Modern Microwave Cooking

Discussion in 'Ask ChitVish' started by Chitvish, Apr 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. varudhini

varudhini Bronze IL'ite

Dear Chitra madam

Your posts on modern microwave cooking are very useful. I use microwave mainly for steaming and cooking vegetables. I did not try any sweets in it execpt cake. Now I will try them. Waiting for your photos of MW utensils that can be used mainly for making pulaos and cakes. As glass bowls are very heavy I am using plastic ones though I know that they are not good from health point. Give some pictures of ceramic bowls of different sizes. Also give some more chocolate recipes that can be made easily in MW.

With regards
    Varudhini

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Varudhini !

Please remember that for making sweets, timing comes by practice in your own MW. Depending on the wattage & size, the timing is likely to vary by 1 or 2 mts, this way or that way.
    Tomorrow, I will post photos of some suitable sizes for various dishes.
    Thankyou.
    Love,
    Chithra.

3. Laxmi

Laxmi Administrator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Mountain coming to Mohammed

Dear Chithra

How wonderful to think about it.
    But no I would definitely not trouble you to that extent. As it is I keep calling you for my doubts in which brand to buy, where to buy the MW bowls, recipe doubts and et. al.
    Definitely Mohamed would come to mountain in the month of January, what say?
    yes it is big brinjal, wld try to reduce the time and chk it up.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2006
  4. Laxmi

Laxmi Administrator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi Varloo

Chithra please permit me to post reply to Varloo

Hi Varloo,
    Chithra suggested Currimbhoys for all the MW bowls and accessories. I went there to get some and yes the shop has got all the stocks. For all your MW accessories from bowls, moulds, cookie cutters, MW steamer, MW tumler to just abt anything it is available there. There is one on Anna Nagar too, near K4 police station. Hope info is useful.

5. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear laxmi,
    Currimbouy's at Anna Nagar does not have ceramic bowls. Only glass ware. I have not visited the one at Parry's. I bought the mixing bowls at Poppat Jamal, opp. to Spencer's at Mount Road. They have good variety of ceramic also, small cups to large ones. The prize is also okay. I also have Tupperware steamer , it is multipurpose-steamer, container and also idli mould.
    I bought one set of 3 different sized bowls with lids of Cello company. It is good.'Thanks for the help.
    Chithra has some very beautiful MW ware in ceramic, I was asking to see them.

6. Chitvish

To Laxmi & Varloo !

I bought quite a lot, mainly ceramic in Adyar Currimbhoys, last year this season. This is the best month to see there, I feel.
    If you can manage to wade through the crowd of Rathna Stores in Pondy Bazar, look out for ceramic bowls. I do pick up odd ones from there as well.
    Love,
    Chithra.

7. Chitvish

MW Rasam – ready in 7 mts!

This rasam is best made when you make Sambar, Bisibela etc.

For an emergency, this can be made without adding dhal water, if you have not cooked dhal that day. Otherwise thin dhal water can be used.

To make 500ml of rasam:

Tamarind paste - 1 heaped tsp

MW rasam powder - 1 heaped tsp ( or to taste)

Tomato - 1 medium or 2 small, chopped

Salt

To temper:

Ghee - ½ tsp

Mustard seeds - ½ tsp

Jeera - ½ tsp

3 in 1 powder - ¼ tsp

Chopped coriander leaves to garnish - 2 tsp

In a MW bowl, take ½ cup water & add tamarind paste, rasam powder, chopped tomatoes & salt.

MW medium for 5 mts.

Remove, make up with plain or dhal water.

Mw for 2 mts or less – it need not boil.

Temper as given on the stove.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 20, 2006
  8. Chitvish

MW vessels - 1

The small shallow ones are ideal for cooking 2 tbsp of moong dhal, gram dhal, sauting small amounts of vegetables for upma.
    The blue dish contains keerai.
    The big white vessel has vegetables boiled i it - here it is avarakai ( broad beans)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2006
  9. varudhini

varudhini Bronze IL'ite

Dear Chitra madam

Good morning. Seen ur ceramic bowels. Do u have any idea about where we can get good quality ceramic bowls in Hyderabad.

One more request for u (actually for evrybody who posts in IL) is please try to use as much english words as possible as some of us do not know Tamil (actually I did my M.Sc in Coimbatore long long back in 80s. Though I know Tamil and can understand I do not know most of the vegetables and dhals names). So along with tamil it is better to give english names also so that everybody can understand.

With regards
    Varudhini

10. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear Chithra,
    the bowls look cute. Last Sunday, I had been to Rathna. I am on the cleaning and changing spree now. I bought the huge steel stand for plates and small utensils, tumblers etc. Then we bought a large bowl, square shaped and slightly tapering on the base from there. It is good. But all others they have are borosil or pyrex. Pyrex is very costly, around 3000. Popat Jamal has large vrieties of ceramic. I guess Gatsby hs a good collection, I have no idea about the cost. And we could get good ones from the exhibitions which are held often. But, being far away, it is difficult to visit just then.Adyar is still farther, the traffic makes it more terrible. Anyway, I shall keep in mind. Thanks a lot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.