1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mil Visiting Usa With Her Brother And His Wife

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by gknew, Feb 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

My mil is in central govt job and earns more than his brother. He is in state gift job and warm lesser than her. So mil always spend money to him and his family. Even when we go there, we used to spend for him and his family. We even gave him some money to get his scooty. We don't want him to get a loan.
    They know about ticket cost and not sure if they know about visa cost.

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@gknew,

Here is a budget for you:

1) Air travel expenses assuming they travel economy: $1,500*3 $4,500
    2) Visa for 3 people $200*3 600
    3) Medical insurance for 3 * 300 900
    4) Site-seeing expenses one long trip and one shorter trip 6,000
    750+250 = $1,000 X 2 X 3 person
    (This is the most expensive line item)
    Total expenses $12,000 (estimated)

Notes:

1) Most travel insurance covers hospitalization and hence please make sure everyone brings their own medication from India and regular doctor visits would cost extra.
    2) Review the terms you have executed if you are living in an apartment about how many could stay in an apartment and how long?
    3) If you are employed, make sure you explain the fire hazard and other security needs to the relatives
    4) I have not included an increase in day to day expenses as a courtesy
    5) Make sure you set your expectations of your children to work their schedule despite the presence of the relatives
    6) Plan your meal plans way ahead before they arrive and just follow that routine
    7) Don't compromise your routines except over the weekends
    8) If your children still speak your mother tongue ask them to refresh their mother tongue
    9) If possible, stay back when they go on sight-seeing trips so that it could be a good break during those 3 months.
    10) Don't undertake any other new projects during their visit.

abcd5, Vaikuntha, shravs3 and 2 others like this.
  3. ragzz

ragzz Silver IL'ite

Many parents’ /elders’ tickets are paid by the kids in phoren, irrespective of whether the elders can afford it or not. Has been the case in many of my friends and family circle. Not saying we cant question the practice, but maybe I am a bit surprised when people act baffled by the practice. Maybe things changed and I dont know.

4. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

I am a SAHM and not working.
    Thanks for putting on the expenses here. I didn't think about the total expenses and it's a huge amount though. We have to do some financial adjustments.
    My kid is not very fluent in my mother tongue and they always tease him and criticise that he doesn't speak our language. I used to be with him all the time helping him to talk and make correct sentences. Kid is improving on that and hope he will get used to it when they are here. Sight seeing going to cost me a lot. They don't like sitting at home. So, I am also looking for some your groups where they take Indian elders for sight seeing. I have once seen in NY a bus full of Indian uncle's and aunties came for the sight seeing. I talk to them and they said it's East coast trip and all elders trip.
    We also can take them for few trips based on dh holidays. Other times, I am planning something like this.

Viswamitra likes this.
  5. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

If it’s just the MIL visit, this thread wouldn’t have been this long.

It’s someone from extended family who has not even discussed with OP and her DH regarding the trip and expecting them to take care of everything is definitely surprising!

Angela123 and gknew like this.
  6. ragzz

ragzz Silver IL'ite

Yes it will be surprising if my uncle expected that. But thats the whole thing - The dynamics are different. In this case, if it was MIL and her Hubby then it wont be surprising, but her H passed away, and so maybe we arent in that situation so we wont understand that dynamics fully of how she has grown closer to her bro after her H's demise.

7. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

They are just applying for passport . There is a chance their visa might get rejected . If mil cannot stay in Bangalore what is the probability that will stay in us and keep coming back . What if mil sponsors their tickets . Isn’t too early to worry ? The request hasn’t come yet . Mil looks like a reasonable person who has not bothered the couple when they lived in India . After 9 years of marriage first time after retirement she is planning to visit her son . Husband seems to be reasonable person too . OP is worrying even before request has come through .

peartree likes this.
  8. mangaii

OP complaining about Mil not visiting her other son seems to be like she doesn’t want to entertain them . Summer camp for 6 year will get ruined because of grand parents visit seems to be over imagination.

peartree likes this.
  9. mangaii

So if parents come as substitute for nanny it is ok for kids to pay tickets but if they want to come here for sightseeing their ticket cost has to be covered by them ?
    Most of kids who came to us are from middle class . There is very little population of parents who pay for their own tickets . My parents exhausted all their savings on our education so I’m not sure how they are expected to pay for their visits .

10. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

Agreed. It should not matter to op, if her co sister takes care.
    OP can take care of her mil with a good heart

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.