Miscellaneous General Topics

Discussion in 'Religious places & Spiritual people' started by srinivasan_vanaja, Mar 21, 2007.

1. srinivasan_vanaja

srinivasan_vanaja Gold IL'ite

Re: What happened to Agaligai later in Ramayana!!!

Dear Srirangani,

Vanaja not Vidya.

The above quote was the reason for the second time of curse.

2. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

Hinduism A Saagharam

Om Namah Sivaya

[​IMG]

A Revealed Religion

Hinduism is the religion of the Hindus, a name given to the Universal Religion which hailed supreme in India. It is the oldest of all living religions. This is not founded by any prophet. Buddhism, Christianity and Mohammedanism owe their origin to the prophets. Their dates are fixed. But no such date can be fixed for Hinduism. Hinduism is not born of the teachings of particular prophets. It is not based on a set of dogmas preached by a particular set of teachers. It is free from religious fanaticism.

Hinduism is also known by the names Sanatana-Dharma and Vaidika-Dharma. Sanatana-Dharma means eternal religion. Hinduism is as old as the world itself. Hinduism is the mother of all religions. Hindu scriptures are the oldest in the world, Sanatana-Dharma is so called, not only because it is eternal, but also because it is protected by God and because it can make us eternal.

Vaidika-Dharma means the religion of the Vedas. The Vedas are the foundational scriptures of Hinduism. The ancient Rishis and sages of India have expressed their intuitive spiritual experiences (Aparoksha-Anubhuti ) in the Upanishads. These experiences are direct and infallible. Hinduism regards the spiritual experiences of the Rishis of yore as its authority. The priceless truths that have been discovered by the Hindu Rishis and sages through millennia constitute the glory of Hinduism. Therefore, Hinduism is a revealed religion.

A Religion Of Freedom

Hinduism, unlike other religions, does not dogmatically assert that the final emancipation is possible only through its means and not through any other. It is only a means to an end and all means which will ultimately lead to the end are equally approved.

Hinduism allows absolute freedom to the rational mind of man. Hinduism never demands any undue restraint upon the freedom of human reason, the freedom of thought, feeling and will of man. It allows the widest freedom in matters of faith and worship. Hinduism is a religion of freedom. It allows absolute freedom to the human reason and heart with regard to questions such as nature of God, soul, creation, form of worship and the goal of life.

Hinduism does not lie in the acceptance of any particular doctrine, nor in the observance of some particular rituals or form of worship. It does not force anybody to accept particular dogmas or forms of worship. It allows everybody to reflect, investigate, enquire and cogitate. Hence, all sorts of religious faiths, various forms of worship or Sadhana, and diverse kinds of rituals and customs, have found their honourable places side by side within Hinduism and are cultured and developed in harmonious relationship with one another.

Hinduism does not condemn those who deny God as the creator and ruler of the world, who do not accept the existence of an eternal soul and the state of Moksha or state of liberation. Hinduism does not render the upholders of such views unfit to be recognised as pious and honourable members of the Hindu religious society.

The religious hospitality of Hinduism is proverbial. Hinduism is extremely catholic and liberal. This is the fundamental feature of Hinduism. Hinduism pays respects to all religions. It does not revile any other religion. It accepts and honours truth—wherever it may come from and whatever garb it may put on.

There are considerable numbers of the followers of other religions in India. And yet, the Hindus live in perfect harmony, peace and friendship with all of them. Their tolerance and fellow-feeling towards the followers of other religions is remarkable.

Despite all the differences of metaphysical doctrines, modes of religious discipline and forms of ritualistic practices and social habits prevalent in the Hindu society, there is an essential uniformity in the conception of religion and in the outlook on life and the world, among all sections of Hindus.

----Sri Swami Sivananda

3. Prb

Prb New IL'ite

Impact of Spiritualism on daily life!

Hello ladies:

I was looking for a thread and I'm not sure if I overlooked it. How does one's effort to control mind and senses reflect on their behaviour in daily life. I am sure there are many different aspects- these are my ideas to start with.

Starting to look at a problem from other person's shoes. Once we start to work on controlling our mind and senses, when there is a problem our mind sub-consciously tries to look at the situation from the other person's perspective. Once we analyse a situation from the other persons shoes, the possibility of an altercation is reduced. We do not try to impose our idea on the other person. We start to feel that we may not be always correct.

Helps reduce unwarranted comments/ ideas: My sister was recently telling me how she thinks a few times before she says something- it could be a simple think like how the other person has gained weight. Once you keep asking yourself if it's important to pass a comment, eventually we decide, it is unnecessary to do so. She said how this has helped her enhance her inner harmony and with the people around.

I'm keen to practise this- I find myself saying things which are unwarranted many times.

Ladies, please discuss your ideas. Let's try and help each other create a better place for ourselves and people around.

Prb.

4. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Re: Impact of Spiritualism on daily life!

Prb
    Very interesting thread... I would recommend reading the book New Earth by Tolle. He addresses these issues quite well.
    My opinion is this is a very heavy topic and cannot be addressed in just one post.. it would help to break down into smaller topics to enable ongoing discussion!

5. twinuma

twinuma New IL'ite

Dear mam

Firstly thanx for the post for making me know the intricacies. If Agalya is a character who has been cursed multiple times why is she placed in the "pathivratha's list which includes Draupathi, Tharaa etc..

How is Draupathi justified as Pathivratha.. Can you please enlighten us on this issue..

rgds
    Uma

6. Prb

Prb New IL'ite

Re: Impact of Spiritualism on daily life!

Hi Anandchitra:

I have been trying to get a copy of the book and it's been reserved for weeks at the library. I hope to get a copy this weekend.

I know this is a heavy topic and I am not qualified enough to structure the ideas too well. I am keen to learn from others experiences and put constructive ideas into practise.

What are your ideas?

Prb.

7. rya

rya Silver IL'ite

what is spiritualism?

hello ladies,
    Can u tell me what is spiritualism? because people have different definitions and opinions about spiritualism(i too have a definition) and i heard there are so many politics going on between people like for example,one of my hubby's friends was making fun out of this word..though i didn't like that,i just want to know the exact definition of spiritualism..somebody told my hubby's friend that he is spiritualistic and caught up with my hubby's friend with so many questions..how we can achieve the spiritualistic feeling? I am pretty interested in this topic..Can anybody clarify it? Though the opinions and responses are different,please clarify with definition so that i can understand something out of it..different responses are welcome..there is no need that the responses are same..
    Thanks in advance
    Ramya

8. hema_gladston

hema_gladston Bronze IL'ite

Re: what is spiritualism?

Dear Ramya

One's personal relationship with God is Spritualism.

Hema

9. geethasn

geethasn New IL'ite

Gita Saar in Devanagari script - ASAP

hello .. can someone please help me in translating the gita saar to sanskrit, I'm looking for the actual devanagari script of a portion of the gita saar. The part of the gita saar that I am trying to translate to devanagari is,

Whatever happened, happened for the good
    whatever is happening, is happening for the good
    whatever will happen, will also happen for the good only

I hope i have gotten that correctly because i have noticed the 'good' replaced by 'well' in certain versions of the english translation. If you can give me the sanskrit verse in english that will be enough as i can convert that to the actual script.

Thank You.

10. dallascw

dallascw Senior IL'ite

Dhristi

What are the various ways in doing Dhristi and why do we do them differently ? Do certain situations require a particular type of Dhristi ? I have seen my mom do the simple oppu molllagai ( salt, chillies) and one with 7 thiris ( 7 threads lit in a lamp). My ayya used to do it with a lemon and also with camphor. What direction do we suthify and do we have to chant anything while doing Dhristhi ?