1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Miscellaneous Gynic Issues and Queries

Discussion in 'Gynaecology' started by Varloo, Jun 27, 2006.

1. selviik

selviik Senior IL'ite

Re: IUD insertion

Hi Kavya,

My experience with Copper IUD was very bad.Actually, the insertion part was not that painful but had trouble later like i always felt it being there whenever i use the restroom and my periods became very worse lasting upto 6 days and heavy from being normal.Believe me b4 this insertion my periods was very normal and peaceful but then came the worse part.After 3 months of heavy periods and muscle crampness exactly on my 4th month i felt like the flow was even more than the last 3 months and so checked into emergency and found that my Uterus has expelled it out and it was lying in the vagina pricking me.Dr. took it out and said that if this is the case another IUD insertion will not work for me.They checked my blood count and found that the 4 months heavy flow has left me lightly anemic.Then i was put on Iron tablets for 3 months.One of my SIL also had the same experience and so have to take off the IUD within few months.

But i know somebody in my family line for whom its working even after several years without any complications.

Hope i have answered few of your questions.

2. meghu

meghu New IL'ite

i ma on copper iud and it does not hurt (just like an internal exam) and yes the periods will be for 3 or 4 days and bleeding will be more and for me i never had any crams and high chaces of urianl infection

3. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Kavya,

Isnt it better to use condoms, than such things?? I would suggest not to try something and later regret :(

Just my 2 cents :) Hope you take it in the right sense.

4. kavya007

kavya007 Gold IL'ite

Hi Nandshyam,

Condoms are just a wee bit inconvenient and it kills the spontaneity. My mom told me that after delivery she used IUD for a very long time and she was very happy with it. So I am just thinking about IUD.

Thanks,
    Kavya.

5. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

I hear ya :) Its just that reading all the stories here and heard so far.. was:shaking::shaking:

6. Sumathy

Sumathy Senior IL'ite

Hi Kavya,

I used one for about 4 years and did not have any problem. It was a bit inconvenient inserting and removing but you have the option of requesting for some anaesthesia during the procedure.

It is true that some people do have some side effects like increased bleeding, cramps, etc but unfortunately there is no way to know about your predisposition to this. In my case, my mom had the IUD for many years it and was peaceful and so, I took a chance.

I feel it is one of the safest method available without any inconvenience.

1) How is the quality of sexual life after IUD insertion? - No change
    2) Is the IUD insertion procedure very painful? - Little bit; also removal
    3) I have heard that a common side effect is heavy periods and lot of cramping during the periods. How common is this side effect? - It is NOT Common; it is a possible side effect
    4) Are there any other risks associated with IUD insertion? - it is more than 99% safe. The risk is tubular pregnany - ask you gynic
    5) Did you get any mood swings after IUD insertion? - NOT AT ALL; this is not harmonal so it is not possible at all. This is a device which gives physical barrier and effect pH change. Nothing harmonal.

All the best,

Regards,

Sumathy

Cheers,

Sumathy

7. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

What do you think about Mirena (IUD)-I am planning to get this done in two weeks time.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
  8. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hey Sunitha,
    That's what I tried, but it was very painful and never got it inserted.

Good luck.

9. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Hi Sunitha

Go ahead. Lots of my friends are using this and they say it is hassle free.
    Best of Luck

10. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

I specifically want to know about weight gain with Mirena,since I have heard that many people put on weight when they have this inserted.Is it better to have a normal IUD like Copper T instead of Mirena which releases hormones?