1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

MIL giving hard time

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by semaphore, May 27, 2010.

1. kma

kma Gold IL'ite

Semaphore,

Sorry for the delay in response. Your problem seems to be more deep rooted than typical visiting MIL syndrome. Like Riya and chocolate suggested, I think you should stay in your home and fight the war. Dont give up that easily.

2. Tridev

Tridev Silver IL'ite

Its not easy to say stay and fight the way . The reason is if DH is not on her side and also gets sandwiched between all three , he would not know how to douse the fire.. If the situation is really bad and the real culprits are MIL and SIL, DH should make arrangement to keep them away for the matrimonial peace....

3. riya123

riya123 Gold IL'ite

Tridev,

If OP leaves that house right now, then her MIL can easily continue with poisoning.. She is not the kind who wants her son-DIL to be happily married.. If that was her intention then she wouldn't have spilled the beans.. She would have minded her business..It is not the case here.. If she leaves the house, he'll get even more sandwiched and may be increase his drinking too..
    I know for OP, staying there would be tough but only rough seas make a skillful sailor.. She needs to stand there and assert her position there..

I also know, that her Husband should take action and keep his FOO away for matrimonial peace but since he is not doing it, semaphore needs to take up matter in her hands.. JMO

4. kma

kma Gold IL'ite

@Tridev,

OP's MIL is creating problems, that's true, but the main problem lies with her husband here like his drinking and occasional physical abuse IMO. Uncooperative MIL, short tempered hubby, small baby to be taken care of, all these must be taking their toll on OP . But if she leaves house now,things may worsen like Riya said.One thing at a time. When her MIL returns to India, half her problems would be solved. And then she can tackle her husband's drinking problem. JMO.

5. Visu2k

Visu2k Gold IL'ite

Semaphore, wait till your inlaws leave US and give it sometime after that. Presence of inlaws just complicates the situation. I am not supporting your husband but it is quite difficult to get cornered to decide between ones own parents and spouse (at least in the initial years of marriage). Just don't think too much about this situation, I am almost certain that things will be back to normal once your inlaws leave the place.

Concentrate on your little one, those moments are precious. You can't afford to lose them in midst of these silly issues.

6. ArunaSashi

ArunaSashi Bronze IL'ite

Wow does a person need to be in kitchen from morning to night to make food for a few people??!! beats me :idontgetit:

7. semaphore

semaphore Senior IL'ite

Well friends, thanks so much for advices.
    Pretty much responses are like situation will be diff after they leave. But DH is acting weird and putting all his real feelings out.

latest update: FIL doesnt want to talk and wants to quit this situation asap(This was told to me in privacy by him..). Since parents had talk with fil and he's answerable to my parents, wanted him to handle his son's bad habits. I lost hope on fil too. MIL is enjoying the drama.

Cold fights are still happening. He talks non-stop and said he's least bothered me quiting his life(I never mentioned anything abt diviorce/seperation to him). I guess thats what he wants. No point in me breaking my head to save.
    So, I am thinking to quit everything and go back to my parents.

I lost all hopes with this man and have no clue left how I would live in loveless marraige raising a kid with a drunkard and sadist.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  8. MrsSaravanan

MrsSaravanan New IL'ite

If possible make FIL quit along with MIL to their home. There are people who act totally different when they are influenced (like ur DH, when MIL is around), and different when they are not.

Making your in-laws leave would help, than you leaving the situation.

As soon as possible, work on husband's drinking issue.

Good Luck :thumbsup

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  9. semaphore

semaphore Senior IL'ite

Hello All,
    I had been battling with thoughts and semi-decisions so far. List had seperation, leaving to India, battle myself alone here etc etc.

But last week decided to get parents here and have in-laws and parents talk out during last few days of my il's stay.
    So far has been 2 sessions. My father was very angry with my dh behaviour and respectlessness. He got up to hit him but we all seperated them.
    Usually my father is cool man but situation made him that angry. fil was kinda dual roled but was scolding my DH in many instances.

It was kinda pathetic situation to vomit out our few secrets but had no control. It was like cloth on thorns. After watching fil's cautious responses or scolding his son abt abusive nature and drinking issues , my parents suggested (in privacy) that
    its time to stay cool with DH and slowly re-gain the control after his parents leave.
    fil was telling me to just ignore or control my anger even though if DH acts weird etc etc.

Also, mil doesnt like me working(i figured out that she hates me being financially independent or so) ... fil opposed her though ...
    I also mentioned, its my decision to quit job or continue; mil dont have to tell me about it. Also, my sil is suggesting him to go back to India(which i dont want atleast for next few years..) Hate that dramas day to day.

My father isint satisfied and wants me to go with them to India since we all know fil is sugar coated and mil is B**** and DH is easily brain washable. My mother thinks I should give DH a second chance. Just bcos elders are involved and discussed. In this way, I can regain the control and help him decide as what our future plans are to go back and settle(since sil is intruding).

Mil isint satisfied with all this talk. She likes it to prolong with more fights.

My thinking:
    1) Should I give him second chance and be cool and take crap for a while and change him gradually; while have the job..
    2) Since DH feels insecure of me being financially independent, should I quit job in near future(In this way I can show him how much i dependent on him, kinda they like it i guess)?
    3) With all the conversations, my DH has become replica of his mother in talks and behaviour. So should I quit job and happily stay home and change my DH so that I WIN OVER my mil and their family.

I also think there is big ego in me coming in between for quiting job or anything that I might have to sacrifice or adjust. These ppl are not worth it.

I am just sick of living life while torturing my family to core.

Friends, pls suggest my sinking brain.
    Well, pls dont forget I have a 11 months old who is giving me energy. :)

10. ArchanaP

ArchanaP Silver IL'ite

Dear Semaphore,

According to current situation, you are on a hot pan.If you quit your job, then you are jumping directly into the fire from hot pan.
    IMO, it's not safe for you to quit the job, unless you really need a break from all the emotional drama.

I do not think your husband will treat you nice because you quit job and you are dependent on him. Can FIL,MIL and SIL completely stay away from your life until you two solve your issues.