1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

MIL doesn't eat food cooked by me!

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by cheenu123, Sep 24, 2014.

1. cheenu123

cheenu123 Gold IL'ite

These days we do not have a cook so me and my MIL take turns in cooking. I cook breakfast and also cook daal/sabzi for the lunch. We had the same system when I got newly married. For around 6 months we used to cook ourselves , however, when I joined work my DH coaxed my MIL to arrange for a maid and fortunately we got a decent one. Now for the last few days as I said, we have been on a maid/cook search again and have to manage kitchen. What surprises and sometimes irks me is the fact that MIL will eat whatever is cooked for the breakfast (poha/upma/sabudana/bread toast etc., as I can't manage an elaborate one) however, at dinner, she makes it a point to mention in front of the DH that I dint have what was cooked for lunch. I ate curd with rice or ate the sabzi that I myself made for dinner yesterday blah blah blah.
    I normally ignore all this as my DH wholeheartedly encourages my cooking and I am self assured that if not superb, I am a decent cook. I was wondering what sort of pleasure does she derive in making me realize at dinner time that she dint eat what I cook? Or that the maid/cook who left was an excellent cook? I have done a lot of introspection as well and realized that the maid used to follow the recipe that I would give her and that I never put excess of oils or masalas then why does she not like to eat what I cook?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014

2. Grihani

Grihani Gold IL'ite

Nothing to do with your cooking, just does not want to acknowledge you, and want to portray like she is not completely happy with your efforts. Just ignore, its her problem if she doesnt eat, others are eating the same food and they will know nothing is wrong with it. Some in-laws do not directly complain but show in different ways.

4 people like this.
  3. JigsSM

JigsSM Silver IL'ite

This might be her ways to torture or harass you mentally i mean in a nice way. Or just to show you that you do not know good cooking. MILs are like tat only they will never change.... :bowdown

4. sumalynux

sumalynux IL Hall of Fame

Moment i saw your heading i said to myself "Nallada pochi" i.e Good thing...

Tell her sweetly, "If you dont like my cooking style, y dont you cook yourself
    its ok i dont feel bad about it, gigglingsmiley

So you can Save your time and energy for cooking someone who doesn't appreciate efforts.

3 people like this.
  5. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Cheenu,
    Don't overthink this. Your MIL seems to be making a play for attention.
    If anything, cook for one less person at lunch. Sweetly say that you did not want food to be wasted if anyone asks why ;-)!

1 person likes this.
  6. Anamika99

Anamika99 Gold IL'ite

i do not think it is a good idea unless MIL said that explicitly that she does not like OP's cooking. It may work against OP. But like your idea about 'don't feel bad about it'.

she can say "o if you like food cooked previosuly, please feel free to cook more, i will not feel bad. And i will make less for lunch" or something that sort

1 person likes this.
  7. Weasly

Weasly Gold IL'ite

You dont eat what she makes then! She will understand the feeeling! What not theses mils do for seeking attentions! Worse than the drama queens also! Atleast they kniw when to stop but mils will just never budge!!:bang

3 people like this.
  8. dsmenon

dsmenon Gold IL'ite

Keep eating what she makes and also while having dinner (cooked by her) just say that some people are very fussy eaters. Even if you provide something from the 5-star hotels they can find complaints but i am not one of those; I can eat anything my taste buds can be satisfied with any type of food..

3 people like this.
  9. Anamika99

Anamika99 Gold IL'ite

i have done that in past....not becuase she does to mine...but just to show my anger on her overall ,she did not get it...so i went back on eating...lol

1 person likes this.
  10. Weasly

Weasly Gold IL'ite

Really !! They live in their own world it seems !! I wonder how is it that majority of the mils are like this !! SO out of touch with reality and such a huge sense of entitlement !! Witsend