Miscellaneous General Topics

Discussion in 'Religious places & Spiritual people' started by srinivasan_vanaja, Mar 21, 2007.

1. srinivasan_vanaja

srinivasan_vanaja Gold IL'ite

Re: About Hanuman carrying Sanjeevi Mountain!

Dear Vidya, Sathya, Vivbass

Thank you very much for your appreciation and sharing of thoughts.

regards,

Vanaja

2. srinivasan_vanaja

Dear ILites,

You must all be aware of the fact that Kambar staged his Ramaavatharam in Srirangam Temple. That particular area of the temple is still know as Kambar Mandapam.

Everyday Kambar would recite his poems on Ramavaatharam and not even a single day went without the king's and the other learned poets appreciations and applause for his talent.

During a period of time, where the poems on Rama's separation from Sita were being staged, one day, Kambar told the listeners that he would recite the Vibishana's advise to Ravana the next day.

The poets present felt that when a sad part of Ramayanam is being observed, the poems on advise of Vibishana to Ravana is not necessary and came to a conclusion. They decided that the next day nobody should raise a single clap or a single word of appreciation in the hall. Even if one word of appreciation is heard by Kambar, he would happily keep this advise session in his Ramaavatharam which they felt unnecessary.

The next day Kambar started reciting his poems. Everybody kept quite. Kambar went on reciting. He kept a line as Vibishana's advise to Ravana saying, "Oh brother! You know our ancestor Hiranyakasipu who is more talented, more brave and intelligent than you. He acquired the boon of being deathless - that he would not die inside or outside, in the land or water, by animals, humans, by the weapons of anybody and not even by the weapons of Trimurthis. But was he not killed by the Lord, taking Narasimhaavathar who is partly an animal and partly a human, keeping him on His lap (which is neither land nor water, up or down) at the doorstep (which is neither outside nor inside), using His nails as weapons. But you brother, left out humans from your list. Remember Rama is a human. Atleast now leave Sita and save yourself."

When Kambar recited this as a beautiful poem, a single word of appreciation, Aaha! came from the crowd as a single voice. Everybody was wondering who would have uttered that word when a firm decision was taken the day before. But Kambar proceeded with his poems and for each and every poem the Aaha! did not stop.

And at the end of recitation it was found that the sound came from the pillar in that Mandapam. When Kambar mentioned Narasimhaavatharam in his poem, the Lord Narasimha Himself gave His word of appreciation and with His divine blessings these poems on Vibishana's advise was included in Kambar's Ramaavatharam.

regards,

Vanaja

3. mohana

mohana Silver IL'ite

very interesting post,please share more and more.

4. srinivasan_vanaja

Dear Mohana,

Thank you very much for your words. Please go through my other threads on Ramayanam under "Good to Read".

regards,

Vanaja

5. Dewdrop

Dewdrop Gold IL'ite

Re: What happened to Agaligai later in Ramayana!!!

A Very Nice thread Vanaja ! :clap
    One question I have -- how did Lord Rama die ? Did Lakshman , Bharat , Shatrugan have any children ?

I would like to share some trivia about the ' Vaali Vadham' chapter, which till date is subject of many debates / lectures / controversies . I came to know recently, that Vali was a great devotee of Rama and literally idealised him for his character & honourable qualities. But since Rama hid behind a tree and didn't fight face-to-face [ 'cos Vali had got a boon that whoever he faces in battle, half their strength would come to him ] like a real warrior, Vali was disillusioned . In his last moments, he asked Rama -- 'Why ? ' for which Rama replied, 'cos you took over Sugriva's wife after banishing him from the kingdom. Vali says, I fought him in a proper duel , in the right manner ; plus we are vaanara clan, (monkeys) not humans & in our tribe a single male leader takes care / responsibility for any wounded, hurt , old, weak monkeys and that is what I did with Sugriva's wife, just gave her shelter, protection.
    Then he utters that Rama, will not be forgiven for this deed [ of hiding & killing Vaali] and that he would avenge it in his next birth.

In the Lord's next avatar of Krishna, when He is resting beneath a tree, while the Yadava clan is fighting amongst themselves, an arrow hits his foot. There is a marking of the eye of a doe, in his feet and the hunter mistakenly assumes it to be a real deer -- and Lord Krishna breathes his last. The hunter is none other than Vaali reborn !!

