1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Mixing of Cabbage & tomato in cooking.Is it good or not?

Discussion in 'Healthy Living' started by sunikris, Feb 11, 2007.

1. sunikris

sunikris Bronze IL'ite

Hello all.,
    Hope u all r doing good.

From so many years I have one doubt.
    here it is..
    I have heard mixing 1.cabbage & tomato 2.Spinach & tomatto (eating & cooking)can cause in formation of Kidney stones.
    I am hearing this from my childhood.

& having cabbage soup regularly also can leads to same problem.

Have u ever heard this?
    but I also heard having cabbage soup(cabbage & tomatto mixed also) is good for health.

Which is true?
    I thought this is the right place & time to rise this Question.
    Dear ladies here i am waiting for ur responses..
    Plz clear my doubt.

Thanku all
    Sunikris

Last edited: Feb 11, 2007

2. Malini S

Malini S New IL'ite

Hi Sunikris,
    I too have heard that one shld not mix spinach and tomato (causes calcium depletion). Am not too sure abt this.....i remember reading something like this many years ago. Hope some ILite is able to clear this doubt.

:wave Malini

Last edited: Feb 11, 2007
  3. honeybee

honeybee Gold IL'ite

HI Sunikris & Malini
    My family physician gave us one more piece of useful information about consuming cabbage..
    People with thyroid problems especially hypothyroidism should limit/avoid the consumption of cabbage.I couldn't get the reason though.

Regards
    Honeybee

3 people like this.
  4. sunikris

sunikris Bronze IL'ite

HI Malini & Honeybee,:)
    Thanku for ur responses.
    Thanks for coming forward with ur questions.
    Will c the ladies responses .

:wave

5. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Dear Sunikris,
    Both Spinach and Tomatoes have Oxalates. These substances when the balance of minerals in body is disturbed, tend to mix with calcium( spinach and other greens are rich sources) and form kidney stones. This happens only in people whose body metabolism predisposes them to form stones. The best way to avoid stone foramtion is to stay well hydrated. Drink atleast 1.5 litres of water in a day.
    Also when using tomatoes, it is good to de seed them and use.
    Other sources for oxalates are Tea, nuts like peanuts, chocolate etc...

About cabbage and kidney stones, it is not true. But it is true that goitrogens ( things that interfere with the goitre in the absorption of Iodine) in cabbage interferes with the production of thyroid hormone and hence people with Hypothyroidism should take less amount of cabbage.

Hope this helps.

Vandhana

6. varudhini

varudhini Bronze IL'ite

Hi Sunita and Malini

When you are having kidney stones then only you have to avoid mixing cabbage and tomato or spinach and tomato and that too not for all types of stones.

There are several types of kidney stones. They usually occur when the urine becomes highly concentrated due to heavy perspiration or insufficient intake of fluids. The other causes are a wrong diet, excess intake of acid-forming foods, white flour and sugar products, meat, tea,coffee, condiments and spices, rich foods, and overeating. So, depending on their nature we should avoid certain foods.

Please go through the following facts about kidney stones that i have collected from the net.

About ninety per cent of all stones contain calcium as the chief constituent. More than half of these are mixtures of calcium, ammonium and magnesium, phosphates and carbonates, while the remainder contain oxalate.

For controlling the formation of calcium phosphate stones, the intake of calcium and phosphates should be restricted. Foods which should be avoided are wholewheat flour, Bengal gram, peas, soyabean, beet, spinach, cauliflower, turnips, carrots, almonds, and coconuts. When stones are composed of calcium, magnesium phosphates, and carbonates, the diet should be so regulated as to maintain an acidic urine. On the other hand, the urine should be kept alkaline if oxalate and uric acid stones are being formed. In the latter case, fruits and vegetables should be liberally used, and acid-forming foods should be kept to the minimum necessary for satisfactory nutrition. In case of uric stones, foods with a high purine content such as sweet breads, liver, and kidney should be avoided.

So along with spinach, cabbage, and tomato there is a long list of food items that should be avoided based on the type of stones.

As long as you are drinking plenty of water and eating right diet there is no harm in taking spinach or cabbage and tomato together.

Varudhini

7. sunikris

sunikris Bronze IL'ite

Dear Vandhana,
    Very nice & wonderful explanation.
    Thanku for reply.
    Have a nice day.

bye :wave
    Suneeta

8. vmur

vmur Silver IL'ite

Dear All,

I would like to add that all vegetables belonging to the cabbage family(cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower and kale) are to be taken in moderation if suffering from Hypothyroidism. Some soy products are also known to have goitrogenic and estrogenic effects and is best avoided if known to have thyroid problems.

Regards
    Vidya

9. sunikris

sunikris Bronze IL'ite

Dear Varudhini,
    Thanku very much for ur good Informative & useful post.
    Thanku very much for a good explanation.

regards
    Suneeta

10. Malini S

Malini S New IL'ite

:thankyou2: friends. Now its clear. Thanks for the information. Dear Sunikris, glad that you voiced your doubt.

:wave Malini