Miscellaneous Sweets

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by Shakthi, Jun 3, 2005.

1. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Mysore pak: :tongue

Gram(besan) flour – 4 spoons
    Sugar – 8 spoons
    Ghee – 5 to 6 spoons
    Milk – 2 spoons (condensed milk or half and half may give enhanced flavour)

Fry gram flour in microwave for 45 to 50 secs.
    Mix flour and sugar and then add ghee followed my milk, mix everything and then keep in microwave for 2min 15 secs.
    Soft mysorepak ready, if u need hard mysorepak keep it for few more secs.
    Easy and quick sweet ready in 10 mns.

2. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Try this out

Besan Flour: 1 cup,
    Ghee : 2 cups,
    Sugar 3 cups

Method:
    Heat 1 cup of ghee mix the besan flour and mix it to make a fine batter. In a kadai add sugar to 1 cup of water and wait till it comes to kambi padam or a thin string consistency. Now mix the ghee besan flour batter to it and keep adding the remaining ghee to it. When the mixture does not stick to the side walls and when white bubbles form on the top remove from fire and pour it into ghee greased plate. Wait for few secs and cut into pieces. Serve when cold.

U can increase the ghee to get Krishna Sweets Mysoorepa effect.

U can also reduce the sugar qty if you dont have a too sweet tooth.

3. srilak

srilak Senior IL'ite

HI,

I like to make wheat halwa for Pongal festival. Please any north Indian give me the recipe with wheat floor but not with whole wheat. If possible give me the link for the recipe with photos.

Thank you.
    Srilak.

4. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

5. srilak

srilak Senior IL'ite

thanks

Hi Vandhana,

Thanks for the help. I am going to prpare this for Pongal festival. I would have searched for the recipe in the recipes sections before posting it. Anyway I got the link which I needed.

Thank you.
    Srilak.

6. tejudatla

tejudatla Bronze IL'ite

Dear Ladies,

I found the sweet recipe for soan papdi which is the most fav sweet for so many Indians like me.....

Here is the ingridients n Directions for that...

[​IMG]

Ingridients:

1 1/4 cup gramflour
    1 1/4 cup plain flour (maida)
    50 gms. ghee
    2 1/2 cups sugar
    1 1/2 cup water
    2 tbsp. milk
    1/2 tsp. cardamom seeds crushed coarsely
    4" squares cut from a thin polythene sheet

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Directions:[/FONT]

• Sift both flours together.
    • Heat ghee in a heavy saucepan.
    • Add flour mixture and roast on low till light golden.
    • Keep aside to cool a little, stirring occasionally.
    • Prepare syrup simultaneously. Make syrup out of sugar, water and milk as shown in introduction.
    • Bring syrup to 2 1/2 thread consistency.
    • Pour at once into the flour mixture.
    • Beat well with a large fork till the mixture forms threadlike flakes.
    • Pour onto a greased surface or thali and roll to 1" thickness lightly.
    • Sprinkle the elaichi and gently press down with palm.
    • Cool, cut into 1" squares, wrap individually into square pieces of thin plastic sheet.
    • Store in an airtight container.
    I haven't even try this recipe yet n I am just wondering if any one else already tried this recipe before or made in diff method plz give me some hints n precautions.

Thanq All...
    Teja:-D

Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  7. tejudatla

tejudatla Bronze IL'ite

Basic Sugar Syrup preparation

Basic Sugar Syrup preparation:
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Mix enough water to cover the sugar. Heat it to dissolve slowly , stirring in between. Do not allow it to boil until completely dissolved. Once the sugar is biliong, do not stir more; If any crystals are formed at the sides of the pan, wipe it with a cloth dipped in warm water. Over stirring will affect the consistency of the sugar syrup while boiling . Boil the syrup in steady temperature.[/FONT]

Sugar Syrup Consistencies:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Thin Syrup : Syrup gets a shine and the sugar is dissolved completely[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sticky Syrup: Dip your forefinger in the syrup after dipping it in cold water; When you rub thumb over fore finger it feels sticky.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Half thread consistency: String is formed when tested between thumb and forefinger ,but it will cut immediately.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]One thread consistency: Thin string is formed when tested between thumb and forefinger.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Two thread consistency: When tested between fingers, two threads are formed.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2 1/2 - 3 thread consistency: when tested between thumb and forefinger, string appears in 2 or 3 places.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Gathered consistency: When a little syrup is poured over water, it settles down below the water. It can be gathered by hand.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ball consistency: When syrup is poured over water , a smalll ball is formed when rolled with fingers, and should be hard enough.(Soft or hard depending upon the sweet)[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Crack consistency: When a little syrup is poured over water, it becomes hard (No cracks to Brittle consistency)[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Caramel consistency: Sugar syrup changes to a golden brown to a dark brown colour.[/FONT]

8. Akanksha

Akanksha New IL'ite

Re: Soan Papdi or Sohan Papdi

Hi Tej,

I tried to make that. But didn't work out.I think we have to be very expert in making papdi.

Can any one help me to make Soan Papdi???

9. Shummy

Shummy New IL'ite

Re: Soan Papdi or Sohan Papdi

This is my all time favourite super sweet.

have tried to make soan papdi at home but the problem is, it becomes so dry and flakey. After I oil up the pan and put it on top to form 1" layer for it to cool down, I don't get the long flakes or the texture like the ones from the store but all crumbs. Anybody has any solution?

Did any one else know how to make that or give us some tips to make it .
    Friends some of you might knew the method and techniques. Please let me too.:2thumbsup:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2007
  10. suna

suna New IL'ite

DOUBLE KA MEETHA

Ingredients

1. bread 8slices
    2. milk 2cups
    3. sugar 1cup
    4. cashew nuts 10 gms
    5. kismis 10gms
    6. cardamom powder pinch
    7. ghee 1spoon
    8. water 1/2cup

Procedure
    ...........................................................................................................................................
    (1)
    Take the slices of bread and roast them in the toaster. Take a pan put sugar and add 1/2 cup of water and make a single string syrup.

(2)
    Now take the slices of bread and make them into small pieces and put them into the syrup.

(3)
    Mix well and add the boiled milk to it.Fry the cashew nuts, kismis and cardomom powder and mix well.

Serve hot.

Regards,
    Ana...........