6. Dewdrop

Dewdrop Gold IL'ite

Who is the only character from Ramayana to appear in the Mahabharatha too ? ........
    Yes, it is Hanuman- the Chiranjeevi, and most of us already know that. But what I too didn't know earlier was that Hanuman appears not once but 3 times in the Mahabharat . The first instance was when he leaves his tail in the Pandava's path , in the forest & asks the proud Bhima to move it -- thereby teaching him a lesson.

The 2nd. time was when Arjuna was [in Rameshwaram] looking at the bridge Rama constructed to cross over to Lanka and commented why he had to struggle & take help of others & build with stones when easily he could have built a bridge of arrows. The small monkey who was sitting by the road, listening told him to build one right then, which would at least carry the weight of Arjuna , as there was no army's weight for the bridge to support. Arjuna immediately started shooting arrows & built a bridge but the minute he started to walk across, the monkey used to break it down !! This happened repeatedly & the arrogant Arjuna was pushed to frustration & even contemplated ending his life rather than being proved less stronger than a mere monkey !! Then Hanuman showed his true form & that was in order to make Arjuna more humble.

Hanuman then promised that he would make Arjuna's chariot the strongest & indestructable in the battlefield-- that's when he appears [for the 3rd. time] in Arjuna's flag and thereby the third person to listen to the Sacred Bhagwad Gita [as Sanjaya had divine vision & could see/hear what was going on even while seated in the court of Dhridarashtra] .

Friends, please keep sharing more info. and stories .
    With love,
    Dew.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2007
  7. srinivasan_vanaja

Dear Dew,

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts. There are many incidents in Ramayana (Rama+Ayanam), Ayanam means path. Definitely no doubt it is serving as a pathway for even today's world.

Let us all think together and share our thoughts on Ramayana which gives us peace of mind, nobility and good words, actions and deeds.

regards,

Vanaja

8. srinivasan_vanaja

Re: What happened to Agaligai later in Ramayana!!!

Dear Dew,

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts. I do not know about the death of Lord Rama or the descendants of Lakshmana, Baratha and Satrugana. If I come across, I shall definitely post a thread.

regards,

Vanaja

9. mvm

mvm New IL'ite

pt.ashok

Hi
    Does any body knows the phone no. of astrologer Pt. AshokVasudev. He come on sahara tv ncr every morning. Pls give me the no. if any one knows.

Thx alot

Last edited: Sep 8, 2007
  10. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

