Miscellaneous Sweets

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by Shakthi, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Mano Saminathan

Mano Saminathan New IL'ite

Dear Jaya!

I have posted above a few sweet recipes for the diwali. Hope you will try them soon!

2. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

welcome Mano.........

Hello Mano,

A Very Warm Welcome To Our Site of Ladies.

Sure u’ll make a lot of friends here and hope ur initial days were entertaining too.

I did go thru ur version of Who Am I and it was nice to know about you & ur family and feel happy to have another expert (not just cookery but an expert artist) with us.

So, how was the transition from Temple City to the Land of Sun N Sand??????? Must have been quite an experience to u, especially since u moved in during a time when settling in foreign land was uncommon.

I did go thru ur first recipe, haven’t tried yet but surely will do. I just wanted to place a request for fruit recipes - eg. Recipes using fruits, fruits used to make payasams, puddings, custards, etc. - recipes using guavas, butter fruit, grapes, berries, etc. - something unusual.

Living in a different place, u would've experienced a different set of people with different food culture, and u would've learnt a lot of new recipes from the new environs. Could u pls share some of them with us - could be ur own favourite recipe. Maybe u can do that after Diwali as I see a lot of other requests for some diwali recipes. No hurry as such Mano.

Thank you so much in advance and Have a Wonderful & Sparkling Diwali at ur place...............

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2005
  3. Mano Saminathan

Mano Saminathan New IL'ite

Hello Meenaprakash!

Thank you very much for the warm welcome! My heartiest thanks for the Diwali wishes also!

Yes, I have landed here a long time ago where there was no rain, no greenery and not much Indian people. Now this became a magic land where every thing goes to the number one in the world, greenery everywhere, a swarm of Indian faces and occasional rain also! This is like being in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">India</st1:country-region></st1:place> nowadays and had given me wealth, peace of mind and happiness though no place is equal to our home country.

Yes. There are some favourite recipes from this country also! I will soon post them.

I will post some recipes of fruits within a few days!

Wish you a happy Diwali!!!

4. samayal

samayal Silver IL'ite

what is nido powder?

5. prathi

prathi Bronze IL'ite

Nido

Hello Samiyal,

NIdo powder is the name of the milk powder they get in the UAE. It is a product of NESTLE. You can use any full cream milk powder insead.

6. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

it is available in US, too.

Hi samayal,

Check in Indian stores for the brand or else, try in any american stores; they do have a wide range from low fat upto full fat milk powder w/w.o shop brand.

Rgds.

7. whatsinaname

whatsinaname New IL'ite

Experts on this board,

Please post recipes, sweets and savories, like what you can get in sweet stalls like Grand sweets or Sri Krishna Sweets. Sometimes even with a correct recipe, there are tips one would need to have the recipe come out like those from the famous sweet shops. Looking for tested recipes.

To start with, I would like the following recipes:

1) MAladdu
    2) Chadra kala
    3) Soanpapdi
    4) KarAsev
    5) Lavanga Lathika
    6) Bombay Halwa

TIA

8. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

here it goes for maladu......

green gram whole 500gms
    powdered sugar 450gms
    ghee...200to 300gms
    cashew fried and crushed.100gms
    elaichi 3 to 4...dry fried and powdered....
    now fry the green gram untill fully brown or the smell is wafting and not smoking...get it powdered from the mill...
    now mix all ingredients except ghee
    after mixing heat ghee not to smoking level but hot enough
    and pour over the mixture...u need to work fast here if u have one more person along it is good as u need to make ladus before the ghee becomes
    cold...as u put the ghee say the 150gms mix and see if required then add some more and when u take the ladu mixture and hold tight in hand it should stand and not fall off is the consistancy...if it falls u can add some more ghee otherwise start making ladus fast it will be like a littlewet sand....hurry and finish it off it should have a white coating kind of effect and not ghee soaked this does not need much ghee but only to bind ....so u need to practise on the ghee the lesser u add and make it but right enough the ladu will taste great...other wise it will harden when cool...so u need a little practise here which i am sure u can get from this tip....regards sunkan

9. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Recipe index in Ask Chitvish

Dear Whatsinaname,

Welcome to Indusladies.

If u r looking for absolutely wonderful, fail-proof recipes, pls :

Click on Forums
    In the pull-down menu, Click on Home and Kitchen
    Go to Ask Chitvish
    Click on Check here-the Recipes Index.

It is a treasure trove of delightful recipes.
    I am pasting one link on sweets from that for you here.

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=553

You can also post questions to Mrs Chithra on any sweets you want, tips u need etc.

Good luck!
    Vidya

10. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Pal Kozhukkattai [​IMG]

Ingrediants:

Rice Floor – 1 cup,
    Jaggery – 1 ¼ cup (powdered), Coconut – 1 cup(grated)
    cardamom
    cashew

Ppn:

Take coconut in mixie add little water and grind it,get coconut water from it by pressing it.you will get thick coconut milk.

Again grind the residual coconut with 2 or 3 spn water,take the 2nd coconut milk in a different vessel. Again do the same. Likewise make three coconut milk and filter if needed.

In a pan add ½ cup add water,allow it boil then add rice floor little by little.keep swirling it until u get thick paste. Off the stove. When the cooked rice floor become cool, make small small balls and keep it aside.

In a pan add the 3rd coconut milk(diluted)& allow it to boil. When it start boiling add few rice balls allow to boil for 2 mts. Add the 2nd cup coconut milk. Then again add few rice balls. Allow to boil. Likewise put all the balls then add powdered jaggery allow to boil for 2 mts. Then add the first cup thick coconut milk. Let it boil for few mts. Add cardamom powder. If needed 1 cup milk can also be added.Also cashew can be added to enhance richness in taste.