1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mirror! Mirror! Tell Me The Truth!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by HariLakhera, Oct 28, 2017.

1. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Mirror! Mirror! Tell me the truth!

"Aayeena dekh kar tasalli hui
    Hamko is ghar me Jaanta hai koi "
    Gulzar

(Rough translation - looking into the mirror revealed to me that someone recognizes me in this home)
    It may be your real home or a virtual home but home is a home. Every home has a mirror. Some homes have mirrors. Some homes have personal mirror. Some homes have customized mirror. But sometimes one may still feel like a stranger in his own home in spite of all these mirrors. It happened just a few days ago. Then I looked into the mirror nearest to me. It's the mirror that gives some sign of recognition. It's reassuring that all is well. It's one of the most valuable companion in the home. Thankfully it recognized me. What a relief!

But the mirror never reveals the truth, anyway. It provides only a reflection of the body, not even the actual but decorated body in a very artificial way. It's job is to show you what you want to see, give you an identity. You only have to take care of your body, the mirror will give a reflection. If you have dirt on your face, cleaning the mirror will not help.

And then, there comes a point in life, the mirror does not supply any useful information about the body. All it tells is - you are the same today as you were yesterday or rather, worse. It gives no suggestions, no hopes. It loses its worth. You want to change the mirror and actually do it but the result is the same.

We need a very different mirror to tell us the truth. It comes with your body when you were born. Guaranteed for life. Give it any other name you like- soul, conscience, heart, inner self. This mirror inside never speaks a lie. The problem is we need inner eyes to see our own reflection in our own mirror. This is very unique mirror- personalized and customized to the minutest details. This mirror resides in your body, the only house it recognizes. It lives with you to last till you last. It keeps on giving very useful information.

And trust me. You do not need a guru or God. You don't even need to know how to read and write. You have to be just honest to yourself.

Being honest to yourself can be real risky. I learnt the hard way. But then the mirror in me said, worry not my friend, I am with you.

2. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:True Reflection on life. True Mirror that goes beyond merely reflecting is your critics Critique. It could be your better-half, your siblings, parents and jigri dhosts. But in one's hectic phase of life, every day spent in tearing hurry seldom they get time to look at any type of "mirror" including concave and convex. Thanks and regards. God Bless Us All.

3. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

There are certain lessons we learn from the mirror.
    1.When we have some dirt or stain on our face, the mirror just shows it off.It shows the defect as it is.It does not exaggerate or undersetimate the dirt.

In the same way when you find certain shirtfalls or defects about your wife, husband, friend or relative, we should point out only to the extent it is present. We should not over exaggerate or hide certain truths and are expected to be impartial as a mirror.We should make a mountain out of a mole or totally undervalue the defect.

2.The second lesson is:- The mirror shows out the dirt or stain only when you stand before mirror.Once you leave the vicinity of mirror,it becomes silent.
    You are expected to point out the defects of others just when they are present. You are not advised to say anything behind their back.

3. Yes, the mirror shows the dirt,stain or boil that is present on your body.But you don't get angry with the mirror.If anyone point out our mistakes, we are supposed to rectify ourselves and not get irritated.

Whenever you stand before the mirror,let these three lessons beautify your mind.
    When we can learn such lessons even from the ordinary mirror, why not we from the mirror of conscience

jayasala42

4. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Hariji,
    Good one.
    Physical appearance , we would like to see in the mirror again and again and try to improve on it. Make up etc. Tools are cosmetics or change some styles of dressing and on and on.
    But do we do the samething with the mirror of conscience? Many times not. Because listening to conscience, following its advice is not as easy as with ordinary mirror. We have to be honest and truthful and make an effort. It is a difficult chore. So, we try to avoid as much as possible. But with effort if we are able to follow it we do not need a Guru....absolutely. To become capable of it we need an anchor, we are human beings .....we try take the help of reading scriptures or great words and teachings of sages. Prayer or Puja is a part of it. But still there is no guarantee that we would be completely successful. Even a little is enough.
    Listening to critics...we take them from people we love or like. But not with everyone. If a politician tells about honesty and truthfulness do we listen? Absolutely No!
    It is a complicated and difficult path, no doubt. But that should be the direction, Atleast.
    Thank you.
    Syamala

kkrish likes this.
  5. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mr Hari,
    The mirror in our home only reflect our outward appearance.
    The inner mirror in our body which is our conscience, if it is clear and without any blemish that will make our face radiant.
    PS

6. HariLakhera

Dear Shri Thyagarajan,
    Very true. We can see our reflection on the faces of our near and dear ones also. Some amount of appreciation on their faces reflects our own feelings. There are many mirrors.

7. HariLakhera

8. HariLakhera

Dear Jayasala,
    Thank you so much for your feed back. All the four points are very relevant. The job of a mirror is to show the reality. I would like to quote a few lines of a poet:

Sach Ghate ya badhe to sach Na rahe
    Jhoot ki koi intaha hi nahi.
    Chahe sone frame me jad do
    Ayana Jhoot bolta hi nahi

(English: truth can neither be understated or overstated, it is always remains the same. It is only the lie that has no limits. Even if we put the mirror in a golden frame, it will never speak a lie).

But it is also true that we expect the mirror to show us what we want to see. Once we grow old, we don't even expect that. It gives us no useful information.
    But this is about the mirror outside us.

There is a mirror inside us. Do what we may, it will always tell the truth. The more we look into it, the better we will know ourselves.

I appreciate your views.

9. HariLakhera

Dear Syamalaji,
    Thanks for your comments. You are perfectly right. The mirror outside is for improving our appearance. The mirror inside is to improve our overall personality and character. As humans, we have many limitations. There is constant fight. One way is to ignore the observations of this mirror, which is easy. The other way is to obey it to the extent possible. Gradually, we will find that we are agreeing and following with it on many points and that is bringing happiness in us. That's a good progress.

10. HariLakhera

Dear PS,
    Hundred percent true. This is exactly what I want to convey. Thanks a lot.