Mind Over Matter: The Meditation Club

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Gauri03, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

To get into cross legged squat again for those who could not get it easily, begin taking a slouching posture on the bed with support of two three pillows at your back at head side of the bed. Try squat cross legged. And by and by stagger to erect posture. But then remember to stop the moment it hurts somewhere. For obese already this method is not suggested.

1Sandhya likes this.
  2. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

@Viswamitra and @Thyagarajan thanks for your suggestions. I will try to use a back support. I guess what I‘m really looking for are suggested stretches and toning exercises to restore flexibility to those areas over time so I can sit for longer without discomfort.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

@Gauri03 and @Viswamitra sir this question is for you both.. Correct me if i am going wrong anywhere .
    Ever since I started using calm app for meditation I am finding that I am falling asleep while meditating. Initially I thought it's with the timings. But no matter what time of the day I sit this is happening. I go with the flow and be the instructions I hear in the app.I stopped keeping timer since I started using this app. So I realise after starting to meditate am not having any thoughts(I find this really magical )After 15 20 mins I realise I'm asleep(even in sitting position).
    Is this practice okay?

4. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

It’s quite normal. I used to fall asleep a lot, still do sometimes. It usually happens when I meditate right after waking up or immediately before bed and I am not completely alert. Sometimes in the afternoon too if I am feeling drowsy. Happens more when I meditate in bed. Change of place and position helps a lot. I try not to get too cozy. I sit on the floor in a spot where I can feel some breeze. That mostly solved the problem for me.

Anusha2917 and Viswamitra like this.
  5. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

To restore flexibility you will have to slowly stretch out and strengthen all the muscles that support the knees - Quads, ITB, hamstrings, claves and glutes. There are some pretty comprehensive stretches and strengthening exercises here - Knee Stretches: Reduce Knee Pain & Prevent Injuries. The recommendation is to start with the stretches and move to the strengthening exercises only when the stretches don’t hurt anymore. I’m working through these myself.

Also performing a few sets of Suryanamaskars every day should help with overall flexibility.

Anisu, 1Sandhya and Viswamitra like this.
  6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@Anusha2917,

I never used Apps to meditate. But I agree with @Gauri03 that when the mind experiences calmness, it tends to stimulate closing of eyes and resultant sleep. For example, I was excessively tired this morning because of lot of mental disturbance yesterday. So, I decided to recite Gayatri Mantra mentally while focusing on breath cycle. When mind is busy on one thing, it tends to remain alert.

Anusha2917 likes this.
  7. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

Thanks! I'll check out the link. Also my problem is not so much the knees as my hips and the hip joint. My left hip joint is super stiff. It's an old issue which started with my first pregnancy and subsequent epidural. So if you have any good hip stretching exercises do pass them along. currently I'm doing dead pigeon and spinal twists and it's really giving me a lot of relief.

Gauri03 likes this.
  8. Viswamitra

@1Sandhya,

I have a hip issue as well. I do the following exercises:

1) Sit erect in a chair and bend the hip to bring the face closer to thigh.

2) Lift right knee with both hands around it to bring it parallel to the torso. Lift the left knee with both hands around it to bring it parallel to torso.

3) Keep the right foot above the left thigh and bend the hip forward to bring the torso parallel to thigh. Repeat the same exercise with the left foot above the right knee.

4) Stand straight and bend the hip to bring the torso parallel to the legs and try to touch the floor without bending the knees.

5) Twist hip towards right and then twist towards left.

Gauri03 and 1Sandhya like this.
  9. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

Thank you @Viswamitra
    Yeah, this one I already do but while lying on my back on the mat. It's called dead pigeon yoga pose.
    I also do #'s 4 and 5.

I couldn't understand what you meant here. Do I bend down to touch my knee or bring my leg up while sitting erect?

This I also do but on the floor lying down.
    Thank you for the suggestions. I'll try the chair versions of these as well.

10. Viswamitra

Yes. Face should touch the thigh and the hands will go down to touch the floor.

1Sandhya likes this.