1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mil Visiting Usa With Her Brother And His Wife

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by gknew, Feb 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

Yes. Tickets, visas ,health insurance,
    Sightseeing expenses within USA all add up to lots of dollars

shravs3 and gknew like this.
  2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Medical insurance for visitors is a must and is not cheap.

gknew likes this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

And taking time off from work to take them around.

===============
    Medical insurance's importance cannot be emphasized enough. In our small circle of friends and colleagues, we have seen healthy parents in early to mid-60's need sudden hospitalization within a week of landing in the U.S., and how they were lucky to have insurance. Don't fall for the stories like "go to emergency care", "don't sign any document in the hospital, you'll be fine", "hospitals cannot refuse medical care", etc.

4. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Exactly the same point. I am not very stingy too. I am a very generous person too. Even me and dh were planning to bring mil here in a few months after her retirement. We are currently in an 2 bedroom apartment, so we thought of buying a house and invite her here.
    His uncle will not spend anything. It's going to be my dh. He will not spend much money. My mil will do most of the things for him and her daughters. They are in mid twenties.
    It doesn't mean I hate them. I just want them to consider our financial situation too before they wish to plan a trip.

5. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

@Rihana,
    Thanks a lot for the reply!!
    And about the Emergency care..I heard the exact words from one of Dh's colleague. He is in US for past 15 years. He said that he won't get the insurance and he was telling this as a tip to one of our friend. Don't give any address or your information and just get the medical care. Once the hospital reaches you through phone, just tell them that they are visitors who visited and I just accompany them to the hospital. Looks like many Indians are doing like this.
    I understand that insurance is a must.

6. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

We can take care of mil expense. That's not a problem. We have to do that.
    For extended families, we have to spend as much as our own family. If they are here, it's our expense starting from visa fee till buying the gifts to them and their families and friends.
    I don't know how to say No if they self invite themselves. I won't talk harsh too. I am totally a soft person and that's why they all take advantage of me.
    DH has a younger brother and his house in Bangalore. No one visit him. Either mil or her brother.
    My BIL just comes home during festivals and won't invite others to his house.
    You are right. If they like it here, they might come every year too.

shravs3 and Sunshine04 like this.
  7. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

Even with insurance, hospitalization will cost huge money with deductibles and copays.
    If the family is rich enough like you :banana:, they can manage.
    But many families would have just started saving up., it's too difficult for them.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    Angela123 likes this.
  8. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Don’t listen to stories like this. If the hospital wants to then they can sue you into bankruptcy. They have many more resources than the patient if they are determined to get their money. We see stories in the paper all the time about how aggressively medical debts are collected.

Rihana, gknew and Sunshine04 like this.
  9. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

What a memory, Rih! Thanks for the acknowledgement.:)

yellowmango, gknew and Rihana like this.
  10. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

If you are sure that all 3 are visiting then better postpone the plans of buying home. Else they will take more advantage.

Firstly is your DH ready to bear all the expenses for them? If then there is nothing much you can do.

There is a rule in US that more than the intended number of people are not supposed to stay in the apartments for longer durations especially months together. So try conveying the same to them.

Tell your MIL that she can come to US alone so that you and your DH wants to spend time alone with her as it’s been long time something like that.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    gknew likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.