Migrating to Australia - resources and information

Discussion in 'Indians in Australia & NZ' started by lahari, Nov 26, 2006.

Best gift for a new born and new mom

Poll closed Nov 19, 2010.
  1. Gift vouchers

66.7%
  2. Nappies for babies, flowers for mom

4.2%
  3. Clothing for new born, Bio-oil for stretch marks for mom

8.3%
  4. Baby name personalised photo frams, fleece, jacket

12.5%
  5. Pampering and Spa Gift vouchers for new mom to relax

8.3%
  6. Anything else please send on reply post

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. soodshruti

soodshruti New IL'ite

Need Help regarding Accomodation in Melbourne

hi
    I am Shruti from India. My sister is migrating to Melbourne and will be reaching on 4th April 2010. We have still now not been able to find a good accomodation for her. We were looking forward to something like a family stay" type arrangements. Would be grateful if any body could help her as she is new and will be venturing on her own.
    Thanks
    Shruti

2. JasR

JasR New IL'ite

Schooling in Melbourne

Hai,

We have PR in AUS & are shifting to melbourne by mid of July . can any one help me in regards to schooling there ? my son is 11 years and completed GR.6 in Dubai and daughter is 5 yrs. Is there any entrance test for admission to Pvt. schools? what would be the approx. fee structure in pvt.schools? Is it possible to take admission for the academic year starts in Jan. 2011, once we reach there in July?

regards,

jasmine

3. sonypush

sonypush Junior IL'ite

Re: Schooling in Melbourne

Hello Jasmine,
    Saw your post and thought of getting in touch with you. I am also staying in Dubai planning to move to Australia. My son is in Grade 3 at KGS. Will be happy If I could get in touch with you as I am having apprehensions similar to yours.

4. JasR

JasR New IL'ite

Re: Schooling in Melbourne

Hai,

Of course, I would also like to have your details. we are leaving dubai by mid of June to India and planning to shift to AUS by mid of July. Are u shifting to Melbourne as well?

regards,

jasmine

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2010
  5. tajp

tajp New IL'ite

Migrating to Australia

Hi All,

We are planning to move to Australia, pls help us with all the details of cost of living, schooling, health care , etc required for new expats. We r currently living in Dubai and the offer is still in the discussion stage, so with all your help we can negotiate the salary. We r a family of 2+2 kids (one girl in garde 1 ICSE( Indian) and boy is 2 year old). Are there any Indian curriculum schools in Australia? What kind of salary should be sufficient if we have to move in , here we r on the high income category in Dubai. Kindly advice on the all the required things that we need to know when we r on negotiating terms with the employer as in heard a couple of stories of expats being exploited in terms of salaries.

Thanks and regards in advance. Kindly help.

6. rush2me

rush2me New IL'ite

Schools: academic session in au & class?

Since the schools in AU start from Jan, I am trying the see if my kids will be loosing a year with the shift to AU the next year or not.
    So
    For my younger one:(1 nov 2006 born)
    as on April 2011 age:5 yr 5 months class KG(cbse) she will be in which class in AU in Aug 2011? I guess that will be followed by class I from Jan 2012?

For my elder one (he is 1st may 01 born)
    In AUg 2011 he will be in class V in cbse- so he will be admitted to which class in Aug 2011 or Jan 2012?

7. rush2me

rush2me New IL'ite

Re: Migrating to Australia

Hi
    Would like to get in contact with you... am in Muscat and would like to know the basics of your visa-process eg:
    1. You processed your visa yourself / some agent?
    2. Did u submit the visa in UAE/ India?
    3. How and where did the police verification and health check happen?
    If possible pls mail me at 10muscat (at) g m a i l (dot) c o m.
    Thx.

8. cnnn

cnnn New IL'ite

study

Hi ladies,
    I studied b.b.a(business administration) in India. I like to study accounts in Australia. When I want to study here, what do i have to do?

9. lsraj

lsraj New IL'ite

Re: Moving to Australia

Hi

Just stumbled on a treasure trove of info:thumbsup. Quite recently we have been granted PR by the DIAC in the skilled independant category/ subclass 175. Both my husband's and my profession is currently on the MODL and we are migrating soon alongwith our 3 yr old cherub. What I would like to know is the current job prospect for IT security/ administrator and medical imaging professionals. For our visa validation purposes we intend to step in melbourne by next march and plan a stay for at least a month. If so, could you give an idea on the funding we may require for this, where could we possibly stay?
    We are moving out of UAE one at a time and I would like know on an average how much a middle class indian family would likely be spending in a month on basic needs there. We are used to cosmopolitan cultures yet would like to know how different its going to be from dubai, regardless of the religious culture. We have no relatives nor any friends currently in australia to gather more details...
    but am positive of many friendly ILites.:cheers
    As for schooling, I would like to know if there are any indian curriculum schools where you send your children or do they study in the national curriculum. How's the teaching quality? Is there ample space for child development? One more query is whether the much criticised 'racist' attitude has 'toddlered' into schools as well?

Thank you in advance for your time in reading these..but please reply,

lsraj.

10. ramee

ramee New IL'ite

Re: Moving to Australia

Hi,
    Your first question regarding job opportunities in Australia/Melbourne, they are in general very low.Regardless of GFC, opportunities here are low. This is not to discourage you, but you should give yourself a time frame of 3 months to find a job.
    Schools, you do have good schools here but it depends on what you are looking for in a good school. Government schools are quite good but academically they do nothing. Private schools might be a good choice but again depends on an individual's affordability.racism is not a threat in primary schools.BTW kids start school only at 5.