1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mirror! Mirror! Tell Me The Truth!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by HariLakhera, Jun 14, 2020.

1. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Mirror! Mirror! Tell me the truth!

"Aayeena dekh kar tasalli hui
    Hamko is ghar me Jaanta hai koi "
    Gulzar

(Rough translation - looking into the mirror revealed to me that someone recognizes me in this home)

It may be your real home or a virtual home but home is a home. Every home has a mirror. Some homes have mirrors. Some homes have personal mirror. Some homes have customized mirror. But sometimes one may still feel like a stranger in his own home in spite of all these mirrors. Then I look into the mirror nearest to me. It's the mirror that gives some sign of recognition. It's reassuring that all is well. It's one of the most valuable companions in the home. Thankfully it recognized me. What a relief!

But the mirror never reveals the truth, anyway. It provides only a reflection of the body, not even the actual but decorated body in a very artificial way. Its job is to show you what you want to see, give you an identity. You only have to take care of your body; the mirror will give a reflection. If you have dirt on your face, cleaning the mirror will not help.

And then, there comes a point in life, the mirror does not supply any useful information about the body. All it tells is - you are the same today as you were yesterday or rather, worse. It gives no suggestions, no hopes. It loses its worth. You want to change the mirror and actually do it but the result is the same.

We need a very different mirror to tell us the truth. It comes with your body when you were born, guaranteed for life. Give it any other name you like- soul, conscience, heart, inner self. This mirror inside never speaks a lie. The problem is we need inner eyes to see our own reflection in our own mirror. This is very unique mirror- personalized and customized to the minutest details. This mirror resides in your body, the only house it recognizes. It lives with you to last till you last. It keeps on giving very useful information.

And trust me. You do not need a guru or God. You don't even need to know how to read and write. You have to be just honest to yourself.

Being honest to you can be real risky. But then the mirror in me said, worry not my friend, I am with you.

Viswamitra and shyamala1234 like this.

2. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Hariji,
    Very true.
    Normal mirror shows only physical appearance. But inner mirror.....shows even the minutest feeling of our mind. Guides and tells us what to do and what not to do. But do we listen to it always? No!!!! We ask it to "Shut up" many times and try and argue with it that we are doing the right thing! So, what is to be done to obey our inner mirror's guidance? There the whole difficulty lies. Then our value system nurtured by our parents and family comes to rescue....atleast to some extent. If everyone follows the inner mirror world would have been a better place....peace everywhere.
    Syamala

3. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Hariji
    This reminds me of the Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. We are all happy that mirror shows only our outer image and that too not truthfully. My right eye is the left one there. This left right interchange suits most of us. But if the mirror starts projecting our inner image, nobody will dare looking at it.
    Sri

4. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:@HariLakhera
    Your this wonderful post on inner mirror vs other mirrors, reminds me of saying of mahathma
    Whenever you are in two minds listen to heart what it says and follow it not that of head which is head strong.

2. External mirrors are for one’s cosmetics enhancement but the internal one supposed to possess “Truth” is blocked by layers of Maya which remains impenetrable.

Thanks and Regards.

5. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

You don't need any mirror to reflect your real self.Your inner voice, which is very low in volume always reveals.Only thing,you have to be alert.
    jayasala 42

Mistt and Thyagarajan like this.
  6. HariLakhera

Syamalaji,
    Thanks. The conflict between mind and inner self is natural because mind thinks in the terms of self interest only. The moment it is asked to think otherwise, it revolts. However, as I have experienced, it keeps on repenting too for any thing done wrong. And there is when the inner self wins.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. HariLakhera

Dear Shri Cheeniya,
    Very true.
    Thankfully, the mirror we are talking about was invented or should i say copied by us from the reflection in the water.Humans have no capacity or even intention to invent such mirror that will should show the inner self. The inner mirror reflects our intrinsic value as humans with honesty and truthfulness.

Thyagarajan and Cheeniya like this.
  8. HariLakhera

Dear Shri Thyagarajan,
    That's the Indo- Pak (once we were one country)conflict between mind and heart, residing in the same body. And then we want to see the best image of ourself too.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. HariLakhera

Yes, Ma'am,
    We have to be constantly on alert. The enemy may strike anytime.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  10. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Hari Sir,

If you assume everything outside our body, mind, and intellect ("BMI") as things outside and everything inside the BMI as things inside, then, we need to apply Truth inside BMI like applying mercury in the glass to make it into a mirror. Then we begin to understand the whole world we see is a mere reflection of what we think it is. For understanding the ultimate reality, one needs to know what is the apparent reality that manifests to us. What we call as transfiguration is nothing but discrimination of unreal from real.

Asatho ma Sadgamaya
    Tamasoma Jyotirgamaya
    Mrtyorma Amrithamgamaya.

From the unreal lead me to real
    From darkness lead me to light
    From death lead me into immortality

Truth transcends one that is manifested.

Viswa

kaluputti likes this.