1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mil Irritating Me So Much

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Needtobestrong, Sep 6, 2020.

1. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

2. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The next time the size of your body comes into the conversation, why not say - “Really? Looks that way? Good, that’s exactly what my husband prefers. Let me go show him.” Walk to your room and let her keep fuming. That ought to put a stop to it.

PS: I would love to see her expression then :)

Needtobestrong likes this.
  3. kaluputti

kaluputti Platinum IL'ite

Funny that I am here....ha.ha...being an MIL...had been a DIL..First and foremost MILs are there to irritate....:grimacing:. It is also common knowledge that when we dont like a person/persons,or vibe well, even casual unintentional utterances can be looked upon as deliberate insults. Time and again I have always posted here that once our innings are over, we should sit in the pavilion and not get involved in the lives of the next gen..But this is not easy on us either, we are accused of not caring enough. so...
    And here I will give 2 different instances that happened with our g.son to show how the perspective from different sides will be.

1. The 14 yr old had come the other day to help us with some tech issue in our computer. Conversation went like this.
    Me: Will send this video your mom had asked, tomo morning...but..she might not be able to watch it till night since it is a school day...eh....
    g.son: What patti, why? she is always with her phone watching movies throughout the day...though she doesnt allow me to even touch the phone during the day or night.
    Me:Hey, she has to cook brkfast to make you start the class at 8.45 and for appa , then the maid will arrive, cook lunch, take care of your snack brk, lunch brk, monitor you whether you are attending the session properly, attend to the dog..etc., etc., so only when you wind down for the day, she can relax enough to watch it.
    g.son. Yes, patti, but.......!

2. G.son: Patti, amma is always scolding me for anything and everything..both appa and amma gang up and find fault, it is very suffocating.
    Me: Its ok, kanna, this is a tough time for all of us, cooped up with the same people for hours,days and months together. We get tired of each other quickly...and remember they are concerned about your welfare..

Now the relationships might vary, but this situation is the same. Perspectives of each person might vary in the same situation.

Each successive generation has been wiser, knowledgeable and very enterprising but the stress of day to day life, kids etc.,are way beyond the extent it was before...so it wears people down easily..Yes, like some one said there is nothing like humor to get over difficult times.Let us beat this virus initiated quarantine with love, laughter and fun.

winterhue and Needtobestrong like this.
  4. Needtobestrong

Thanks @Laks09
    That’s exactly what I wanted to say...but frankly was too shocked as it was an unexpected remark and in the moment couldn’t think of a retort...the fact is that she herself has gained a lot of weight due to her sedentary lifestyle...she says even smallest work makes her tired and unwell, how will she burn calories..

Laks09 likes this.
  5. Needtobestrong

Thanks for sharing your perspective as an MIL...only thing is that sometimes the wrong thing told at the wrong time causes bad impression...
    I always keep trying to tell myself that she’s well meaning and has my best intention s at heart..but that doesn’t work out...when I was facing a severe crisis at work ...in such situation some advised me to change the project, change the job, or do higher studies etc..but She was sarcastically saying I should leave the job and sit at home as I cannot manage it...when I took a break and then later on unsuccessfully made attempts At getting back to work with different obstacles ,I.e I couldn’t get job... she made many sarcastic remarks about the time and money and efforts I spent on my courses and training so and certifications..as if it’s all a waste...when I was diagnosed with multiple health problems , first concern isn’t for my health or recovery, but how I will do entire work of the household and let her and FIL sit freely and take rest if I’m not well...though fact is not a single day I could take rest or be excused of my chores even while unwell....And also she told indirectly that I knew of few of my health issues much earlier but didnt get it tested or treated and dint reveal it etc...such things are leaving a very bad taste in my mouth..so even other times if she is genuinely in a good mood and cordial and talks to me normally, .I m always vary of her and don’t feel fully comfortable with my MIL..thinking what is going on in her mind...sad but true..

kaluputti likes this.
  6. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

At #2 I had provided the humour idea!

kaluputti likes this.
  7. kaluputti

kaluputti Platinum IL'ite

Best idea ever...though it is very difficult to shift the mode..:)

Sarcasm spoils many relationships, these people should think twice before uttering such remarks...unless they deliberately want to insult or hurt...and that would not be fair.

Needtobestrong and Thyagarajan like this.
  8. Needtobestrong

True...and this is why I’ve developed a deep seated hatred and resentment for my In laws over a long period of time...right or wrong I don’t Know...

kaluputti likes this.
  9. Needtobestrong

If other ladies are also facing an issue of constant complaining by inlaws how do you handle it?
    Generally,
    For example, DIL slogging like anything doing chores but in laws nagging and finding fault like item not kept in proper place , or mopping is done too wet, ( wringing mop is not so easy). or accusing DIL of being lazy, or adding slightly more of certain ingredient in food, or Tadka or spice added slightly more in dal or side dish or Upma etc...or nagging that they got bored of the menu and want varieties of dishes...sometimes DIL may take help from her husband for certain chores and be criticized for it as household chores are considered as female domain by these old fashioned people.....sometimes these in laws make such stupid complaints about such small things and make it a big issue. .the situation is such that many Indian households dont have domestic helps and work need to be shared by all in joint family...not possible for one perosn to do hundred percent everything and not possible for anyone to do any task hundred percent perfect when they're exhausted and have so many other things to handle...
    Got such feedback from my friends who are working ladies and in joint family...
    How do you handle inlaws who are ever complaining and never satisfied?

10. nakshatra1

nakshatra1 Platinum IL'ite

Its very sad- we want to create a happy home for our husband, kids and inlaws.
    But they are more interested in spoiling the marital peace . Such people do not realise the value of life, family and relations. They sabotage their own family. All those years of bonding wasted in non issues and toxicity.

Needtobestrong likes this.