Miscellaneous leftovers - Ideas to consume

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by Priya_Mommy, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

Hello All,
    Offlate, I have rearrnaged my kitchen yesterday and found there are some leftovers(not cooked), since long time...may be 3-4 months. I checked their quality and expiry date and they have passed.
    I would like to know any kid friendly recipes with them.

1. One tin of Dexolac milk powder
    2. 1 Kg pack of Soya Chunks
    3. 1 Kg tin of Quarker Oats
    4. Kellogs Corn flakes

I tried Kellogs Corn flakes, but my kid doesn't show any interest towards them....
    Soya chunks havebeen a big Q mark to me....None of the family members like to eat (including me)....may be some snack recipe I have to try. We bought it with doctor's advice as its a high source of protein content... but haven't used it much.

Quarter oats some how, I am making them a powder and preparing Dosas with it and they are very good in taste too.

Last but not least, Dexolac milk powder which still there is a lot of time for expiry date, I just wanted to use it too.....please post any good recipe of idea to consume it and empty it!!!

Please pour in your miscellaneous ideas for these misc items.

2. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

My :my2cents

Milk powder : check krishnammas kitchen and chitvish recipe section, they have sweet recipes out of milk powder

Corn flakes : if you are a non-veg'tarian..marinate chicken with little curd,chilli powder,salt,ginger-garlic paste for few hours...dip it in cornflour_water paste and roll it in coarsely powdered corn flakes.deep fry.if you are a veggie try the same with cauliflower/paneer/baby corn

Oats: powder it well and mix along with atta/maida and knead dough for chappathis/rotis. For 1 tumbler atta i mix 1/2 tumbler of oats..some even mix equal proportions.

Hope these helps :thumbsup

3. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

We are pure vegetarians Cindhu dear!

4. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

try with babycorn then..tastes great ..instead of chilli powder coarsely paste red chillies :thumbsup

5. shubini

shubini Silver IL'ite

Soya chunks..u can add a few to ur kuruma/varuval/gravy items....it tastes good.

Instead of a preparing a wholesome soya dish try adding a few to all spicy dishes and it tastes yummy :thumbsup

All my brinjal varuval and drumstick varuval is sure to carry soya chunks together with them.

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Priyamommy,

Cornflakes.. If you make chikkies - groudnut/roasted dal and jaggery. add them (crushed) in the last instant and make it.. try a little if you people love it can consume the whole lot.

I have heard about cornflakes payasam.camouflage the corn taste with vanilla/saffron..

As per milk powder, you can make a thick cream consistency and use it instead of cream in cream based gravy.

make custard using milk powder replacing milk with the milk powder. you can also make custard halwa with the milk powder..

home made...

2 tblsp of cornflour.
    4 tblsp of rose syrup.
    1/3 cup of milk powder.
    1/4 sugar

make a 500 mil of milk from the powder using 500ml water. keep aside 50 ml. and boil the rest and add sugar. mix cornflour, and 50ml water and add to the boiling mark stirring continuously (prone to stick to the bottom.)
    add the rose syrup and stir. when it thickens.. pour into a bowl. cool it and refrigerate. serve with fruits. or serve garnished with dry fruits.

you can grow for any variations..

I serve the vanilla custard, jelly and fruits...my kids love it.

if you want a sweet out of this.. just allow it to thicken..when it solidifies, start adding a little ghee and stir..just like you do any halwa. when the ghee leaves the mixture add dry fruits and pour it into the plate. cool and cut into pieces. if you have time you can wrap each individual piece is a cling wrap and set it aside. i make this sometimes.

soya chunks..just grind it coarse in your mixie and use it as a thickening agent/ or just like that for fries and gravies..it will not make a difference until you tell somebody.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  7. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

Shanthi ma,
    Thts fabulous! Thanks for your detailed reply.
    This sure answers all my queries.

8. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Just missed it..today i made brinjal/drumstick curry :-(..anyways will try it next time..

Do you soak them or what??

9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Cindhu,

do not use soya chunks now unless required. since you get your proteins from your non-veg avoid soya. my gynaec says avoid unless it is required. i have it as i need artificial hormone support after my surgical menopause and do not give my kids.

10. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Oh is it...post-pregnancy i luckily had no chance to cook them..will sure keep this in mind.thanks mam:hiya