Questions About Mahabali The King

[FONT=&quot]QUES ANS MAHABALI
    REF: [/FONT]<st1:place>[FONT=&quot]BALI[/FONT]</st1:place>[FONT=&quot] -Author - 'Kaipu' Lakshminarasimha Sastry INTERNET SITE
    FREEINDIA.ORG[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Q1 Who were the parents of Mahabali?[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]A1 Virochana & Devamba. Prahlada became the king over the earthly
    kingdom. He 'had a son, Virochana. Devamba was the wife of Virochana.
    [/FONT]<st1:place>[FONT=&quot]Bali[/FONT]</st1:place>[FONT=&quot] was the son of Virochana and Devamba.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Q2 Everybody talk about Mahabali. Had he married? If so who was his
    wife?Who was his chief acharya?[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]A2 He married Vindhyavali, the daughter of a saint [/FONT]<st1:place>[FONT=&quot]Bali[/FONT]</st1:place>[FONT=&quot] appointed
    scholars and wisemen as officers to assist him in the administration.
    shukracharya, the renowned wise ascetic, was appointed as the chief
    priest and adviser to the king.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Q3 Every body know the Vamana appeared in the 100th Aswamedha yaga
    story. Did he performed only that sacrifice alone?[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]A3 NO Mahabali became the head of the world. At that time Shukracharya
    smiled and said: "O king of the Danavas, this wealth belongs to the
    subjects. Perform the 'Vishwajit' sacrifice in such a way that the
    wealth is properly distributed among the subjects. Then I shall ask
    for two gifts from you." None of the Daitya kings had performed this
    kind of Vishwajit sacrifice so far[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Q4 Do Indra king of Devalokam was happy at the glory of Mahabali?
    What did he do?[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]A4 NO . Indra, lord of heaven, heard of [/FONT]<st1:place>[FONT=&quot]Bali[/FONT]</st1:place>[FONT=&quot]'s fame on earth, and the
    fire of jealousy was kindled in his heart. He called the Devas and
    addressed them thus: "if we allow [/FONT]<st1:place>[FONT=&quot]Bali[/FONT]</st1:place>[FONT=&quot] to grow from strength to
    strength, he will endanger the supremacy of the Devas in Heaven. Only
    when injustice and unrighteousness are encouraged in his empire, will
    it be possible to subdue him. To incite his subjects to become unjust
    and unrighteous, let us send Kalipurusha. We should see that there are
    no rains and no crops so that the subjects will rise in revolt against
    [/FONT]<st1:place>[FONT=&quot]Bali[/FONT]</st1:place>[FONT=&quot]." Accordingly Kalipurusha was sent to the earth in order to
    create disorder and turmoil.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Q5 Do Mahabali himself was induced to defeat Devas?[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]A5 NO . His ministers and generals as well as Danavas urged united,
    Indra cannot hope to match your valor and strength. We must defeat the
    Devas and annex their kingdom of heaven to our empire. Brahma has
    granted you immortality and lordship. This is the time to get the full
    benefit of the boons you have secured from Brahma."[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Q6 Did Mahabali conquered heaven?[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]A6 Yes. At an auspicious moment decided by Shukracharya, the Danava
    army got ready to invade heaven the war trumpets and drums frightened
    Amaravati, Capital of Heaven. Indra met his foes boldly riding his
    white elephant Airavata, marching at the head of the united Deva army
    after establishing victory over Heaven, the Danavas installed [/FONT]<st1:place>[FONT=&quot]Bali[/FONT]</st1:place>[FONT=&quot] on
    the heavenly throne as Daityendra and celebrated the occasion as a
    coronation.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Q7 Did Bali stayed as king of heaven?[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]A7 NO NO Bali appointed his own men in place of the guardian angels
    of the eight directions, the Sun, the Moon and other positions to
    represent him in heaven, and returned to his capital on the earth[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Q8 Who directed [/FONT]<st1:place>[FONT=&quot]Bali[/FONT]</st1:place>[FONT=&quot] to conduct 100 Aswamedha yagas? What was the reason?[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]A8.The next day Shukracharya said to [/FONT]<st1:place>[FONT=&quot]Bali[/FONT]</st1:place>[FONT=&quot] : "O king of the Danavas, the
    Heaven also is yours now because of your twin virtues of charity and
    valor. Since the Under-world is also under your sway, the three
    worlds, the Earth, the Under-world and the Heaven are yours
    You have taken away their powers who enjoyed the power to rule over
    all these worlds which the Creator Brahma and Vishnu the Protector had
    given them. They may not take it lying low. They are sure to take
    revenge. If you desire to retain this overlordship of the three worlds
    permanently you should perform one hundred 'Ashwamedhas' (horse
    sacrifices). Get ready to perform them from today."[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Q9 Where was the Aswamedha yaga conducted?[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]A9 Bhrugukachha situated to the north of [/FONT]<st1:place>[FONT=&quot]Narmada[/FONT]</st1:place>[FONT=&quot] was selected as the
