Migrating to Australia - resources and information

Discussion in 'Indians in Australia & NZ' started by lahari, Nov 26, 2006.

Best gift for a new born and new mom

Poll closed Nov 19, 2010.
  1. Gift vouchers

66.7%
  2. Nappies for babies, flowers for mom

4.2%
  3. Clothing for new born, Bio-oil for stretch marks for mom

8.3%
  4. Baby name personalised photo frams, fleece, jacket

12.5%
  5. Pampering and Spa Gift vouchers for new mom to relax

8.3%
  6. Anything else please send on reply post

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. momfor2

momfor2 New IL'ite

Re: Moving to Australia

Congrats IsraJ :)
    Of what i know of : The small kids do not experience the 'racism'. They have better activities than the gulf and ofcourse lots of green space for the kids to play in , instead of the A.Cs they have out here.
    In other words, it is definitely better for the kids than the gulf and that is one reason for me to plan to move.

Have doubts on the ' Job front' as while i am following the expat forms- i see a LOT of IT applicants... and generally people HAVE to wait for 4-6 months. Once the visa is granted, We too will go one - by -one , As of now i would not want my husband to leave his established work/ kids disturb their schools ' Just like that'.....
    Lets see ... i guess there is a lot of 'WAIT first'

If possible, can you sare your dates for: application/ co allotment and visa grant ?
    Would like to get in contact with you, How do i send you a personal message?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2010
  2. PinkRubies

PinkRubies Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Re: Moving to Australia

Hi Israj

1. If you do not have a place to stay, im sure u would have to stay at a hotel/motel initially this website would be good for that :

2. Im a student, but weekly living costs me around $150 excl rent, electricity nd internet...so that would give u some sort of figure

3. which part of Aussie r u moving to?

4. As for schools, each state has its curriculum, and thats what private and public schools end up following. teaching quality depend from school to school.

5. No schools are not racist, as it would be a major offense to make a racist remark,

Hope this all helped, and wishing you a safe transition into Aussie :)

3. aanandhi

aanandhi New IL'ite

Hi all

I am migrating from singapore to australia by mid of next year. My hubby moving to HCL sydney this month. I found there is lot of discussion about melbourne- accomodations, rent, restaurants, temples, parlours.

I found only limited no of thread for sydney, pls input some msg abt sydney, where we find lot of indians in sydney, best place to stay there, market, shopping malls, playschool, indian shops, parlour, temples...We are new to australia need some advice from u guys..like to make some new frenz in OZ..

cheers
    aanandhi

4. nithysai

nithysai New IL'ite

Preschools/Kindergartens in melbourne

Hi ladies,

I am a new member of the forum. I am married and have a 2 year old kid. We stay in Melbourne. I am writing to know the schooling system here. Appreciate your inputs on the below:

1) I understand there are some expensive private schools and some less expensive public schools. But I am not sure how expensive the private schools are. Can somebody shed some light on that? Also with regards to the quality of education and extra-curricular activities how different the private and public schools are?

2) Schools in or close by CBD

3) When do they start issuing the applications?

Thanks In Advance,
    Sai

5. nandhika

nandhika New IL'ite

Best travel insurance in India to Australia pls help

Can anyone pls help me to find the best travel insurance company in India as my mom will be visiting us here in Australia from India this month and any personal experience with this will be highly appreciated. Really confused about which one to buy.

6. indianinmelb

indianinmelb New IL'ite

Re: Best travel insurance in India to Australia pls help

ICICi will be the best travel insurance, it ll cost rs 3500 for three months.

7. sathyamvasu

sathyamvasu New IL'ite

Migrating to Melbourne from India - Need info

Hi ILites,

My hubby would be posted in Melbourne from April on a long term assignment. We have applied for 457 visa and awaiting.

I need some urgent info abt melbourne, as we would be travelling shortly. We also have an one year old kid and want to be cautious before flying.

