1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Missing wearing the sarees like the earlier days

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by iyerviji, Oct 1, 2010.

1. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

I was just remembering my working days when I used to buy different kind of latest sarees and wear them when I used to go to office.

I have told before also I dont like to sit and worry about anything but like to enjoy life from childhood.

Before marriage me and my sister used to share the sareees. My sister is very simple and for her praying to God is more than enough. So whenever we buy a saree she will ask me to wear first saying you wear it nicely, I will wear it later. Those days new dresses were bought only for Diwali. So we had only a few collection of sarees.

After marriage also in the beginning I could not buy much sarees. Later I could buy the sarees which I want. But I never used to buy costly sarees. Instead of buying saree for Rs. 1000'- I used to buy saree for Rs. 250/- so that I will have four sarees. We had a shop near our office where myself and my friend always used to visit and buy the latest sarees. The shopkeeper also new the technique of making us buy the sarees.
    Once the lady, the owner of the shop took a photo of me buying the saree and published in Marathi paper.

While going to office after my hip bone fracture I used to take a contract bus. Some ladies used to watch me everyday and one day they were telling me that everyday they wait to see which saree I am wearing. They became my friends and they came for Navrathri also to my house.

I was so glad when one friend from my Contract bus used to say that i am a perfect woman as I used to wear a nice saree and never have gone to office without flowers in my head.

Now I miss all those days. Only when I am going for a function I wear a nice saree and go . Sometimes I wear the samesaree which I am wearing in the house and go to buy flowers. No patience to wear a saree while going to market or anywhere nearby. If thesaree I am wearing is not so good then only I change.

Hope you all not bored with my saree puranam.

2. iswaryadevi

iswaryadevi Platinum IL'ite

Nice to know about your earlier days aunty...Though I prefer wearing chudi and jean as I am more comfortable in it, I love wearing sarees and taking snaps...It makes me feel more feminine and matured :)

3. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Dear Ms. Viji
    A topic very dear to my heart.
    I enjoyed reading your post. I love sarees too. Your situation is similar to mine; except I don't have a sister. My mother would give her new sarees for me to wear to college.
    Even here at home I wear sarees only and on weekends I wear sarees to go shopping. People from India will ignore me when they see me in stores. On the contrary westerners will come up to me and pay such wonderful compliments. My collegues always ask me to wear saree to work. I oblige them on our festival days. I now have about 10 requests for saris on my next India trip.
    Kamala

4. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

I enjoyed your sari puranam, Viji. I love saris. When I was young, I used to love to buy saris and wore them with a nice blouses with back buttons etc. Loved white Bengal cotton saris with borders. I collected so much. Thanks ot my in law's house, the sari collection has increased. Now living in USA, I don't wear too much. I wear in for parties, going to temples etc. But my love for sari has increased.
    Nothing like saris. Sometimes, I wea rto work place. As Ms.KKrish, our people always look at me strangely when I wear sari shopping. i don't care.
    When I visit you, would love to see your collections. are you going to buy saris for Navarathri and Diwali? What color and what type? Enjoy shopping.

5. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Coffeelover

Congratulations for winning the blog cheer leader of the month. I am very happy for you. will give reply to your feedback later. I wanted to congratulate you first.

love
    viji

6. Coffeelover

Viji, what are you talking about???? Winner???

7. Coffeelover

@Viji, thanks to you, I checked my messages. You are the first one to congratulate me. Thanks being a great friend. Because of all of you, I got the award. so nice. so happy.

8. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Viji Akka I am going to use your blog to contratulate Ms. Coffeelover.
    @Ms. Coffeelover: Congratulation on winning this award.
    I also feel better knowing that you wear saris when going to stores here. In the beginning when I was new to this country this attitude by fellow Indians used to hurt me because I missed home so much and an Indian face was like an oasis. Now, 23years later, I am used to it and like you I too have developed "don't care" attitude.

9. Coffeelover

@KKrish, you can call me CoffeeAkka. I live here in Bay area, CA for a long, long time. As you know, we have so many Indian live here. But my younger Indian friends refuses to stop at the gas station or stores because there are in Sari. I do wear western clothes, but who cares what you are wearing. How much you dress up with western clothes, make up and English, you are an Indian. No one makes fun of you for that. These women keep Golu, see all the Indian movies with kids and show off their wealth, but when they come out they think not American, but "White". What is your opinion about it???

Thanks for congratulating me.

10. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Dear CoffeeAkka
    Exactly my view! Every time our Indian "friends" look at me like I am crazy for wearing sari I think, whatever they wear, the Indian features stand apart and the moment we talk our strong accent reveals eveything. Why are they so immature and have false values, I don't know. Some youngsters here have labeled me "sari lady"- the Indian community is very small where I live and gossip about me always reaches me :) As I said I don't care anymore...I now have lovely friends on IL and at work I don't feel lonely at all.