    site for the performance of the sacrifices. [/FONT]<st1:place>[FONT=&quot]Bali[/FONT]</st1:place>[FONT=&quot] took the vow of
    sacrifice along with his queen Vindhyavali.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Q10 Everybody knows Indra was the son of Aditi and Kasyhapa. How he
    became the brother of Vamana?[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]A10 Indra went to his mother Aditi He told her their condition of
    lost Devalokam on conquer by [/FONT]<st1:place>[FONT=&quot]Bali[/FONT]</st1:place>[FONT=&quot]. Aditi took pity on her children.
    Kashyapa, the father of the Devas, was also moved by their condition
    of lost Devalokam . All of them together came to Brahma on .
    Brahma said : "Devas, worship Vishnu. Let Kashyapa and Aditi also
    worship Vishnu and please Vishnu by their tapas and pray to Vishnu
    that he is born as their son. Only Vishnu can vanquish [/FONT]<st1:place>[FONT=&quot]Bali[/FONT]</st1:place>[FONT=&quot] and bless
    you." Kashyapa and Aditi went to perform tapas to please Vishnu.
    I shall take my birth as Vamana and your son." This comforted Aditi[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Q11 What was the difference between the 99 horse sacrifices and the
    100th Conducted by Mahabali?[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]A11 Years had rolled after [/FONT]<st1:place>[FONT=&quot]Bali[/FONT]</st1:place>[FONT=&quot] started performing the 'Ashwamedha'
    horse sacrifices. Ninety-nine sacrifices had been successfully
    completed one after another. They were preparing for the hundredth
    sacrifice, which they had planned on a grand scale[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Q12 Is there any incident [/FONT]<st1:place>[FONT=&quot]Bali[/FONT]</st1:place>[FONT=&quot] became vilolent and angry?[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]A12 Yes . When calamities were occurring during the Aswamedha yaga
    Prahlada who was a devotee of Vishnu was capable of seeing into the
    past and future with his divine wisdom. He entered into a deep trance
    and understood the cause of it.
    He said to [/FONT]<st1:place>[FONT=&quot]Bali[/FONT]</st1:place>[FONT=&quot] : "Vishnu has taken birth in the world in order to
    defeat and humble the insolent Danavas who are drunk with power. These
    calamities betoken greater calamities awaiting the Danavas."
    Hearing these words, [/FONT]<st1:place>[FONT=&quot]Bali[/FONT]</st1:place>[FONT=&quot] became angry. With blood-shot eyes he turned
    to Prahlada and said, "Are we to be afraid of the Devas? Each warrior
    among us is capable of carrying the whole earth on his shoulders. When
    that is our strength, what can one Vishnu do to us?".[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Q13 Did the head priest Sukracharya cautioned [/FONT]<st1:place>[FONT=&quot]Bali[/FONT]</st1:place>[FONT=&quot] about the
    possibility of Vishnu appearing during the yaga?Did Bali agreed to his
    advice?[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]A13 Yes. Shukracharya was officiating as the head-priest at the
    hundredth horse sacrifice. The saints, gandharvas and the subjects
    from the three worlds had come in large numbers to witness the
    sacrifice Shukracharya said, "Listen, this is my advice. If Vishnu
    comes and asks for any gift, deny it cleverly. Plead your inability to
    give anything to the Almighty and All-powerful and send him away."
    [/FONT]<st1:place>[FONT=&quot]Bali[/FONT]</st1:place>[FONT=&quot] did not agreed to Sukracharya. He said"You know that I have vowed
    to give charity. The merit earned by giving charity alone has reduced
    sorrow, poverty and disease and therefore people are happy in my
    kingdom. Before my time, did not the great emperors Dadheechi and
    Shibi give away even their bodies in charity?[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Q14 How was vamana appearing? What was the age he looke like?[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]A14 Vamana like a little boy of about eight years was making his way
    towards them. His face was shining with a smile. He held an umbrella
    over his head. A plait of hair was hanging at the back of his head. He
    wore the sacred thread on his bare body the lower part of which was
    covered with cloth made of fiber. His hands held the staff of an
    ascetic and a water jug. There was deerskin under his armpit. He wore
    the mark of sandal wood paste on his forehead. It looked as though he
    had combined all branches of knowledge in his young body. He said "O
    King Bali, let auspicious things happen to you."[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Q15 Recently in a TV show it was asked jovially- Why Mahabali came
    alone to the earth? Why he do not bring his wife and children? My
    question- Had Mahabali any children?[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]A15 Yes His son was called Bana. [/FONT]<st1:place>[FONT=&quot]Bali[/FONT]</st1:place>[FONT=&quot], his queen Vindhyavali, their
    son Bana and the rest were struck with wonder and went on admiring his
    stature for a time.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Q16 Every body knew Vamana asked gift of three feet earth. For what
    purpose he asked it?[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]A16 For Gurudhakshina to his Guru Bharadwaja. The young ascetic said
    "0 king of Danavas I came here to ask you for a gift only because I
