1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Misinterpretation that I am avoiding friends

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by Einstein21, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Einstein21

Einstein21 New IL'ite

Hi friends,I cannot avoid this situation and this keeps on repeating when I am not expecting such a misinterpretation.pls help me guys!!!

I would love to chat with neighbors,make new friends in my new place.
    I met 2 American moms near our apartment bus stop.
    Yesterday suddenly my neighbor asks me to go to a pet store without planning about it earlier day with me.It was a coldest day and was having body aches since I woke up in morning.i said the same thing that I am not feeling very well and kind of dizzy even to stand.
    Is this taken as rude behavior when i have a genuine reason to go back to home and take rest.she doesn't come to bus stop everyday.i haven't seen or talked to her since 2 months.Does she think that I am telling lies and avoiding her.
    How do I convey in my talks that I need one day time to plan for it.

I went to public library with my DD.I met a Telugu family friend there and I was invited to her home.Here also I would have gone that day if I had known it before.
    i am noticing that I don't receive a reminder about it or they won't keep waiting for my next possible time(normally would be 1 or 2 days)to meet her again at her home.

i have 2 reasons here why I couldn't go the same time and day as the friend asked.
    i have shifted recently to this new city.her house is close to library still I need to see the Google map first to know their house route etc.she could have taken me in her car.she said I can follow her car till the house.what if something goes wrong while driving in new road.

Is it rude to say I can come some other day...I know I may be thinking a lot but I am not getting a second chance /call related to last time unfinished visit.

pls pour your suggestions!!!!

Thanks in advance

1 person likes this.

2. Sapna56

Sapna56 Bronze IL'ite

Dear OP
    You may ask them if you can visit them on some specific day n time. Don't wait for them to invite you. They may be afraid that you may again reject to come.

5 people like this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

You are new to the city. Making friends takes time. They were casual in the invitation to home or asking to accompany to pet store (!). That was a spur of the moment invitation, you couldn't go, they forgot about it. Pretty normal.

In general, coming across as in-need-of-friends, or preferring advance planning, hamper making of friends.

Do you see a link between this and other thread about DD more attached to dad?

Give it time. Continue to go out to library etc. And try to remember there are many more in similar situation, if that helps.

2 people like this.
  4. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Friendship is like love/ marriage. It needs chemistry.

I think relationships are meant to be if it needs to be.

I never understood the concept of working hard for it and trying to please people and hanging out with innumerous friends to find the right one.

if there is chemistry in your friendship,you will go behind it without thinking much and same with the other person.

this is my lesson learnt.

relax and be yourself

5. kcb

kcb IL Hall of Fame

Dear OP, I think it was a casual invitation from your library friend, she may not be serious about it. If she is serious, then she would have definitely taken your contact number and will plan for it and will invite you some other time.

Generally it happens when we meet someone, just for formality sake people say why don't u come to my place. So don't think about it seriously. If someone seriously need your friendship, then they will definitely give u enough time and will invite you again.

1 person likes this.
  6. catwalk

catwalk Gold IL'ite

Stay in your comfort zone.

If you want a social life, you need to compromise on your personal routines. You may not get enough time for yourself. Larger the social circle, lesser the personal space.
    Most of the weekends may be occupied by birthday parties , some celebrations and get togethers.

If you don't want to loose your comfort zone, just convey it to your friends and they will not call you from next time onwards. But you will not be ''in the circle'' anymore.

7. abc00

abc00 Gold IL'ite

From my experience I have seen that if we want to develop friendships in USA (even though with Indians) there has to be mutual relationship...meaning...one time they call and one time you have to take the initiative. If they have invited you once and you could not go due to whatever reason it might be, you can try and see if it works out to invite them to your house.

Secondly, I have also seen that many people do not pursue on relationships if we do not show interest/avoid/postpone meeting due to any reason. Take this positively that people respect your privacy. I would not get into understanding their point of view for my actions.

Also be prepared to have seasonal friends here. Long lasting friendships are difficult because people move from place to place. Enjoy whatever you get, forget what you dont ! Simple !

2 people like this.
  8. Einstein21

Einstein21 New IL'ite

Thank you all for replying :)
    I am also planning to invite to dinner if I couldn't attend friends potluck or birthday party.
    My H is busy on weekdays and weekends.Even though I request very often to call and keep in touch with Indian friends.He is not interested to arrange any get together in home for friends.He doesn't have a close family friend till now.for this reason I have no idea what Indian friends prefer and do not prefer in maintaining good relationship...

I am stay at home mom and need company for me and DD too.I am soooo bored sitting at home in weekends.I have to do something to bring my sanity back.

9. Einstein21

Einstein21 New IL'ite

One more thing new to me.
    Except in peadiatrician appointment scheduling in all other cases Whenever my response is "I need to ask my husband and let u know" is also not taken as a genuine reason.It is raising doubts in people minds.But I would like to discuss with my H first and then go ahead and confirm the commitment.

Ladies,Do you wait and let your friend discuss/inform with spouse first and give her final word or feel otherwise...please share....

10. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

All friendships need not be family friendships.
    If u like a lady and think she is a good company to u start meeting her for coffee/lunch at home or outside, go to malls, or watch movie together even at home etc.

if u see a kid is close to ur kid or mingling well, start inviting them to your home or make a meeting at play place like chucky-cheeze .

u don't need to search friends for ur H, as it will not work, he can call by himself if he interested in somebody.