complex question :)

And, "YOU are in BIG trouble" was just hilarious. I want to know if your DS responded - curious me! :idea

10. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

Dear DDC,

The title of the post was all-saying, yelling and screaming what this post was going to be about , yet you have managed to create such rapturous & delightful post on the innocence of your son which glued me till the end.

The humour was so swift and fluid that the smiles on the opening of the post turned to giggles and crescendoed to guffaws by the end of the post :biglaugh:biglaugh:biglaugh:biglaugh

Are you penning down a follow up post on how you managed to evade the truth ,nothing but the truth from your DD ? If not then please do so as we are eagerly waiting for more of your splendid posts.:thumbsup