    know you will give all I ask, as you are the lord of the three worlds.
    I am the son of Kashyapa and my name is Vamana murthy. I am a bachelor
    and so I do not need either kingdom or wealth. I have been just
    initiated into the knowledge of Brahman and started wearing the sacred
    thread. I am yet to give my gurudakshina to my preceptor. My preceptor
    Bharadwaja needs a few paces of land to perform the religious rites of
    'Agnihotra'. Therefore I ask you to give me only three paces of land
    to be measured by my feet. That will satisfy me."[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Q17 Who poured water for the dana into [/FONT]<st1:place>[FONT=&quot]Bali[/FONT]</st1:place>[FONT=&quot]'s hands?[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]A17 Vamana stretched his hands under the hand of [/FONT]<st1:place>[FONT=&quot]Bali[/FONT]</st1:place>[FONT=&quot]. [/FONT]<st1:place>[FONT=&quot]Bali[/FONT]</st1:place>[FONT=&quot] placed his
    hand with tulasi leaves upon Vamana's hands, while Vindhyavali [/FONT]<st1:State><st1:place>[FONT=&quot]wis[/FONT]</st1:place></st1:State>[FONT=&quot]
    wife poured water from the golden jug as the priests chanted verses
    symbolic of the act of giving.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Q18 Do there was any attempt to attack on vamana?[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]A18 Yes. Vamana measured the sky and earth in two feets. Then Danavas
    who witnessed this could not be silent spectators. They had aspired to
    occupy the other worlds and rule them under the overlordship of [/FONT]<st1:place>[FONT=&quot]Bali[/FONT]</st1:place>[FONT=&quot].
    They became mad with anger. With uplifted weapons they came to attack
    Vamana.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Q19 What were the justified questions put by Bana to vamana moorthy.
    Do you appreciate and justify Bana of his questions?[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]A19 Bana became unhappy seeing his father's condition. He addressed
    Vamanamurthy and said : "Lord of the World, my father gave you what
    you asked in charity. He has not offended you in any way. You asked
    for three paces of land in the guise of a short ascetic. Is it fair
    for you to measure the land with your extra- ordinary feet now?
    My father has given away the whole of his empire to you. What is left
    with him now to give you further? You who should have been impartial,
    have taken sides with the Devas and have done injustice to us."[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Q20 What was the reply by Vamana mooorthy to Bana?[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]A20 Vamana replied: "Banasura, it is I who received the gift and I
    have measured the land only with my feet and not with any one else's.
    Hear my argument against your charge of my partiality to Devas.
    I gave Shaker, the husband of Shachidevi, the status and power of
    Indra and arranged for proper functioning of the system of worlds.
    [/FONT]<st1:place>[FONT=&quot]Bali[/FONT]</st1:place>[FONT=&quot] had to be punished for removing Indra from his position before
    the expiry of his tenure."[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Q21 What were the two boons given by Vamanamoorthy to [/FONT]<st1:place>[FONT=&quot]Bali[/FONT]</st1:place>[FONT=&quot]?[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]A21 You did not feel sorry even though your kith and kin deserted you.
    Though your preceptor Shukracharya cursed you, you did not give up
    your truthfulness. . Be immortal! Now ask me for any boon that you
    want."
    Vamana addressed [/FONT]<st1:place>[FONT=&quot]Bali[/FONT]</st1:place>[FONT=&quot] in the presence of all and said, "Dana vendra, I
    give you the [/FONT]<st1:place><st1:placeType>[FONT=&quot]Kingdom[/FONT]</st1:placeType>[FONT=&quot] of [/FONT]<st1:placeName>[FONT=&quot]Sutal[/FONT]</st1:placeName></st1:place>[FONT=&quot] immortal! In the underworld. I shall give you one
    more boon. I shall protect your fort as Janardana and keep watch over
    your fort and defeat your enemies. You may ask one more boon."
    Though I go to Sutala in the under -world, I cannot forget the
    subjects of my erstwhile kingdom on earth. Therefore let me be blessed
    to see the happiness of my subjects at least once a year.
    "Vamana granted his request and said: "The auspicious day on which you
    gave me charity will be celebrated as a festival on earth every year
    in future. On that day the whole earth will be the [/FONT]<st1:place><st1:placeType>[FONT=&quot]kingdom[/FONT]</st1:placeType>[FONT=&quot] of [/FONT]<st1:placeName>[FONT=&quot]Bali[/FONT]</st1:placeName></st1:place>[FONT=&quot].
    People will worship you during day and light lamps at night as a
    symbol of their ideals and joy."[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Q22 What is the festival celebrated recognising the day [/FONT]<st1:place>[FONT=&quot]Bali[/FONT]</st1:place>[FONT=&quot] showed
    the charity? What is Balipadyamai?[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]A22 It is Karthika- celebrated as The day on which [/FONT]<st1:place>[FONT=&quot]Bali[/FONT]</st1:place>[FONT=&quot] gave charity
    to Vamanamurthy fell on the first day of the bright fortnight of
    Kartika, the month during which the Festival of Lights is celebrated.
    The next day after the Festival of Lights, celebrated on the New Moon
    day in the month of Ashwayuja,is called Balipadyami'[/FONT]