Need your help in getting the below info.

1. what wud be the Cost of living in melbourne for an average family of 3members (myself, spouse and 1 year kid). Will we be able to manage the monthly expenses within 2000 Aus$.

2. Can i get groceries, masala items and spices.

3. things to be carried from India. Any kitchen appliance like mixie, grinder or any non-stick kitchen appliances need to be carried ?

4. Any thermals or leather jackets to be carried as we would land there in April. Heard that May, june and july would be very cold. Is it ok to get jackets from India or can I land there with few sweaters and shop for jackets there in May (Hope the jackets that I purchase there would be apt to withstand the weather)

5. Where do Indians live most. What are the suburbs that are suitable to find a 1BR apartment. My hubby would work in Elizabeth Street, Melbourne. Keeping safety in mind, suggest some place of 30 mins travel to office.

6. Heard that renting an apartment is not that easy as US/UK. Since we are taking our kid as well, need some pointers to find an apartment.

thanks in advance.

regds,
    sathya m vasu

8. Tarun

Tarun New IL'ite

Re: Migrating to Melbourne from India - Need info

Hi,
    First of all good to hear that more Indians migrating to Australia. Well I am Tarun, working with Vodafone Australia as Assistant to Manager. Well Information you required is :
    Rent for a 1 BR will cost around $700 to $1200 , depends on the location. Indians live almost in every suburb of Victoria but still you will find most of them living in Epping,Cragieburn,Reservoir, Thomastown , Dandenong etc. Dandenong is far away from rest of the suburbs and city. You can try finding any 1BR appartment in Epping,Cragieburn,Reservoir, Thomastown as these suburbs are next to each other. $2000 should be good enough for living expenses as Basic food is not really expensive in Australia. Winters are coming up so I would suggest bring some warm clothes with you as clothing is not cheap here. Have a look at the immigration website before you try to bring anything into australia from india as some things like wood, seeds and food are not allowed to be brought in. I live in Broadmeadows which is just next to the all suburbs I explained above, We have a Indian community and we celebrate every event and occasion. My wife is a member of a Kitty in Australia and they have an Indian get together every month.

Thanks

Tarun

good luck !!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2011
  9. sathyamvasu

sathyamvasu New IL'ite

Hi Tarun,

Thanks for your valuable info. Definitly this shud help me. However also have some confussions on things to pack. Need calrity. Since you have moved from India, you might have a better idea on this.

Can i get groceries, masala items and spices? Anyways Im planning to bring some amount of basic things to start with till I settle down in a apartment. (May be for a week or 10 days). Is it worth bringing?

Tings to be carried from India. Any kitchen appliance like mixie, grinder or any non-stick kitchen appliances need to be carried ? PPL suggest me to bring mixie and grinder as well. But im bit concerned abt the baggage allowed. Kindly suggest which kitchen appliances need to be carried with me.

Also you had told me that 2000AUD shud be good enough. Does it include the rental too or excluding rental 2k AUD shud be sufficient.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Sathya M Vasu

10. Tarun

Tarun New IL'ite

Hi Sathya,

How all good at your end, Well you don't need to bring any masala or spices as they are available here in every suburb easily. Indian grocery shops are found everywhere in melbourne now. My only concern is that you would be living in City and you will find it hard to get any Indian grocery shop there. Where would you be staying when you arrive ??? Mixies and all other equipments you told be they are not really expensive here... a good mixie can be bought for $20 here and same with other things as well. You should think that you are migrating from India to Australia with family so first month would be really expensive as you need to buy everything to live. If you find a bedroom house for $1000 bucks then I can guarantee that $1000 is good enough for grocery for the month.If you talk about grocery on an average it should be around $300 per person a month unless you are organizing big parties lol. When are you arriving to melbourne ???? If you need more info you can text me on 0061403497508 and I can give you a call back as company pays for my phone.

Thanks

Tarun

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011