1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mil intervention to such an extent! Is it normal ....?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Meera0500, Nov 4, 2012.

1. DrKadambari

DrKadambari Gold IL'ite

When ever MIL asks say - maaji aapke bete se hi putchiyegha and leave the place ( ask your son pls)

Same to SIL also tell her ask her bro.

Say it casually and dont show any emotions.

2. meVaidehi

meVaidehi Platinum IL'ite

Kadambari is right.
    Even I did that. I used to tell them go ask him. He would tell them "Let us decide and we'll let you know".
    You shouldn't be losing your sleep over this. There would be plenty of bigger matters than this. Don't let them bother you. Its the decision you and your husband can make nobody else. Make it clear to them so they know their boundaries.

Vaidehi

2 people like this.
  3. abhi09

abhi09 Senior IL'ite

Its totally normal..I know how stressful it can get and i have spent lots of nights without sleep...I am also facing the same situation and the worst thing is its from both the sides..his parents and mine are just torturing us..The best thing you can do is ignore or next time she asks ..directly tell.."ask you son about it"
    We stay in a diff place and whenever someone from his side ask i just tell them ask your son about it and hand over the phone to him..and escape..but i don't know what to do with my parents..seriously i hate it..
    Most of the times i try to tell them in subtle terms that its a private decision but mum's think with their hearts and not brains so they don't care and still interfere..so best thing is ignore and do what the hell you want to do..otherwise like me you will end up spoiling your health due to lack of sleep etc..
    lucky you that your husband is supporting you...

4. SimpleGirl

SimpleGirl Gold IL'ite

I guess most of us have been in the same boat... the question start after a few months of marraige..

Once when my MIL asked me about it... I told her innocently... its not in my hands right... it all depends on your son.. we'll have when he is ready... believe me.. she never asked me that question again :)

1 person likes this.
  5. sweetshreya

sweetshreya IL Hall of Fame

This problem is more intense for couple who have trouble conceiving. :-(

My MIL has started going all over the places with my horoscope in hand. For past sometime, she is even calling up my relatives, spreading word about my gynec issues and probing deeply about our family's pasts. That too when she knows there is no one in my family who does not have kids.

6. iyerponnu

iyerponnu Gold IL'ite

Yes OP, unfortunately most of us will have faced this. My mom-in-law did not open her mouth initially. But she would slowly drop hints like 'I am saving this up for my grand children'.. or 'my grand child should wear my son's first dress' etc. She once said that she had to be the first to lift my children. (This was exactly what she said). About a year after our wedding, when my mom started saying we shouldn't be delaying things, my mom-in-law said that we shouldn't hurry things. My younger sister conceived immediately, and when we told her, she cried.. saying that things were not working for her (meaning my mom-in-law).. She wold complain, but when I suggested that we both visit a doctor, she was very unhappy. She literally stopped us from going. When I went over her head and consulted a doctor, she wasn't happy that I was dragging her son when it was me clearly who had issues!!! I tried to explain why things were not working for us, to no avail. Now, every conversation will end with 'I dont know if I'll be alive to see a grand child'. To be fair, she has never said grandson.. always grand child :)

I ve just stopped responding to what any one says.. Now it's been 8 years and we are still trying. We just moved countries, so all our records need to get transferred.. so there s the long wait for that. This has led to new questions about whether we ve got our records and an appointment with the doc...

Just ignore.. it is difficult. Or as others have suggested just point to ur husband ;)

Mythili

7. silvertulip

silvertulip Platinum IL'ite

I might sound mean, but tell ur dear MIL gently that she can be suspected of causing female foeticide if she will talk so much about having a grandson! And female foeticide might be a punishable offence soon! May be then ur MIL might keep her mouth shut! :evil:

8. suganvijay

suganvijay Platinum IL'ite

this is the best option i second.... coz i follow this.... ;)

1 person likes this.
  9. Tashsin

Tashsin Gold IL'ite

Damn normal so don't react so much....

10. swt.charu

swt.charu Platinum IL'ite

Smriti dear... that cracked me up...

My MIL believes that I have my child solely because of her prayers and nothing else that we "did" actually matters...

As per her we were never destined to have a child... but for her sincere applications to the Almighty...

PS : I totally understand their so called care and Love... but expect them to acknowledge the fact that we too "love" our own lives as much as they do...

2 people like this.