1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

MIL spends luxuriously and gives money to married SIL

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by shalinis, Jan 11, 2015.

1. shalinis

shalinis Bronze IL'ite

My MIL spends a lot on clothes, gives gifts to relatives unnecessarily. Every month she takes 5000 as pocket money from my husband apart from clothes, medicines, groceries to her home. she gives that money to SIL where my SILs daughter also stays with my mil. my husband has to spend everything for mil,fil,sil,and her daughter's education. my husbands brother will not spend a single penny on des people and enjoys his life with wife n son. my husband thinks about his mother,sister and her daughter. we are recently married. he doesnt bother about spending time with me. thinks abt des people. i have to earn my pocket money where every body gets it from my husband. i really dont know wat to do in future

2. indoc

indoc Gold IL'ite

I guess your hubby is the eldest son.. and he giving money for groceries and medicines to PILs is OK (if they don't have any source of income of their own like pension)..

What you need to do now is have a talk with your husband about finances.. plan such that you will invest xxxx amount of money per month as savings.. starting monthly RD will be a good start.

3. shalinis

shalinis Bronze IL'ite

Spoke with him.. he says its his responsibility and calls sil's daughter as his daughter. he doesn't spend single penny on himself like other guys who goes out with friends, dresses up nicely.. he says he lives only for his family and asks me not to interfere in these things. For a guy either mother or wife will be priority but he says his priorities are mother, sister, sister's daughter, father, brother and wife. all are equal. he loves me but i'm one among those whom he loves.. I asked him to spend some time for himself, to relax. but he doesn't bother and says that his happiness lies in des people. And they dont know the value of money spends lavishly while husband thinks for eACH and every small expense and saves for them.

4. sheztheone

sheztheone Platinum IL'ite

OP, if you are recently married and your H has openly asked you not to interfere, there is not much you can do at this point. If you are working, what is his attitude towards your money? He does not ask you anything about it , or does he expect you to devote your salary to his family? If it is the former, I would suggest that you let him contribute towards household expenses and plan savings/investment out of your salary. Also if you wish to financially support your family, start doing that without worrying about what DH or PILs might say. If questioned, you can say that you are just doing for your folks what your H is doing for his.

5. Joyoflife

Joyoflife Gold IL'ite

Indusladies will be very useful to you. Bless the person who has made this site. Ask your husband if he already had so many people in his life whom he loves and cares same as his wife, then why he needed a wife. Ask him if you can include your parents and siblings in his list too. You will need a lot of tact and patience. Give your marriage some time. Do not complaint but make an investment plan with him, from both of your incomes for just two of you. Keep coming here on IL you will get a lot of ideas.

nakshatra1 and bron like this.
  6. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

If you are working, then take charge at least of your own money. Invest as much as you can so it cannot be easily taken for other needs.
    It is good of your husband to help your parents in law, within reason.
    Is the SIL's husband in the picture? Why is your husband spending for her family?

2 people like this.
  7. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

....sorry,wrong thread.

8. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

OP...what is the situation with sil?Why is her daughter with in laws and why does your husband support sil's education...why not sil's husband?
    What part of his salary does he spend on in laws?Why isn't the other brother contributing? Has he been asked?

Do you work? or plan to work?

9. shalinis

shalinis Bronze IL'ite

SIL is married and have college going children.mil says she got married at early age and her husband isn't earning much as my DH. so she brought up both the children where my fil supported dem. my husband supported since he started earning. but that dont study well. my DH has give money for donation seat in college which costs around 4 lakhs. also my mil saves pocket money of hers and buys gold to the girl which is meant for medicine. end of the day she again complaints about health.

DH's brother is not contributing becoz of his wife and kid. his wife had fight and left home for few days. then she was convinced dat her husband is not going to spend single penny on anybody. they got car, ac, plots ... while my husband was asked to build new home for mil to stay where dey have old home. but we are staying here on rent.

10. shalinis

shalinis Bronze IL'ite

now my DH goes to office on week days and weekends to home town for parents hospital or arranging somethings fr dem. he told me before marriage he has to tc of family. but to this extent??? now i got a new job in other city but its a career break. i'm planning to shift and concentrate on career and earn for myself. he thinks dat i'm working so no need to give anything to wife. he wont give anything untill i ask but for other family members he tc and gives more than they want. he thinks dat i'm selfish.